Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teaching preschooler to read?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 136 Replies

At what age can you teach your preschooler to read? DD is 3. I've seen some teaching materials for ages 18 months to 5 years. What do you think? If you have older children, did you work with them on this around age 3?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM
My son is 2 and he reads 3,4,5,and 6 letter words. I used word world on pbs and made my own flash cards. I also taught him the letter sounds so he can sound out the words
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jonellg
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM

My son learned to read at 2, he's 3 now and reading and writing on his own. They are never to young to start learning.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM

It depends on the kid.  I read a book about how to teach your kid to read...like as young as 18 months.  I tried it with my sons, ages 3 & 1.  They were able to understand a tiny bit, but I don't think it helped them as much as I'd hoped.  They're 11 & 9 & still struggle.  My dd is 4 & can read.  She craves more learning.  When the other kids are drawing circles on the sidewalk, she's spelling words.  So I pushed my older kids to get smarter faster...and it didn't work too well.  I don't have as much time to push my younger kids...and they're soaking up every little bit of teaching I give them lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Quoting jonellg:

My son learned to read at 2, he's 3 now and reading and writing on his own. They are never to young to start learning.

Oh my, I better get on this :)

abbymommy915
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I'm gonna start working with Dd when she is 2
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM
10 moms liked this
Sorry, at that age all it is is rote memorization. They can't truly comprehend what it is they are "reading" unless they are actually gifted.
Machelle669
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM
bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

It depends on the kid.  I read a book about how to teach your kid to read...like as young as 18 months.  I tried it with my sons, ages 3 & 1.  They were able to understand a tiny bit, but I don't think it helped them as much as I'd hoped.  They're 11 & 9 & still struggle.  My dd is 4 & can read.  She craves more learning.  When the other kids are drawing circles on the sidewalk, she's spelling words.  So I pushed my older kids to get smarter faster...and it didn't work too well.  I don't have as much time to push my younger kids...and they're soaking up every little bit of teaching I give them lol.

I don't mean I'd push, but she knows colors, numbers, the alphabet, shapes, and is asking, for example, "What does E-F-I-I-J" spell, throwing random letters together and asking what they spell, so maybe I can start teaching her how to spell.

jonellg
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

We announced my pregnancy by having DS read it in a video it was freaking adorable.  When he was done I asked DD6 if she new what that meant and she said "yeah, he can read" I about died.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jonellg:

Oh my, I better get on this :)

Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM
You have to work at it. We watch educational shows all day. We started as soon as 1 and started with letters one at a time. Im a sahm so I have all day to work on it. It can be done. My 2yo is ready for kindergarden but he is way to young. They get out what you put in. stay patient and work on repetition
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)