Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teaching preschooler to read?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

At what age can you teach your preschooler to read? DD is 3. I've seen some teaching materials for ages 18 months to 5 years. What do you think? If you have older children, did you work with them on this around age 3?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Replies (111-120):
SlightlyPerfect
Ugliness and worthlessness, when combined, will only produce failure.
Yesterday at 10:16 AM
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM

My 3.5 year old can read some words and write her name.

slightlyperfect

NaturalMama1026
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I have leap frog dvd's for the kids and i really helps with the phonics concept to start off.  My daughters started reading around 4 but you want to start with the basics long before so that it is a gradual progression and not something that seems like a daunting task.  Just remember to keep it enjoyable, if it besome stressful remember these are the years that you don't HAVE TO do it.  You only get those once and then it's business after that!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Right?? I don't like to compare, but holy crap, my oldest learned to read in kindergarten. He does an excellent job, now. : /

Quoting kidlover2:

Dang... my children must be idiots from all of these posts... they learned to read at 5. My 8 year old who reads constantly is still only 2 grade levels ahead. I need to get in on whatever you moms are teaching
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:17 PM

My eldest was reading the super simple books by age 3.   But my youngest, now a little past 4, barely knows her letter sounds.

We start with letter sounds and only teach one sound per letter (I personally start with the hard sounds for consonants like C and G...  (cat and goat not cycle and gym)... and the short sounds for vowels)...   then the next time we go through the alphabet, if the kids have the hang of the simple sounds, we introduce that some letters have more than one sound...

This lays a good phonetic foundation, and we just start reading A TON of books together.   CONSTANTLY.    Also, working with patterns and fine motor skills helps too.   Especially patterns because you train the eye to "read" the pattern from left to right like they are supposed to read words.

We just focus on a love of books for a while, and start sounding out words and continue to commit letter sounds to memory.   We talk about beginning sounds and ending sounds of words... and then start adding short vowels and long vowels to the different sounds.... you work with sound patterns, syllables, poems, and rhymes.

We start recognizing what letter something starts with.   Like, labeling things all over the house that begin with the letter of the week.     Then, as child advances, we look for words that END with different sounds.

Eventually, this DOES lead to a lot of reading.  From there, I get them into a basic phonics program that's kg or 1st grade level, and we just continue to LOVE books.   TONS of read alouds.

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM

My DD knew how to read about 50+ words by 4 yrs of age and could spell correctly 36 words. She was reading easy readers on her own by the time she began kindergarten. It really depends on the child. They will let you know if they are ready.

NatashaOlivia
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Kids start to properly understand some of the english language from 12-18 months. DD is 2 and she reads 3 and 4 letter words, a couple of 5's but not at a lot. She can count to 100 with little hints after 75-ish and she can read her own name, we're in the process of learning to write it!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Angeldolphine
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Get flashcards with letters on one side and pictures on the other. I like the ones alphabet flash cards from schoolzone.com because the upper and little case letters are seperate. When you show your child, instead of saying the letter, say Aaaaaaa turn over the card and say APPLE!!! Be very excited and do it quickly. You can start this when they are babies.

Josie.Grossie
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

My 4 and 5 year old just know letters and sounds, Well my 5 year old who is finishing pre k knows the Spanish alphabet as well since she is dual immersion. She also knows some sight words.

My oldest taught himself to read at age 3. He is now 8.'

Every kid is different so some are ready young and others are not.

eta: We use starfall.com

BEST site ever!!!

tennisgal
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

We're homeschoolers and my 6yo still can't read. He loves spelling races, but when we try to read those Stage 1 books, he totally blanks out. I've tried numerous times to teach him, but it has mostly just frustrated me, so I've just backed off. We read several times a time (and he really enjoys that) so I'm not too worried. He is also very strong and confident in math, so I think he just takes after DH in that aspect. 

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I think it depends on how interested the child is in reading. I don't think you can hurt anything by trying. She may not be reading shakespear in the 4th grade but she'll probably have an easier time mastering sight words and feel more confident. I do know a few kids that could read before preschool and they were just exceptionally interested in reading. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)