Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You are a bad parent if you let your son/daughter smoke weed (or any recreational drug) or underage drink. Step up, quit being lazy and parent your damn children and don't give me that excuse, "Well, they are going to do it, why not just let them do it safely?" NO. Not at all kids are going to do it. I didn't when i was a teenager and I didn't because my mom was on my case about it. She wasn't lazy, she stepped up and disciplined me. 

Bash me all you want, but I will never let my kids smoke weed/ drink in my house. I take parenting seriously. And I am a new mom. Pregnant with my first (boy) in August! But, I love him and I won't allow him to do any harm to himself. Alcohol is illegal in my state and even if it wasn't, I find nothing good about alcohol. Me being a new mom has nothing to do with the way I have planned to parent...

I love how half the people comment aboout how they let thier kids have sips. Quit being so sensitive. I'm not saying you can't give them a sip. Jesus christ.. use your brains. I'm talking about the parents who let their kids get wasted or stoned. 

Pregnancy Ticker
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Replies (571-580):
uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM
You are right, things never go as planned, but the most imortant things always stick. I have kids, and I had rules in place before considering the thought of having children, and those rules still remain to this day and will remain forever. So you can't say, she will think differently about it once she has that baby. As a matter of fact, my opinions about the subject got stronger once I layed eyes on my first born.

Quoting lillysnow:

we all say we want things this way and that when were pregnant, yea..... wait till you have your child and start to raise it. things never go as planned. not trying to burst your bubble, im realistic

Quoting Littlemisscurly:

You are a bad parent if you let your son/daughter smoke weed (or any recreational drug) or underage drink. Step up, quit being lazy and parent your damn children and don't give me that excuse, "Well, they are going to do it, why not just let them do it safely?" NO. Not at all kids are going to do it. I didn't when i was a teenager and I didn't because my mom was on my case about it. She wasn't lazy, she stepped up and disciplined me. 

Bash me all you want, but I will never let my kids smoke weed/ drink in my house. I take parenting seriously. And I am a new mom. Pregnant with my first (boy) in August! But, I love him and I won't allow him to do any harm to himself. Alcohol is illegal in my state and even if it wasn't, I find nothing good about alcohol. Me being a new mom has nothing to do with the way I have planned to parent...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamajenna2012
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Illegal in your state? That sux! Where the heck is that? You're talking about AMERICA, right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddemarco
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I completely agree.  That's like allowing them to have sex in your home because "They are going to do it anyway."  No they won't!  Not in my house (unless they are married and using the guest room to stay over for some reason).

They won't even smoke cigarettes in my home; mostly because I'm allergic to it.  When they are legal, I don't mind having a drink or two with them.  But I don't want them getting the idea that I am letting them drink by letting them drink at home.  It just opens up a whole new bunch of problems (like them inviting their friends over, etc) and goes against my own morals.

uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM
I am not going to debate this but in my opinion they are bad parents, and they will always be bad parents to me, and those are the kind of people I would never let my children around... and by the way in georgia it is illegal. I have seen parents locked up for supplying their teenager with alcohol, the kids were too. I have seen kids taken away from parents because of alcohol being supplied to the children. It is called abuse, and georgia will not play when it concerns minors.

Quoting laura_sims:

Just because you dont think it is a good thing to do doesnt mean someone is a bad parent because of it

and like my last replies to you said it is NOT illegal in most states. 

Quoting uriahadel:

Most alcoholics started drinking when they were teens, and do you think just cause a parent gives alcohol to their children, it means they are not getting it from some where else too? Kids are kids, and will try to rebel in every which way they can, but the parents needs to step up and be the parent and tell their child no. It is wrong, it is illegal, it is unethical, and it is a bad bad bad parent who would sit there and supply alcohol to their kids

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg!!

Ladies, these women, who you are calling bad parents(amongst other names) are not talking about taking their children out partying. They are not talking about taking them to the bars, and having drinking contests with them. They are not talking about trying to turn their children into alcoholics.

It just amuses me how so many people turn it into something that's WAY bigger than what is being said.

Some of you exaggerate everything, a little too much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laura_sims
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM

No in georgia it is NOT illegal for a parent to give their own child alcohol. I just posted a link to the law itself. 

You can NOT supply other peoples kids with drinks and your kid can not get alcohol from somewhere else but it is NOT illegal for a parent to give their own child alcohol 

You cant argue with your state laws 

Quoting uriahadel:

I am not going to debate this but in my opinion they are bad parents, and they will always be bad parents to me, and those are the kind of people I would never let my children around... and by the way in georgia it is illegal. I have seen parents locked up for supplying their teenager with alcohol, the kids were too. I have seen kids taken away from parents because of alcohol being supplied to the children. It is called abuse, and georgia will not play when it concerns minors.

Quoting laura_sims:

Just because you dont think it is a good thing to do doesnt mean someone is a bad parent because of it

Quoting uriahadel:

Most alcoholics started drinking when they were teens, and do you think just cause a parent gives alcohol to their children, it means they are not getting it from some where else too? Kids are kids, and will try to rebel in every which way they can, but the parents needs to step up and be the parent and tell their child no. It is wrong, it is illegal, it is unethical, and it is a bad bad bad parent who would sit there and supply alcohol to their kids

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg!!

Ladies, these women, who you are calling bad parents(amongst other names) are not talking about taking their children out partying. They are not talking about taking them to the bars, and having drinking contests with them. They are not talking about trying to turn their children into alcoholics.

