Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You are a bad parent if you let your son/daughter smoke weed (or any recreational drug) or underage drink. Step up, quit being lazy and parent your damn children and don't give me that excuse, "Well, they are going to do it, why not just let them do it safely?" NO. Not at all kids are going to do it. I didn't when i was a teenager and I didn't because my mom was on my case about it. She wasn't lazy, she stepped up and disciplined me. 

Bash me all you want, but I will never let my kids smoke weed/ drink in my house. I take parenting seriously. And I am a new mom. Pregnant with my first (boy) in August! But, I love him and I won't allow him to do any harm to himself. Alcohol is illegal in my state and even if it wasn't, I find nothing good about alcohol. Me being a new mom has nothing to do with the way I have planned to parent...

I love how half the people comment aboout how they let thier kids have sips. Quit being so sensitive. I'm not saying you can't give them a sip. Jesus christ.. use your brains. I'm talking about the parents who let their kids get wasted or stoned. 

Pregnancy Ticker
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Replies (611-620):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 71 on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM
I agree and will try my absolute hardest to keep my kids from these things. However, I also will be realistic and if it does happen lock them in their rooms until graduation.
DaphneF
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Amen is all I have to say.
Mrs.LSU
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Total understatement here!!!    What kind of person tells people this crap.  I sure would never associate with someone like that nor let my kids sit near their kids.

QUICASANOVA
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I GUESS IF YOUR SERVING IT WITH A COMMUNION WAFER IT WOULD BE FOR RELIGOUS PURPOSES, I DONT BASE MY PAERNTING ON WHAT LAWS OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE, I PUT THE BEST INTEREST OF MY KIDS FIRST NOT SAYING THAT THEY WON'T DRINK ALCOHOL ETC. ETC. BUT I AM TEACHING HOW TO BE RESPONSIBLE WITH THE CHOICES THEY MAKE AS LEGAL ADULTS. I KNOW 2 DIFFERENT FRIENDS THAT DID LET THEIR CHILDREN DRINK BEFORE THEY WERE 21  1 PARENT LOST HER SON TO ALCOHOL POISONING JUST BEFORE HIS 21 BDAY, AND THE OTHER HAS 2 KIDS THAT ARE OVER THE AGE OF 21 AND ONE GOING ON 19 AND THEY GET WASTED ON A REGULAR BASIS, BUT HEY BOTH OF THESE PARENTS ALLOWED THEIR KIDS TO DRINK UNDERAGE. IM NOT SAYING EBERY STORY WILL END UP LIKE THESE BUT AS A PARENT IT HAS TAUGHT ME A VALUABLE LESSON. LET YOUR KIDS DO WHAT YOU WANT BUT I WILL FEEL GUILTY IF I KNEW I CONTRIBUTED TO ANY UNHEALTHY HABIT MY KIDS HAD.........

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Does it make a difference if there's a communion wafer served with it? Just curious.

Every other industrialized nation has lower drinking ages (or no drinking age) than we do, and these nations have less occurrence of alcoholism and drunk driving. Nobody is saying they're going to get their kids drunk. What they're saying is they would give their child a bottle of beer or a glass of wine on a special occassion, in their own homes, and under their supervison. 

Quoting QUICASANOVA:

Totally shocked at how many parents that say they will supply alcohol to their underage children.....smdh

Avitar
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:39 AM
It's really something else how there is a double standard in this country. The government can drug our kids for profit, but you go to jail. Nyquil and other DM cold medicines are alcohol for FDA profit. Ritalin and Adderall are schdl 2 narcotics again for FDA profit. The list is endless. It all boils down to profit margin, not safety as they want us to believe. Weed is only illegal because it can not be taxed. Yes, our kids should be drug free. Weed is not a drug. It's an herb , not a synthetic man made lab experiment, but rather pure and of mother earth. That's why they can't lable and touch that one. Being a parent is the greatest responsibility and the greatest gift.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avitar
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:40 AM
It's really something else how there is a double standard in this country. The government can drug our kids for profit, but you go to jail. Nyquil and other DM cold medicines are alcohol for FDA profit. Ritalin and Adderall are schdl 2 narcotics again for FDA profit. The is endless. It all boils down to profit margin, not safety as they want us to believe. Weed is only illegal because it can not be taxed. Yes, our kids should be drug free. Weed is not a drug. It's an herb , not a synthetic man made lab experiment, but rather pure and of mother earth. That's why they can't lable and touch that one. Being a parent is the greatest responsibility and the greatest gift.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eleni1010
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:39 AM

when it comes to alcohol i'll do what my parents did. i remember having a beer at family bbq's back when i was about 10 or so, trying it, liking it, and my dad let me have a few more sips. having wine at dinner from earlier i'm sure. my 20 month old already sticks her fingers in my wine glass and comes back for more. (no i only let her stick her finger in once. now i conceal it by using a plastic cup or rocks glass. she attacks anything in a wine glass) as a teen i had my times of getting buzzed at family new years parties and it didn't appeal to me to do this out with friends because i knew that bad things could happen and it was illegal. (my dad always drank at parties and my mom was always designated driver) probably the only time my mom drives when my dad is in the car. i hope that my kids will never smoke i think it's gross. but at least leave weed for college when it won't be in my house and hopefully they will be honest with me about their experimentation.

i will not buy alcohol for their parties, or for them to drink "if they are having a bad day!" their are other releases for that. but if i am having a drink with dinner and they want, i'll let them. one ... and depending on their size, half a glass! anyway, do what you want with your kids, and i'll do what i want with mine.

azeventdiva
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM
I don't. Approve of under age drinking, nor smoking of any kind. However, if my teen wanted to try something, I would prefer they try it in the safety of our home with us presentrather than at some party or just out with their friends. So far, my oldest has no desire to try smoking of any kind. She has tried sips of alcohol, but we don't give her her own cup or bottle of anything alcoholic.
azeventdiva
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM
On the contrary, I grew up with a single mom who NEVER smoked, or did drugs. The only time she drank was when she was at a dinner party, and then it was never more than one drink. My husband and I both run our own successful businesses. I have never even tried pot, or cigarettes, and very rarely have a drink (maybe 3 times a year). My husband doesn't smoke either, and only has a drink if we are with friends and there is alcohol being served. However, we feel more comfortable with having our children try things in our presence than out with their friends, when they are teens. So, your theory is crap.

Quoting Anonymous:

Probably the people disagreeing with this is the pot head moms or alcoholic, low life moms that probably live in the getho and were raised by alcoholic parents. With no income living by the government. This kids from this people will become poor too because of the stupid way they were raised and they will be so stupid because the brain will be burn out that will never finish high school. 

RainbowSunshine
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

While I kind of agree with you I think you're being a bit judgemental here.  Doing one thing wrong (albiet short of murdering or intentionally abusing your child) does NOT make you a "bad parent".  We all mess up our kids.  PERIOD.  And you sound pretty high and mighty for someone with such limited parenting experience.  How do you know you're not messing up your kids in some way?

I can tell that there is someone in your life that has done this and may be you don't think so highly of them.  May be you heard of someone doing this on tv and you think their kids sound like brats.  Whatever the deal is, consider this: while I personally don't smoke pot because I'm a medical professional and I can't and my husband doesn't either both our parents do.  We both grew up in Northern California and his parents OWN a legal pot farm.  My sister also owns a pot farm.

If we wanted our children to be completely sheltered from pot we'd have to never see any of our family ever again which is RIDICULOUS.  They're not bad people.  They're not violent or abusive or lie or cheat or steal.  They all have good jobs, are educated, and raised us to be honest, hard working, and tolerant NON-JUDGEMENTAL people.

And I personally  think pot should be illegal.  I also don't think it's as bad as drinking.  People don't DIE from pot like they do from alcohol.  I still don't do it, but I would never judge someone for it.  And moreover my parents smoked pot with us when we were teenagers.  It's something I wouldn't do.  There are a lot of things my parents did that I wouldn't do.  They were of a free-love generation and I am not.  However, I'll say this, smoking pot with us was NOT the worst thing my mother could do.  When I was a teenager I had CRIPPLING anxiety and I drank a lot to anesthesize myself.  My mother gave me pot and it took away my anxiety and it made me not want to drink.

Frankly, our relationship became a lot more positive when we started smoking pot together.  My sister and brother, too.  I've always held a good job and am a well educated person.  Like I said, I don't smoke any more and I don't think I would smoke with my kids, but my mother ISN'T a "bad parent" because she did that.  We're great people with great lives and open hearts and open minds.

You should really think about how much you judge people because that's a sad way to live.  I can't imagine the pressure you must suffer under thinking that if you do one thing you might be a "bad parent" without possibility of redemption.  O no!  My mom smoked pot!  Nothing she ever did can be right now and she is forever wrong and terrible!  What kind of thinking is that?  Take your head out of your ass.  No one is perfect and you don't even know what you're talking about.  Where I'm from it's a cultural norm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN