Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So, a kid falls off of an escalator....

Posted by   + Show Post

...how the FUCK does that happen??

A Five Sorry, NINE year old kid, at a Scarborough mall, in Ontario Canada, has fallen off of an escalator and is in CRITICAL condition.

As I am googling this story, I found the most horrifying thing.

It happens A LOT!!

HOW?!?!

How does a CHILD fall OFF of an escalator?

Where are the parents???

Boy rushed to Sick Kids hospital after escalator mishap at Scarborough Town Centre

Police said a 9-year-old boy fell on his head from this escalator at the Scarborough Town Centre on Tuesday.

Police said a 9-year-old boy fell on his head from this escalator at the Scarborough Town Centre on Tuesday.

LAURA STONE/TORONTO STAR
Graham Slaughter and Laura StoneStaff Reporter

A 9-year-old boy was rushed to hospital in critical condition after falling from an escalator atScarborough Town Centre on Tuesday afternoon.

Const. Tony Vella said the boy climbed up the escalator railing shortly after 4 p.m. before falling about six metres to the floor below. Vella said the boy landed on his head and was found bleeding from the mouth. He was unconscious but breathing when he was rushed to Sick Kids hospital.

Lucy Bocek, a sales associate at Things Remembered, witnessed the incident from her store.

“He was dangling by the side of the escalator with one hand," she said. "Half a second later he just fell flat on his face and he was knocked out.”

Bocek said an ambulance came about 20 minutes later and the boy was placed on a gurney, and he was flailing around in the ambulance bed.

Saman Habib was sitting nearby when it happened. "I saw the mother holding the kid. She was just crying. There were people telling her how to hold the kid because they weren't sure about the neck.”

A Bell employee also witnessed the accident and was sent home because he was shaking, his manager said.

The escalator area in front of the Walmart down to the bottom floor was roped off by yellow police tape.

Police are reviewing video footage, said Sgt. Mike Williams.

The area beside the escalator is surrounded by scaffolding marked with “Danger” signs. Police did not say there was a link between the scaffolding and the boy's fal

Sorry....

Needed to vent.

Sorry for this little boy. I hope he pulls through.

by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:39 PM
At least two walmarts here in san diego that i frequent have escalators.

Quoting Anonymous:

First off---"The escalator area in front of the Walmart down to the bottom floor was roped off by yellow police tape." ---since when does Walmart have escalators??? 

And secondly: I have a fear of escalators. I would rather take normal stairs or an elevator (though I am not fond of elevators either because of fear of getting stuck or "free falling")...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
two4one
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I'm in NY too, Long Island to be be exact. The only walmart that I have seen with an escalator is in a mall. The other two or three are all one story. I also have a two story kohls.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never seen a Walmart with an escalator. I've lived in about five states and visited over 75% of the US--and every Walmart has been a one story building. I guess I can see that one in New York would have one but it is still weird since I've never been to a Walmart with a 2nd floor. And besides--I don't really like Walmart anyways. I'm a Target girl--and never seen an escalator there either! 

Escalators are for malls and airports IMO.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

uhm, i live in NY and we have escaltors in our walmarts. so i am confused to why you think they don't

Quoting Anonymous:

First off---"The escalator area in front of the Walmart down to the bottom floor was roped off by yellow police tape." ---since when does Walmart have escalators??? 

And secondly: I have a fear of escalators. I would rather take normal stairs or an elevator (though I am not fond of elevators either because of fear of getting stuck or "free falling")...

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Years ago I was leaving the clubs at the mall of america.  they are in a 4th floor area.  A guy was riding on the railing and fell.  4 stories onto concrete.  it was like seeing a blood filled bug hit a windshield.  Splatter everywhere.

NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

the target in downtown minneapolis has one.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never seen a Walmart with an escalator. I've lived in about five states and visited over 75% of the US--and every Walmart has been a one story building. I guess I can see that one in New York would have one but it is still weird since I've never been to a Walmart with a 2nd floor. And besides--I don't really like Walmart anyways. I'm a Target girl--and never seen an escalator there either! 

Escalators are for malls and airports IMO.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

uhm, i live in NY and we have escaltors in our walmarts. so i am confused to why you think they don't

Quoting Anonymous:

SDarvasi
by Sarah Berri ♥ on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ouch!

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Years ago I was leaving the clubs at the mall of america.  they are in a 4th floor area.  A guy was riding on the railing and fell.  4 stories onto concrete.  it was like seeing a blood filled bug hit a windshield.  Splatter everywhere.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM

ive never seen a walmart with an escalator. im terrified of them

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM
My oldest sister did this when she was little. My grandmother was with her, she took off running up the escalator, started climbing the side rail and fell befor my grandmother could grab her. She was fine, just bruised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM
A guy in pr killed his daughter by throwing her off an escalator in the ponce mall. They have since banned strollers in escalators but dumb bitches- I mean... Moms still do it. They don't feel like waiting for the elevator.
Freela
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I live about twenty minutes from this mall- dh went to college about a block away.  For the record, the escalator is not actually in Walmart, it's near Walmart- in this case there is a shopping mall with a Walmart attached.  The escalator is in the main shopping mall. It's very sad... I hope the child recovers.  Obviously climbing up on the rail of an escalator is not a smart idea! 

I'm wary of escalators and kids sometimes- when I was a kid one of my laces got sucked into an escalator... my foot was basically getting twisted around and I couldn't pull my foot out because the laces had been pulled so tight before some stranger 'rescued' me by pulling the lace out.  And a couple of years ago, my nephew somehow got his Croc caught in the side of an escalator- it ripped off his Croc and ripped a hole in his sock and actually broke the escalator, as the Croc got wedged when the stairs hit ground level.  He was really shook up, and seeing what it did to his sock I don't blame him! I could see how you could potentially lose a toe or something if you didn't get your foot out quick enough... now I tell my kids to stand in the middle of the escalator instead of having their foot against the side.

tina08mommy
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)