Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Muslims and touching

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
How common is it for religious Muslims to not touch unrelated members of the opposite sex?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
she_walk_softly
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Quite common with the Muslims I know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM

bump

MrsWhite101610
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM
My mil and fil are Muslim. I know a woman can not be in a room alone without another woman present. What exactly do you mean by "touching"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM
A platonic hug of appreciation, for example. This is what prompted my question: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1209921/How_can_I_show_appreciation_to_my_Muslim_landlord The other mom claims to be married to a Muslim, but she doesn't seem to understand why someone would be concerned with offending one.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

My nil and fil are Muslim. I know a woman can not be in a room alone without another woman present. What exactly do you mean by "touching"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsWhite101610
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM
It's disrespectful to his wife to give him a hug, even to his religion. I would suggest a thank you card with a heart felt note. Any physical contact is a "no no"

Quoting Anonymous:

A platonic hug of appreciation, for example. This is what prompted my question: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1209921/How_can_I_show_appreciation_to_my_Muslim_landlord The other mom claims to be married to a Muslim, but she doesn't seem to understand why someone would be concerned with offending one.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

My nil and fil are Muslim. I know a woman can not be in a room alone without another woman present. What exactly do you mean by "touching"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

When I worked with muslims I rarely touched males.  Sometimes the younger ones would shake my hand.  I often didnt touch them at all because I have a dog.  I warned my friends I had touched a dog that day and did not do a ritual cleansing.  It would make muslim prayers impure. 

MrsWhite101610
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM
It's also disrespectful to her husband. And btw the landlord isn't supposed to be alone with her even if only her dh is Muslim. He should have given the money to her dh. The only time a woman is supposed to be alone with a man is if its a family member.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

It's disrespectful to his wife to give him a hug, even to his religion. I would suggest a thank you card with a heart felt note. Any physical contact is a "no no"

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM
It depends. I know muslim women who hang out with men and i know muslims who don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM
It's not the op who is married to a Muslim man, it's one of the moms answering.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

It's also disrespectful to her husband. And btw the landlord isn't supposed to be alone with her even if only her dh is Muslim. He should have given the money to her dh. The only time a woman is supposed to be alone with a man is if its a family member.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

SadiasMomma
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM
im Muslim. i kiss male friends because its my American culture. i don't even high five my husbands family friends though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN