Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My sister said my birth plan is worthless....(any input is great!) PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM
  • 381 Replies

(Yes, I know it is a bit long, I'm sorry. If you will, please read though.)

I asked yesterday about how to make a birth plan (i'm only 12 weeks but I want to know that anyone of my doctors are listening...they haven't been so far)

My sister (the one mentioned in the plan) said that it is worthless to make one and that mine is stupid and uncalled for. I was wondering if this is true? are my "demands" unreasonable or outlandish?

yes, she did hurt my feelings a bit by saying this. I still need to have the items listed approved or modified by both my doctor and the hospital but the is the rough draft. please, any input at all is great! I would love to use a midwife but there are non within 75 miles and our insurance would not cover it and we cannot pay it out of pocket. yes, this is our first. 

Birth plan:
Labor partners: Ryan (husband) & Andrea (sister)

*if for any reason my husband cannot perform his responsibilities during or after the birth, my sister will stand in.

Labor and delivery:
1) upon arrival i do not want Pitocin to be administered. If my water has not yet broken on its own, i would like for it to happen naturally.
2) i would like to remain in my own clothing as long as possible before having to wear the hospital gown.
3) i do not want to be induced. Things may change later own but for now this is not an option for me.
4) i do not want pain meds offered to me. If needed, i will ask for options but i do not want to feel forced into it. An epidural is the last resort.
5) i do not want a c-section. I will labor for as long as i can naturally and a c-section will only be discussed if medically necessary and i must consent to it as well as my husband. (If a c-section is preformed, my wish is to keep as many of the after birth instructions as possible.)
6) i do not want an IV unless necessary. I am ok with a heplock.
7) during labor i would like to be able to eat or drink as i wish.
8) during labor i refuse to be "tied down". I want to be able to move and walk as i wish, this includes a shower or warm water bath.
9) during labor only close family is allowed in my room. During active labor only my husband and sister are allowed.
10) i would like to be able to utilize different birth positions.
11) i do not wish to use a belt monitor or internal monitor. I do not mind periodic Doppler monitoring.
12) aside from the initial exam, no internal vaginal exams until i ask.
13) i do not wish to have an episiotomy if avoidable.
14) the vacuum will not be used on my child.
15) i would like for my husband, Ryan, to "catch" the baby if at all possible.
16) no medications at all will be given to me unless i request them of i consent to them with a full explanation.

After the birth:
1) no Pitocin will be administered immediately after to expel the placenta. If there is a problem, other options will be discussed.
2) the cord will not be cut until after the placenta has been delivered and/or it has stopped pulsing and turned white. My husband will be the one to cut the cord.
3) direct skin-to-skin contact and nursing immediately after birth. This is a must. APGAR scores can be taken during nursing. Weight and such can be taken later.
4) baby does not go anywhere without je or daddy for any reason. Baby will be in my room and will not be in the nursery unless medically necessary. Baby
will not have any shots or test without our consent beforehand.
5) if baby is a boy he may be circumcised (husband and i are still discussing this actually so this one may change before than)
6) no bottle, paci's or sugar water. Baby is exclusively breast fed
7) day one of baby's life is mommy and daddy bonding time. We will update family but we do not wish to take visitors until day two. (this may change for CLOSE family)

8) I will be the one to give baby his/her first bath. This will be after nursing and bonding have taken place.

*I know that anything can change at any time and if an emergency should arise, most of these wishes will not be possible but these are my wishes for the birth experience I have planned and I ask that you be respectful of them and me during this time. Thank you.

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM
27 moms liked this
Uh, good luck with that. :/ Sorry, but unfortunately your sister may be right.
lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM
9 moms liked this
I can tell its your first baby. Congrats to you on your pregnancy. I hope you can use your plan
matofour
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM
17 moms liked this
My suggestion
Have a home birth
Or find some place other than a hospital to have your baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM
6 moms liked this
It will mean nothing in the hospital just an FYI
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM
4 moms liked this
....So why are you even going to the hospital?
danijean
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Uh, good luck with that. :/ Sorry, but unfortunately your sister may be right.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
6 moms liked this
Good luck trying that with a hospital birth...90% of that probably won't happen...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
3 moms liked this

No, it's fine. Everything may not be adhered to, but this looks normal. You may want to highlight some items on your printed copies and make sure you have multiple copies. You can Google birth plans for ideas.

Elishas_mommy10
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah a hospital won't go by your plan AT all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indyb
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Your birth plan isn't  worthlessbut since you have so much time left if I was you I would look into a home birth because that way you are likely to have more freedom to do more of the things on your list!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN