Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

opinions wanted.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ok my dd is graduating 8th grade. She has always done very well in school and has always tried her best. She is a straight A student. So I decided to have a grade party for her, I spent over 400 dollars and she invited over 30 kids. Out of all of them she recieved 3 cards.gifts. My question is would you send your child to a gradeuation party with no card/gift? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I would send a card

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Yes I absolutely would if their parents had a party. Thats what we did at mine and my friends 8th grade graduation. 

Quoting iluv2meow:

Ok i went back to re-read your original statement you are correct, i mis read gift card for card/gift.

I am still utterly shocked you expected HER FRIENDS to give HER GIFTS... Did you give them gifts? They graduated too.

Still utterly shocked you expected anything at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

you are unbelievable I said card not gift card not money a card!

Quoting iluv2meow:

Gift Card = Money more or less. And give me a break, its still the same thing. I am still utterly shocked you expected gifts, money, gift cards whatever.

Quoting Anonymous:

who said MONEY. I said a card

Quoting iluv2meow:

I am utterly shocked you were expecting people to give your daughter MONEY!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM
I wouldn't have sent a gift, but I would have offered to send a dish or help out with the party.
kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM
No. However make the best out of it and I hope it was fun. Sounds like your daugjter has a good head on jer shoulders. Be proud.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluv2meow
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:40 AM

You must live or grow up or raised in a different nature than me because I have never heard of expecting gifts from my friends which I graduate with. My little one graduated from Kindergarten. if I organized a party for her to celebrate and invited all her other K friends, no I would not have expected a gift or card considering we would not be expected to give her friends gifts or cards. i think it is ridiculous you are hosting a graduation party with her friends and expecting those things.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes I absolutely would if their parents had a party. Thats what we did at mine and my friends 8th grade graduation. 

Quoting iluv2meow:

Ok i went back to re-read your original statement you are correct, i mis read gift card for card/gift.

I am still utterly shocked you expected HER FRIENDS to give HER GIFTS... Did you give them gifts? They graduated too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Thank you, I am very proud of her! She is a great kid and I am lucky to be her mom!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I kind of feel like it would be the same as throwing a house party and expecting gifts. I would see it as general party, like, hey celebration at my house! No I wouldn't have even thought to send a gift.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get what everyne is saying that they all have accomplished graduating 8th grade. But the school is not throwing the party, The other kids parents aren't throwing this party. Nobody bought the food/supplies but me. I would never not send my child without a card or atleast offer something for throwing the party. I am proud of my daughter!

Fatal_Frost
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I would not send my kid with a gift/card...  Why the fuck would I?  If it was a party b/c they ALL were graduating, wtf makes your dd so special, JUST b/c her mom threw her the party?  No one forced you to spend a boat load of money on the party...   Talk about entitled...  Do you usually just do things like that to GET stuff instead of doing things to show your dd's friends a good time?

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM
You volunteered yourself up for that. Don't offer if you don't expect people to take advantage of your offer.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get what everyne is saying that they all have accomplished graduating 8th grade. But the school is not throwing the party, The other kids parents aren't throwing this party. Nobody bought the food/supplies but me. I would never not send my child without a card or atleast offer something for throwing the party. I am proud of my daughter!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM

but then why not offer a food dessert or drink to offset the cost of the party. I spent a lot of time, money and stressed myself out. 

Quoting iluv2meow:

You must live or grow up or raised in a different nature than me because I have never heard of expecting gifts from my friends which I graduate with. My little one graduated from Kindergarten. if I organized a party for her to celebrate and invited all her other K friends, no I would not have expected a gift or card considering we would not be expected to give her friends gifts or cards. i think it is ridiculous you are hosting a graduation party with her friends and expecting those things.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting iluv2meow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)