Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To friend the in-laws or not?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should I "friend" my in-laws on FB?

Options:

Yes

No

Can't say

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 151

View Results

on Facebook?

That is the question.

I just saw that my father in law and step mother in law have joined FB? Should I send them a friend request?

We are not close at all. My husband is not close with them at all either but I see that he is now friends with them on FB. Even though they only live about 30 minutes away, we see them maybe once a year. Not really by choice but that is just the way the relationship has ended up. So, I feel like they may get to see some of their grandkids if I friend them. On the other hand, it's not like they have shown much interest in our lives thus far.

If it was my MIL I would totaly want to be her friend on there but it's my Step-MIL I have my doubts about...

What to do?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I have a huge mixture of friends and family. I'm very careful to take everyone into consideration before I do any posting too. Still can't decide about them though. I think I'll just wait and see if they friend me. Likely so, since they friended my hubby.

Quoting Anonymous:

I friend all of my family for that's mainly why I use FB to communicate with family. There us nothing I say id fear anyone reading. If you would then don't do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Wow! That is very similar to us. It drives me crazy to hear about EVERYone else in the family enjoying their beach house when we have never once been invited. It's ridiculous and absolutely there is no reason for it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldnt,esp if they dont make any effort to even come visit.That is the exact situation we have and I made the mistake of adding,accepting their invites and then made a whole new page without them.They would all be talking about their happy lives and didnt hardly comment on any of my kids pics.I felt if they never make any effort in person,why should we be all friendly on fb?Its so much less stressful without them on there.They never even questioned why they were removed or cared anyways.We feel they can see us in person or not at all.They are evn closer than 30 min to us and both retired and have nothing to do all day,they always say how bored they are.

Pokemon_Lover
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

No! Ive learnt FB and inlaws don't mix! specially if they are rude demanding and hate your guts.

daiseymae2
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't do it. It's not a good idea.

Fairegirl33
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM

If your not close and you DH is not either... you have no reason to friend request them IMO

Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Do you mean your Mom drives 7 hours or do you some how have another mother in laws? I'm confused...

I say kill them with kindness , who knows maybe if you do that you'll win them over?

Course I'm like nuts about kids having relationships with their grandparents probably has something to do with both of my parents being gone.. Truthfully , I would pretty much bend over backwards to build a good relationship with them . BUT I do understand that with some people it's just not possible.

either way best of luck !!

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh I have. And I always make sure we go to EVERYthing they invite us to. They just don't give an effort but they like to say that it's me who doesn't. It's so annoying. My MIL who lives 7 hours away visits more often then they do. My MIL has never let an entire baseball season go by without coming to at least one game when she has to drive so far. They can't even drive 30 mins to see our boys play. It's always something.

I'm sure my husband just accepted their request. He would never have gone out of his way to "friend" them.

It's just sad. :(

Quoting Mackenzie40:

why don't you invite them over more and try and get them involved?

or maybe you have...idk. if you have then ;  your hubs is already "friend-ed" them so I wouldn't worry about it unless they send you a request.

amber710
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM

No. If they invite you then I would accept to avoid drama of them thinking you don't like them. But you don't have to invite them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I wouldnt. I am friends with certain in laws, others, I deny and I really dont care what they think about it....

Mrs.Bryant1201
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM

exactly

Quoting ajohnson08099:

This

Quoting Gealach:

Nah. But if they friended I would accept.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM
I'd go to their profile and block them so I don't have to deal with any future drama that will come. They can see some of the kids from what he post and tell them you don't have facebook anymore.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN