Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is divorce so prevalent in our society?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 90 Replies

My parents have been married for over 30 years.  Same for DH's parents.  All of our grandparents were married for 50+ years.  Is it really so strange?  No one can believe that we both come from homes where no one divorces.  We're not from extremely religious stock that doesn't believe in divorce, but it just doesn't happen that often in our families.  DH and I did separate once for about 6 months, but it was to give ourselves space and work out our problems.  Do you think people give up on marriage too easily?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Bump

tifbrown
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM
8 moms liked this

In our society where everything is disposable, marriage is viewed with the same regard. People put themselves first rather than making sacrifices and compromises for the better of the family as a whole. It's easier to walk away than put in a real effort.

Tiffany

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Because people rush into relationships and then aren't willing to take the time to work things out when life gets tough.  Just look at CM.  Every other reply is "leave".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM
I am thinking of divorcing my husband. I wish I wasn't. But you can't want something for someone. Its making me miserable. We tried counseling in the past, but the same issue has come up again. He lies, hides, etc. I struggle to figure out why we have money issues yet he knows exactly why (he gets cash back when making normal purchases to pay for weed, popping up dirty he loses his job, meaning we lose half of our income). If he wants to be this selfish and live like this, he can do it on his own. I have a child to think about. My husband is currently not living with us and not allowed to see our son (as of Tuesday) because he needs to figure out if he wants this family or this other life he hid. He can't have both.
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM

My parents were married 25 years before they divorced. They fell out of love and each had developed their own interest after their kids were grown. In all honesty there was nothing to fix. They are both happier separate.

ElitestJen
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM
4 moms liked this
Because people think they have a "right" to be happy. Somewhere, someone forgot to tell them they can "choose" to be happy and that every decision has a consequence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Actually the number of divorces is going down.

2010-11-17-divorce_rate_over_time.jpg

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I have seen these stats too and wondered how it compares with the marriage rate.  It seems the number of marriages are down as well.  This would mean it would only make sense that the number of divorces would too.  It would be interesting to find stats based on number of marriages, rather that population.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Actually the number of divorces is going down.

2010-11-17-divorce_rate_over_time.jpg

MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM
We do have the right to be happy. As long as we go about it responsibly. There was a point in my marriage (to a man I never loved and who didn't love me) where I thought "I'm never going to be happy, I'll just put my head down and get through life.". Miserable is a terrible way to live. We divorced, but through careful planning and good decision making we minimized the devestating affects for our kids. Every single one of us is happy now. We each have new spouses and my kids have two happy homes instead of one horrible one.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Because people think they have a "right" to be happy. Somewhere, someone forgot to tell them they can "choose" to be happy and that every decision has a consequence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Quoting tifbrown:

In our society where everything is disposable, marriage is viewed with the same regard. People put themselves first rather than making sacrifices and compromises for the better of the family as a whole. It's easier to walk away than put in a real effort.

Agree 100% Couldn't have said it better! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN