Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You are a bad parent if you let your son/daughter smoke weed (or any recreational drug) or underage drink. Step up, quit being lazy and parent your damn children and don't give me that excuse, "Well, they are going to do it, why not just let them do it safely?" NO. Not at all kids are going to do it. I didn't when i was a teenager and I didn't because my mom was on my case about it. She wasn't lazy, she stepped up and disciplined me. 

Bash me all you want, but I will never let my kids smoke weed/ drink in my house. I take parenting seriously. And I am a new mom. Pregnant with my first (boy) in August! But, I love him and I won't allow him to do any harm to himself. Alcohol is illegal in my state and even if it wasn't, I find nothing good about alcohol. Me being a new mom has nothing to do with the way I have planned to parent...

I love how half the people comment aboout how they let thier kids have sips. Quit being so sensitive. I'm not saying you can't give them a sip. Jesus christ.. use your brains. I'm talking about the parents who let their kids get wasted or stoned. 

Pregnancy Ticker
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Replies (341-350):
rachelvtlo
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't know what backwards hillbilly states these people are from but where I live underage drinker who are caught get fines and citations!!!! Anyone who allows this is a derelict degenerate parent. No wonder kids are as horrible as they are now a days!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM

No you are sadly mistaken. Sorry. 

Quoting sheramom4:

Quoting Anonymous:

They have made the drinking age 21 due to the effects of alcohol on an "adolescent" brain.

It stunts brain development the younger you start or allow drinking. Not all parts of your brain develop at the same time, and your brain is still not finished until mid 20's. All you have to do is Google, "effects of underage drinking on the brain" to find specifics. 

It isn't as much a moral issue as it is a health issue. Yes even if you ARE old enough to drink, it is bad for your health. BUT, at 21 your brain is almost finished developing so the effects on your brain are minimal, and the health risks are liver, heart etc. 

The legal drinking age is 21 based on the inconsistency between the states and drinking age. It was a rider added to a bill for funding highways and freeways on a federal level. If states did not increase the age, they would lose funding. Both Idaho and Alaska waited over a decade to change the law and went without this funding....it was not based on any scientific evidence and in fact in Europe, where the lega; drinking age is decreased to basically nothing and the driving age is increased to 18, there is less binge drinking, less drunk driving accidents and an overall better sense of how to drink responsibly. Anytime something is made "taboo" it increases the likelihood of it being abused.

Yes there are health risks, especially with binge and excessive drinking, both of which the United States has massive problems with because of the puritanical view of alcohol.....

Luna091306
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd is 5 so I'm not there yet. I would never let her do it in my house but I have already decided I will tell her that if she is ever out drunk somewhere to call me to pick her up before getting behind the wheel. No questions asked. My parents were hard on me about drinking but I still did it.

BekkieBoodle
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I love it when non parents tell us how to parent :)

Quoting Beautiful31mom:

Quoting LucyMom08:

That explains a lot ;)

Quoting Beautiful31mom:

Quoting LucyMom08:

How old are your kids?

she is pregnant with her first according to her profile. 

she is due on the 18th of August. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Does it make a difference if there's a communion wafer served with it? Just curious.

Every other industrialized nation has lower drinking ages (or no drinking age) than we do, and these nations have less occurrence of alcoholism and drunk driving. Nobody is saying they're going to get their kids drunk. What they're saying is they would give their child a bottle of beer or a glass of wine on a special occassion, in their own homes, and under their supervison. 

Quoting QUICASANOVA:

Totally shocked at how many parents that say they will supply alcohol to their underage children.....smdh

mamabear306
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM

i couldnt agree more, i would never let my kids smoke weed or drink underage, but if they are old enough to move out on their own than thats up to them, in the mean time i will be getting on their cases and dont put up with their bs saying their friends are doing it, id tell them because their parents are dumb enough to let them, when u make your own money and have your place then you make your own rules...but right now no worries they are only 6 yrs 4 yrs n 1 yr lol

laura_sims
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

where do you live?

Quoting rachelvtlo:

I don't know what backwards hillbilly states these people are from but where I live underage drinker who are caught get fines and citations!!!! Anyone who allows this is a derelict degenerate parent. No wonder kids are as horrible as they are now a days!!!!

I. Eight Different Exceptions to the Minimum Legal Drinking Age (MLDA) of 21
Underage consumption of alcohol is allowed...States

1. on private, non alcohol-selling premises, with parental consent in 29 states

Examples: private home, private office, or private property with parental presence and consent

Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

2. on private, non alcohol-selling premises, 
without parental consent
 in 6 states

Examples: private home, private office, or private property without parental consent or presence

Louisiana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, Oklahoma, South Carolina

3. for religious purposes in 25 states

Example: drinking wine during a church ceremony

Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

4. for medical purposes in 16 states

Example: medical treatment prescribed or administered by a licensed physician

Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

5. for government work related purposes in 4 states

Examples: working undercover with police and participating in government research

Michigan, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina

6. for educational purposes in 7 states

Example: students in culinary school

Colorado, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Vermont

7. when reporting medical need due to underage drinking for another minor in 3 states

Example: underage drinker calls 911 to report medical emergency for another underage drinker

California, Colorado, North Dakota

8. on alcohol-selling premises, with parental approval in 11 states

Examples: restaurant, bar, or a venue where alcohol is sold

Connecticut, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Selmada
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids are 3. I don't know for sure what rules/policies will be in place when they are 14,16,18 around drinking. I have a rough idea of what I'll do but it will depend on them and their maturity level at that age. Some kids are ready for the responsibility, some are not. 

Because of a health concern, I can have 0 alcohol which means there will likely be none in the house. I grew up with it in the house and a liberal view to it. I turned out okay. At this point, I hope to be able to take the same view with my kids. But I'm not going to make a blanket judgement or lump all kids/parents into one group and force them into my way of thought. 

Personally, I think pot should be legal and hope it is with the same types of general regulations/restrictions as alcohol in the next decade. Again, the approach I'd take with this will depend on my kids. 

I've seen many lives ruined with hard drugs and alcohol (and some lazy people on pot, but none ruined by it) and I want my kids to know about those too before they decide to try it.  I know people who have an odd drink now and agian or smoke pot now and again. No big deal. I don't agree with anyone who uses any substance to a degree that causes them to be irresponsible when they are caring for their child. So while I think its okay that a parent can drink (even get drunk) or smoke pot they should not do it around their kids unless there is another adult, clean and sober who make the hard decisions. 

MandaRose83
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM

It will never be allowed in my home, PERIOD! I know that your gonna do it and thats fine but it won't be done in my home and if I find out that another PARENT is supplying it to my child there will be hell to pay. 

exhausted_momma
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM
It's definitely illegal in Arkansas. We have a coalition that works with law enforcement... They aren't playing around about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)