Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if you cant afford the field trip, keep them home.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you are not going to give your child money then let them know. Make sure they are aware they can't buy anything. Tell them it is rude to beg for money or items from others.
If you can't afford to pack them lunch then keep them home. Do not expect others to give your child their lunch or for the chaperone to buy them lunch. It is rude and irresponsible.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Replies (341-350):
caito
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM
2 moms liked this

When we went on ROTC field trips, our commander always packed extra lunches and drinks for the students who forgot to pack a lunch or didn't have money. These were overnight field trips, the longest being five days (those were awesoooome). He knew that there were kids from all walks of life going on these trips, and it was just common decency to help out the kids who needed it.

I think everyone should have the oppurtunity to go on field trips, whether they're rich as fuck or devastatingly poor.

caito
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Oh also, we were each given $5 when we stopped at fast food places. We had the option of using our own money if we had it, or we could use the money we were given and give the change to commander when we came back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:55 PM

So why do we have to heap all the learning on the children who's parents want to give them extras?  My children are learning that we can't always have what we want and that sometimes people have something we don't.  I can solve the problem just fine, I'll drive myself to field trips and if my child wants something I'll go and buy it.  I just can't understand how this used to be a non-issue, some kids brought money some didn't.  Those who did were allowed to spend it and no one made a big deal about it.  When does the "everyone's the same" and "no one should have something others don't" stop?  I guess if that's the case I shouldn't send extra money for snacks on field day or special days at school.  Some parents don't send it and their children only get one snack provided by the teacher.  I mean, everything's supposed to be fair so no one gets upset or anything right?

Quoting Alynn74:

Yeah, well then it's one of those unfair life lessons that kids who can afford to buy something can learn too! Goes both ways. Don't sit there and bitch and talk about unfair. Just like you want poor kids to learn that lesson, your kid needs to learn it too and it sure as hell isn't being taught by you!

Quoting Anonymous:

That's the way it is sometimes. Not all life lessons are fun ones. It's not fair for the children who can to not buy things from their trip either.

Quoting Alynn74:

and it's fair that some are able to buy things and the others have to sit quietly and watch??

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

My childs school solved that by making a rule.  Each child brings a lunch and NO child buys anything on the field trip.  Of course my child would never ask another adult for money either.........

it is not fair everyone should have to suffer by not being allowed to buy something.

lovepawsandclaw
by Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree that I wouldn't want someone elses child asking me to buy them souveneris etc, however if I noticed a child on a field trip with my child did not have lunch I would surely make sure they got lunch! I wouldn't be angry with the parent, maybe the child really wanted to go on the trip adn the parent just couldn't afford to send them with $ as well. The school should have a rule for the trip that each child bring a bag lunch. Being a chaperone, I would bring extras with me just incase.

It just breaks my heart seeing children left out of field trips and things like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 28 on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I take her ok as a sign that you're an inconsiderate meanie. Those poor kids. I'm just happy that they can go somewhere. Why does your school let then purchase stuff on field trips?
Ginnymarie33
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Maybe those kids have a reason for not having these things . That's so sad . I couldn't imagine having to keep them back. Lets just leave the poor kids home it dont matter they already dont get to do nothing. Our school does not allow purchases in field trips and the teacher checks for lunches before they go. The school provides a sandwich, apple, and milk for the kids who have nothing.
Ginnymarie33
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Quoting Bethsunshine:

Because the kids with money are going to die if they don't get the overpriced pen from the museum gift shop??
Ginnymarie33
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM
I can't believe people are making a big deal about not being able to buy anything. Why should you want to buy that overpriced crap anyway?? Is your kid going to die without his whale stuffed animal??? It also wastes a load of time . When I take my kids to those places I don't let them buy anything. Not that I can't afford it it's because it's highway robbery!
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Quoting Ginnymarie33:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Because the kids with money are going to die if they don't get the overpriced pen from the museum gift shop??

Can you please tell me which comment I made that you are quoting? I'm having a hard time understanding your question since I can't tell which comment you are referring to. I made several responses to this post.

You must be mobile. My phone cuts off quotes sometimes too and it drives me nuts!!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

My childs school solved that by making a rule.  Each child brings a lunch and NO child buys anything on the field trip.  Of course my child would never ask another adult for money either.........

That is a good rule to have! I would be fine with the "No buying" rule! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)