Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if you cant afford the field trip, keep them home.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you are not going to give your child money then let them know. Make sure they are aware they can't buy anything. Tell them it is rude to beg for money or items from others.
If you can't afford to pack them lunch then keep them home. Do not expect others to give your child their lunch or for the chaperone to buy them lunch. It is rude and irresponsible.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Replies (431-434):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Then if you felt you don't NEED to, then don't do it because there are others who don't mind. As for my father, he died when I was 7. That was my mom's fault as well I'm sure.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

every time you open your mouth you annoy me. You are the one with a snotty attitude. No I do not think I should have to give extra for you to have one anything. Don't care your mom was poor or why. Where was your dad or was he a loser too? No you not have done anything you could not afford to. Excuse me while I puke up my breakfast as you seem to bring out the worst in me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:19 AM

If extracurricular activies such as choir, band, and strings aren't free, they shouldn't make them as part of the required electives. Guess what? None of the electives are free, they all cost money. The cooking classes, sewing classes, woodworking classes, etc... none are free and they all cost money and they're all required. You can't graduate without a certain number of electives.

Quoting Anonymous:

Public education is free, extracurricular activities are not. Schools can barely afford books and learning materials in some areas, how can they afford to pay for students to be in activities that are just extras? I said scholarships are nice but I imagine they can create a headache trying to be fair, determine who is more deserving if there are limited funds, etc. It's the way it is sometimes, I would rather schools spend money on learning materials and qualified teachers than on extra activities.

Quoting Anonymous:

And like I just said in another post, she goes to a public school and public education is FREE. If there's a freak incident where a family has a bad spot, there should be ways in place. I don't know about you, but it doesn't bother me to fork out a couple extra dollars here or there to help another child. I grew up poor, if it weren't from NICE, RESPECTFUL, CHARITABLE people, I wouldn't have enjoyed school at all. It wasn't my fault my mom was poor and disabled, now was it. Why should I have given up extracurricular activities because of snotty bitches like you who felt it wasn't right for me to enjoy my education like the next person. It was those NICE people who enabled me to go through college as my talents in school paid for my college degree. Oh, let me guess, I wasn't worthy of a talent-based scholarship either, was I?

Quoting Anonymous:

Its not the school's responsibility, its the parents'.  Sure scholarships would be nice but its expensive to cover everything a child needs for choir, money for uniforms, music, trips etc.  Then the school would have to determine who is eligible, set requirements, deal with parents crying that the school discriminated or wasn't fair.  Its just easier to let the parents do their job and provide what their children need for activities.  And if they can't do it or the child can't earn the money then they drop.

Quoting Anonymous:

You idiot, which part of SUDDEN CIRCUMSTANCE did you not understand? Do you really think you'd drop a CHILD who's been in choir all their life because of a CIRCUMSTANCE? Sure, the parent's heart is already breaking because she got laid off because her job was outsourced to some foreign country and you want to disrupt the child too? They have choir DAILY at school, there's no need to drop them from something they enjoy do but the school could come up with ways of scholarships or something. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

There are parents who are going through rough times and can't afford these trips. For instance, a single mom gets laid off, the only income she has is cut over half until she gets a new job but then a field trip comes up that is REQUIRED because it's part of the high school curriculum to do choir concerts elsewhere. Student is required to have $50 for the trip, PLUS money for several meals while gone. She had to skip paying her water bill becaue her child couldn't miss. There has to be some sort of scholarships or something for this stuff. Not to mention, they all had to have 3 separate outfits PLUS a school tshirt. It was ridiculous for a single mom who had just got laid off having to pay for all of that.

then drop them from choir. You know these things are going to cost from the get go.

Josie.Grossie
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Our school provides lunches to those unable to take one. Heck they even order extra just in case.

As for keeping them home if they cannot send money, that is stupid!

We can afford to send the kids with a little pocket money but I do not because I think they would lose it. As an adult you should no to just tell the kid no and redirect their attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:30 AM
I'm that parent that buys for the whole class when I chaperon field trips. Something small but I do buy more for my kids. The kids aren't allowed spending money at our school to keep things fair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)