Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You say Christians "Shove our views on you" HOW do we do that?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM
  • 549 Replies
10 moms liked this

I have seen multiple people making comments that "Christians shove our faith down your throats, or that we push it on you"

But I honestly don't see how.

Now I fully admit there are Christians who go to far to share their faith. I don't deny that!

Most of the time though It starts as a mutual discussion.. And at some point THE ONE PERSON Decided "I don't want to hear any more" 

Is it ok that if a person decides that they are done with a discussion that they can simply cut another person off and end a discussion without atleast giving the other person the curtasy of letting them finish the thought they were trying to convey?

I simply ask that I be allowed common curtasy.

I try not to PUSH things on others.. But if there is an open discussion with someone WHY CAN'T people just be given a chance to finish? 

I admit.. Let them get out their thought.. 

Then say. I really am starting to feel uncomfortable in this discussion.. I would like to talk about something else..

Which should be fine with most people.. 

(NOTE THIS THREAD WAS CREATED TO DISCUSS THIS. Don't hijack my thread and say I told you you could say it..  If you don't wanna talk about this.. Go make your own thread! TYVM!)

by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcr17
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:23 AM
10 moms liked this

talking about your religion publicly, in my opinion is pushing it on people. i believe people should keep their religion to themselves,no matter what it is. if someone really wants to tlak to you about your religion, then go ahead, but dont do it in front of people that dont want to hear it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM

bump

MrsRiz1024
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM
12 moms liked this
Because some christians not only use any situation as an excuse to tell you to believe in god, but will get hatefully, violently mad if you say you dont. Ive seen plenty of "omg youre going to hell, blah blah blah, how dare you not accept jesus etc etc youre a terrible person"

There is a massive difference between being strong in your faith and being a jesus-nazi lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
couponluv72
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM
3 moms liked this

There is sharing ones faith and slamming it down throats during every topic discussion and there are a few so called Christians in this group who do just that. Everything gets judged and the bible is practically the be al and end all for anyting and anyone's lives as if no one else has a right to their own beliefs that are not Christian. 

AnnieMcD
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM
45 moms liked this

Most of us who believe that many Christians "shove their religion" down our throats, recognize the difference between a discussion and someone forcing their faith on it. I'll give you a couple do's and don'ts to avoid confusion.

1) DO have a mutual discussion about multiple faiths, and the differences and similarities.

2) Do NOT have a discussion about why your religion is the only TRUE religion, and all others are deceived. 

3) Do NOT just bring up religion to strangers. Unless you're online, this is never ok. 

4) DO show curiosity and open-mindedness about other faiths. 

5) Do NOT EVER threaten with whatever your religion's version of "hell" is. 

6) Do NOT discuss religion with someone's children, without the parent's prior consent. 

7) DO make a point of listening.

8) DO change the subject if one party requests it to be changed. There is no proper procedure. A simple "let's talk about something else" or even "you know what, drop it." is a perfectly acceptable way of communicating that you no longer wish to discuss a subject. Is it rude if it cuts off your thought? Probably. But I bet it's less rude than whatever that person will probably say to you if you insist on finishing your thought whether they want you to or not. 

mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM
7 moms liked this
I'm a Christian and I see it happen often. I think a lot of us just get too excited about our faith and go bubbling on and on about it when in reality it just comes off as obnoxious and over bearing. I have read threads like that before that make me cringe at how Christians handle themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tyrneathem
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

In most cases I agree with you that we should do our best to allow thoughts to be completed and to listen to another's point of view completely. We learn a lot by listening... even if we don't agree with what's being said.

Sometimes, though, there are those that do shove to the point of being rude or downright threatening. There was one instance that really stands out for me personally... a point I felt someone lost the right to my courtesy... and that was when my own uncle decided to tell me that it was his "Chrisian duty to stone [me] for [my] ridiculous beliefs." He went on a rant telling me I "had better change my thoughts or suffer the consequences" and told my mom she was as bad as me for "allowing this free-thinking nonsense." This all happened after the point I said the discussion would be best ended and we all walk away before it gets out of hand. He has since told people I had "better not get in his line of site if I dare show up where he is." 

alwayskk
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM
14 moms liked this

I'll give you a few examples. I can be in a post that has nothing to do with Christianity and if I mention my views on atheism, religion, humanity in general, there are certain Christians who will quote me, be rude and condescending, and start a debate with me, no matter what the subject matter is. Of course, they feel the need to call me names, call me arrogant, twist my words into something they're not.

If someone writes a post about being depressed, some Christians inevitably go in the post telling them they need Jesus, especially if they know this person is an atheist/pagan/ not Christian. They will tell that person that if only they read their bible, their problems would be solved. I find that extremely disrespectful and pushy.

I've been paying special attention to the facebook groups for religion or atheism. On the religious pages, I see a few non-religious folks trolling and being rude. On the atheism and secular humanism pages, the members are about 50/50 religious or secular. Now, why on earth would a religious person troll a facebook page for secular people, constantly starting arguments on their posts and reporting pictures they find 'offensive'? Because they want to push their beliefs on everyone else, that's why.

When people vote according to their religious beliefs, they are pushing their beliefs on everyone else.

Not to mention, religious symbols are just about everywhere I go. On the money I use, all of the buildings I pass, on billboards, in novels, in movies, music, on the radio, TV, all advertising, leaflets, public buildings, in school, EVERYWHERE. I don't think that someone could understand unless they are on the other side of the looking glass.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM
4 moms liked this
IRL, I have never started a mutual conversation with someone I don't know about religion. Born and raised in the bible belt.

You do the math...

ETA: And when someone tells me that my babies need church, or they are going to hell? You better believe that I consider that overbearing, pushy and RUDE.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Holy shit what a prick. 

Quoting Tyrneathem:

In most cases I agree with you that we should do our best to allow thoughts to be completed and to listen to another's point of view completely. We learn a lot by listening... even if we don't agree with what's being said.

Sometimes, though, there are those that do shove to the point of being rude or downright threatening. There was one instance that really stands out for me personally... a point I felt someone lost the right to my courtesy... and that was when my own uncle decided to tell me that it was his "Chrisian duty to stone [me] for [my] ridiculous beliefs." He went on a rant telling me I "had better change my thoughts or suffer the consequences" and told my mom she was as bad as me for "allowing this free-thinking nonsense." This all happened after the point I said the discussion would be best ended and we all walk away before it gets out of hand. He has since told people I had "better not get in his line of site if I dare show up where he is." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN