Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You are a bad parent if you let your son/daughter smoke weed (or any recreational drug) or underage drink. Step up, quit being lazy and parent your damn children and don't give me that excuse, "Well, they are going to do it, why not just let them do it safely?" NO. Not at all kids are going to do it. I didn't when i was a teenager and I didn't because my mom was on my case about it. She wasn't lazy, she stepped up and disciplined me. 

Bash me all you want, but I will never let my kids smoke weed/ drink in my house. I take parenting seriously. And I am a new mom. Pregnant with my first (boy) in August! But, I love him and I won't allow him to do any harm to himself. Alcohol is illegal in my state and even if it wasn't, I find nothing good about alcohol. Me being a new mom has nothing to do with the way I have planned to parent...

I love how half the people comment aboout how they let thier kids have sips. Quit being so sensitive. I'm not saying you can't give them a sip. Jesus christ.. use your brains. I'm talking about the parents who let their kids get wasted or stoned. 

Pregnancy Ticker
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Replies (591-600):
noneya79
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM

And it's sad that they do. 

Quoting laura_sims:

Indiana is one of the states that does not have an exception to the drinking law. 

there are 29 states that do though 

Quoting noneya79:

In Indiana, it is ILLEGAL to drink alcohol if you are under 21. And a parent will go to jail for purchasing it for their own child. I read all the time in our scanner about underage people going to jail for "minor consumption"... You get a couple nights in jail, then probation.. That's if it's your first offense!

Quoting laura_sims:

Nope read the whole law. There is an exception to drinking age if a parent supplies it. It clearly says that

Quoting uriahadel:

And the parent will also be arrested as well for purchasing the alcohol... understand your facts first before you post on here... either way it is still illegal for any minor to consume alcohol whether the parent bought it or not

laura_sims
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont think so. I think it is fucked up that someone can sign up to serve in the military and die for our country but they can not enjoy a beer. 

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Indiana is one of the states that does not have an exception to the drinking law. 

Quoting noneya79:

In Indiana, it is ILLEGAL to drink alcohol if you are under 21. And a parent will go to jail for purchasing it for their own child. I read all the time in our scanner about underage people going to jail for "minor consumption"... You get a couple nights in jail, then probation.. That's if it's your first offense!

Quoting laura_sims:

Nope read the whole law. There is an exception to drinking age if a parent supplies it. It clearly says that

Quoting uriahadel:

And the parent will also be arrested as well for purchasing the alcohol... understand your facts first before you post on here... either way it is still illegal for any minor to consume alcohol whether the parent bought it or not

noneya79
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM

laws are laws for a reason! 

Quoting laura_sims:

I dont think so. I think it is fucked up that someone can sign up to serve in the military and die for our country but they can not enjoy a beer. 

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting uriahadel:

laura_sims
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Why is the age set at 21? In most other countries it is 18 or 19. Why here is it set at 21?

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting uriahadel:

noneya79
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I really don't know. I have heard that teens brains are not fully developed even at 18 to 19 years old. Maybe it has to do with their maturity? Not saying all teens are irresponsible or immature.. but a whole lot are! 

Quoting laura_sims:

Why is the age set at 21? In most other countries it is 18 or 19. Why here is it set at 21?

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting uriahadel:

laura_sims
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM

There is no good reason why it is at 21. The drinking age used to be at 19 in the US but they changed it. Most of the world has it younger and they also have much lower rates of alcoholics. 

Quoting noneya79:

I really don't know. I have heard that teens brains are not fully developed even at 18 to 19 years old. Maybe it has to do with their maturity? Not saying all teens are irresponsible or immature.. but a whole lot are! 

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting noneya79:

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting uriahadel:

candycanealane
by New Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I love how so many parents on here have went out of their way to prove the point that allowing your minor childrent to drink is legal.  Ask yourselves this: Just becasue something is legal does that make it right?  If you are alright with allowing your child to drink or do drugs in your house that is your choice, but what are you really teaching them?  The choices that you make regarding your children affect them forever.

lillysnow
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM
props to u but everyones different.:)

Quoting uriahadel:

You are right, things never go as planned, but the most imortant things always stick. I have kids, and I had rules in place before considering the thought of having children, and those rules still remain to this day and will remain forever. So you can't say, she will think differently about it once she has that baby. As a matter of fact, my opinions about the subject got stronger once I layed eyes on my first born.

Quoting lillysnow:

we all say we want things this way and that when were pregnant, yea..... wait till you have your child and start to raise it. things never go as planned. not trying to burst your bubble, im realistic

Quoting Littlemisscurly:

You are a bad parent if you let your son/daughter smoke weed (or any recreational drug) or underage drink. Step up, quit being lazy and parent your damn children and don't give me that excuse, "Well, they are going to do it, why not just let them do it safely?" NO. Not at all kids are going to do it. I didn't when i was a teenager and I didn't because my mom was on my case about it. She wasn't lazy, she stepped up and disciplined me. 

Bash me all you want, but I will never let my kids smoke weed/ drink in my house. I take parenting seriously. And I am a new mom. Pregnant with my first (boy) in August! But, I love him and I won't allow him to do any harm to himself. Alcohol is illegal in my state and even if it wasn't, I find nothing good about alcohol. Me being a new mom has nothing to do with the way I have planned to parent...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 69 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM
My parents were strict with a lot of things but when it came to pot or alcohol I was told "if you do do it stay where you are and call us and we will pick you up no questions asked. If you get caught and are arrested then that's on you and you will stay in jail."
My parents did not smoke and drinking wise my father would have a beer now and then. Honestly I believe because they were so open about it that's why I didn't really get stupid with it.
I think what it all comes down to is knowing your kid and knowing the best way to approach it.
little_buggie
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM

THAT'S AWESOME!

Quoting ForeverInLove:

In WI, as long as the parent gives the alcohol, it's ok. The waiter or waitress must hand the drink to a legal adult. The adult can there pass it to who they want... Pass it to the wrong person, get charged for it. The child must be your own.
After 9pm, no minors (under 21) allowed in the bars, period. They can be in a supper club, but not a bar.

Quoting little_buggie:

Hmmm I have never heard of any place in the country allowing a minor to drink in their establishment even under supervision of their parent.  Now, I HAVE heard that it is perfectly legal to allow your child to drink within the confines of your own home.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Currently in MI, but I am originally from WI.

Quoting little_buggie:

Where do you live?

Quoting ForeverInLove:

I will likely continue the tradition that my dad did with us. When our kids reach 13, we'll take them out for a nice steak dinner, and they'll be allowed to have an ice cream drink, such as a grasshopper. I see nothing wrong with it. I am allowed to serve my child alcohol, so long as I do not allow them to become drunk. I would not make it a 'thing' though. I can literally remember each time I'd consumed alcohol when I was a teen. I was with my mom or dad each time, and once, my abusive boyfriend forced me to try his wine. I kept telling him no, but he was ready to start hitting me and so I took a sip. It was better than being hit.

My brothers and I were not into drinking, smoking, or doing drugs. None of us partied, nor did we want to. My mother could leave wine in the fridge, and we never touched it. We just didn't want to. We preferred water, soda, or kool aid, lol. Our alcoholic beverages were making apple juice from frozen concentrate and shaking the crap out of it until it had the white foam. That was our beer, haha. 

But, we got to see the effects of alcohol first hand.... we grew up with four alcoholic uncles, a grandfather who died when my mom was 18 who had been a one year sober alcoholic, and a mother who always told us never to drink. She is the only sibling who is not an alcoholic. She taught us many, many things. One of them being that alcohol is not the answer, and there are better things to do. We've got to sit back and watch her leave to go rescue my uncle's bike, since she has her motorcycle's license, and he got drunk at the bar and couldn't drive it home. My aunt called my mom, lol. I've seen my mom take a loaded gun into her bedroom to disarm it, then keep it at our house for a few weeks because my uncle was so drunk and depressed he rode his bike over with the thoughts of killing himself. So, my mom did her big sister thing, and talked to him and kept his gun until he was at a point to have it back. She'd taken police training, and so she knew what to do to disarm the gun. 

We saw what drinking does. We never wanted to go through that. So, her allowing us (or my dad, they are divorced) to have an ice cream drink was nothing more than grasshoppers being unbelievably good. Mmmm, minty! Add in a squirt of chocolate and even better. I could never get drunk on them either, lol. Too much ice cream!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)