It just amuses me how so many people turn it into something that's WAY bigger than what is being said.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM
You don't think kids would go behind their parents backs and get it somewhere else, as well? No matter how much those parents may drill it into their heads?
Most of the women on here are trying to be open with their kids about it. But, they are not looking to turn them into alcoholics.

Quoting uriahadel:

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg!!

laura_sims
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM

(c) The prohibitions contained in paragraphs (1), (2), and (4) of subsection (a) of this Code section

shall not apply with respect to the possession of alcoholic beverages for consumption by a person

under 21 years of age when the parent or guardian of the person under 21 years of age gives the

alcoholic beverage to the person and when possession is in the home of the parent or guardian and

such parent or guardian is present.

http://drinkingage.procon.org/sourcefiles/GeorgiaUnderAgeAlcConsumpLaw.pdf

that is the part that deals with it. It is legal for a parent to give their own child alcohol 

Quoting uriahadel:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting uriahadel:

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg!!

uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM
I love your post... you are sooo right!
I had a alcoholic uncle drown last year from alchoholism, and the autopsy report came back that he also had alcohol poisoning. My grandmother died of cancer and was an alcoholic. My mom was an alcoholic and dying now. She has hep b and a lot of other problems from drinking alcohol. My grandfather just died this year, he had multiple heart surgeries and liver problems from being an alcoholic. My sister is an alcoholic and so many other family members are alcoholics. My aunt is paraplegic now because of a car accident she was in when she was drinking and driving. This is all in my family of alcoholics. And don't get me started on smoking. My grandfather was on a oxygen machine and had copd from smoking. My mother also has the same thing, she is also on a breathing machine. She is only 48. Everyone in my family right now is trying to stop smoking because it is killing them. Most of the alcoholics have sobered up as well, but there are still a few around. Drinking and smoking kills. I know because I have seen it personally withing my own family.

Quoting Anonymous:

WOW!!!! Littlemisscurly.... im am soo sorry all of these people freaked out and bashed you because of their own beliefs... last time i checked this was like a support group right??? im pretty sure you didnt post this in hopes of morons bashing you and freaking out about the dumbest things. I for 1 agree with you... my daughter is fixing to be 1... im so scared for her and im doing my best to teach her right... i plan to show my daughter exactly what engaging in the activities will do to her body, her life, everything.. i come from a family of people that engage in this stuff... i watched drunken uncles and their sons fight until there heads were busted open... i do not want my daughter to have anything to do with it.. and in my stories i hope she finds comfort in knowing that i have never ever touched alcohol, never touched a ciggerette and never done illegal substances. Ive never even been pulled over!! Im a single mom at 20 and it doesnt matter if your pregnant with your first or your 7th... the way you want to parent your children is your choice... and  everyone is freaking out and saying "child" in their posts about it being legal... first of all yall should be saying teenagers... not children... ask a cop.. can i give my child alcohol... or can i give my teenager alcohol... the way u word it makes a difference... im in FLORIDA... and i know the laws for my states.. im studying to be a paralegal... and all of u would go to jail for giving a child alcohol... the legal drinking age is 21... there are exceptions like being married. but i wanna know why all these "moms" think its ok to let your babies engage in activities. you cant stop them, but you could at least CARE! show dissapointment... not woo go drink and smoke pot its ok! throughout my years of highschool, i was the only one that didnt party... when i asked why they did it, the response was....my parents dont give 2 sh**s if i do or not so why not?? your kids dont wanna hear that you dont care...and in her initial post she stated that it was illegal in her state... that did NOT open a window for people in different states to bash her about it being legal in their states... im really dissapointment in the people on cafemom... its redicuolus... when  i first joined i was like awesome people are so helpful... but now all i see are like monsters waiting to attack someone that doesnt believe the same way they do. This first time mom has the right to base her parenting style on her own experiences... and its her child... not yalls. you guys need to calm down... its not the end of the world because moms dont want to openly let their children drink and do drugs and smoke.. and all of you that allow your children to do so.. need to educate yourselfs on the dangers... like the diseases from drinking, and smoking... the effects of drug use on the mind and body... dont freak on people and tell themselves to educate themselves on the laws... u guys educate yourselves on the dangers of these activities and EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN.... and see how many of them want to have cancer, or HEP C or a hands free device stuck in the hole in their throat..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:45 PM
Honey, I live here.. I don't care what kind of website you dug up but that is not true. I have worked with cps and know first hand. I have seen parents get arrested for supplying their children with alcohol, I have also dated a police officer who have locked up both the parents and the teen so you are wrong... why don't you come here and ask any officer if it is legal? They will laugh you right out of the state... you are wrong, I don't care what a website says because I know first hand

Quoting laura_sims:

No in georgia it is NOT illegal for a parent to give their own child alcohol. I just posted a link to the law itself. 

You can NOT supply other peoples kids with drinks and your kid can not get alcohol from somewhere else but it is NOT illegal for a parent to give their own child alcohol 

Quoting uriahadel:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting uriahadel:

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laura_sims
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Hun you cant argue with state law

O.C.G.A. ยง 3-3-23

That is the state law it falls under look it up

Just because you are too dense to understand state law doesnt mean it does not exist 

Quoting uriahadel:

Honey, I live here.. I don't care what kind of website you dug up but that is not true. I have worked with cps and know first hand. I have seen parents get arrested for supplying their children with alcohol, I have also dated a police officer who have locked up both the parents and the teen so you are wrong... why don't you come here and ask any officer if it is legal? They will laugh you right out of the state... you are wrong, I don't care what a website says because I know first hand

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting uriahadel:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting uriahadel:

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)