Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

now our healthy food ambassador who is now overstepping her boundries our so called presidents wife is pushing for no cereal commercials during cartoons. Now this is getting to be overboard. they can advertise all they want I don't have to buy a cereal for  my kids and generally don't.  and they are pushing fruit which is high in sugar come on. your replacing one sugar with another.  If my kid said mom I want you to buy me this fruit thing for breakfast cause it was advertised on a cartoon my answer would be the same as buying cereal no to much sugar. what differnce does it matter who advertises what we are the parents we decide what is bought and what is not. the food police need to get off their high horse before we lose all rights as a parent. it is our job as a parent to say no. not the goverments job to dictate us like we live in china.

by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM
Replies (111-114):
waterlily89
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM
I just like originality, and it is very upsetting I am not very big on sweets as is and I use to watch him religiously lol I bake a lot but thts cause I need to do stuff to stay busy lol

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I agree and loved the cookie monster growing up and don't eat cookies except for very seldom. Don't actually like but 2 types of cookies. YEs his image made me eat way to many cookies. That is why I buy them maybe every 2 months if that.

Quoting waterlily89:

My kids dnt watch tv that often and thankfully aren't at the age where they understand commercials or the point of them... But that is messed up and I am highly upset that they are turning cookie monster into some veggie eating thing I understand they are trying to promote health but really?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I never said that you didn't know what was going on with your child.  You shouldn't talk about things you don't know about.  When you say that children with diabetes can't have fruit or can only have a little you are spreading misinformation.  I don't see how your sons allergy is the same as diabetes.  Your son can't have certain fruit.  People with diabetes can eat fruit and just count carbs in the fruit (and everything else they eat and drink) and take insulin accordingly. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

your right I do know little about the disease and would like to learn more. but I know what I have to do with my kid. and no it doesn't fit the diabetic rules, but it is similar.

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

Please stop using kids with diabetes in your reasoning.  Fruit isn't their enemy. You know little about the disease and how it's managed so please just stop. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

ok I will agree with the idea people don't know what is healthy and what isn't. I am pulling diabetic kids into this because it is the sugar my son can't have. I don't know if it is an allergy or not but it is the sugar acid combination he can't have. I basically give him a diabetic diet. He is only allowed 3 fruits cause they don't have acid in them and his body can tolerate it.  I never realized till this happened how much sugar I was consuming and god was I consuming a whole lot.

The worst part of this is I was doing it and not knowing it.  I always sit there now and go god that is a lot of sugar. Dont necessarily say it to other people but I sure do think it. That is why I would like to see other alternatives other than just apples offered. Or other alternatives to french fries.

When you put the bread off of the hamburger with the french fries and the sugar in the apple that turns to a lot of sugar in the body. people don't realize this and eat it thinking it is good for them or ok. but in the long run what effect will this have on  people.

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

Don't pull kids with Diabetes into your logic.  They eat fruit.  Carbs/sugar isn't the enemy.

Fast food offer that kind of greasy unhealthy food.  That's just  what they sell.  Apples are easy to put in the little bags and keep for a bit and they don't take up as much room for the place to store.  Bananas wouldn't be cost effective.  Apples are easy for little hands to hold onto in the car and don't make a huge mess if they get dropped and stepped on.

I'm sorry your son has an allergy.  It sucks but that does't mean that fruit is bad for the majority of the other children who do not have an allergy.  Our country has a problem with unhealthy eating and sedentary lifestyles.  Companies have pushed and pushed convenience foods on us so many people don't know what healthy and what's not.  They just look at what's easy to feed the kids.  Children and adults need to eat more fruits and veggies and less of the prepackaged convenience foods. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I realize this but why push something some kids can't have. that is pointless. They are trying to tell us what to feed our kids and make our kids ask for it. The parents with the kids with food allergies or diabetic kids are getting the short end of the stick here.

Mom I want an apple. Sorry son you can't have it. Mom I want strawberries. sorry daughter you can't  have it. but mom the tv says it is good for me. Mom responds but I would rather you alive than dead.   Not all kids can have these things.  some Have allergies.  So why not just take off the cereal commercials and not replace them with fruit commercials. 

Have you noticed how many cartoons the characters are eating apples in them. No oranges, bananas, watermelon, cherries it is always apples. Subliminal messages are great.

In the mickey d happy meals they reduce the fries and add apples. that ups the sugar of the meal why not offer radishes with the meal as a parental choice replacement for french fries.  If they offered brocolli in place of the fries I would jump on it. My son loves brocolli. I personally can't see buying a happy meal for more than one reason. The biggest reason is the amount of sugar in it. Sugar in the bread, french fries turn to sugar and lets add sugar from apples. They should give parents multiple options of vegtables at resturants. Most do, fast food does not. 

And why is apples the only fruit offered at most resturants. That is what I love about sonic  you can get bananas. One of the fruits he can eat, because it has no acid in it. I love convience stores now. you can buy actual fruit instead of cookies or chips for a snack. I always buy bananas for myself. Not because the goverment makes me, but because that is what I want.

If they want healthy food in resturants, cartoons and commercials fine they pay to get the spot just like cereal does. but why not offer a variety for kids with allergies instead of just one. This is how  you get kids eating healthy. The only option of a "vegtable" which is actually a starch at any fast food resturant is french fries.The only option of fruit is an apple. What if the kid doesn't like apples. How hard is it to buy a bunch of bananas.  It doesn't take that long to cut a head of brocolli. I see what they are pushing for, but feel like they are still controlling it. Offering one variety is not helping the situation. Why can they not put tomatoe slices on a menu? They cut tomatoes all day long anyway.

I do agree with the mom that said lets take off toy commercials too. But if we do how are we going to bribe our kids into behaving or potty training. Sorry I am rambling.

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

That doesn't make them the same, though.  Fruit has more fiber and other nutrients and not all the refined sugar and chemicals.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

Fruit is not the same as a sugary cereal.  eye rolling 

true but with my kid his body react the same to fruit as it does to cereal

opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

killing the quote tree I need to kill somthing right now.  I try to keep him on a diabetic diet to keep him where he doesn't get sick but when I try to add fruits it starts back up again. or even to much sugar. I know he needs some sugar but I can't figure out how much he needs. I have also been told I am feeding him to much protien and in the long run that is going to hurt him. the nutritionist was absolutely no help at all and acted like I was abusing my child.

but in his case giving him the fruit is more abusive than not. if he didn't react to the acid in the fruit I could put him on a diabetic diet. but he does so that makes it almost impossible to give him what he needs without torturing him at the same time. and to be honest with you I haven't gotten a straight answer from a doc what is going on with him. so I don't know if it is cause he doesn't process sugar or an allergy.  I don't know how much sugar is to much so basically other than like bread he gets none.  I don't know if any juice is safe for him I can't get that straight answer from any doc. If one is which one? So by trying to mimic a diabetic diet I have had the most sucsess with him.

The only difference is a diabetic can have some fruit of all varieties he can't. Does this make sense?

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

I never said that you didn't know what was going on with your child.  You shouldn't talk about things you don't know about.  When you say that children with diabetes can't have fruit or can only have a little you are spreading misinformation.  I don't see how your sons allergy is the same as diabetes.  Your son can't have certain fruit.  People with diabetes can eat fruit and just count carbs in the fruit (and everything else they eat and drink) and take insulin accordingly. 

demonicaangel
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Fruit is a better choice than sugar ceral because the sugar in fruit is not processed and is metabolized differantly than the prossessed sugars.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)