Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teaching preschooler to read?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

At what age can you teach your preschooler to read? DD is 3. I've seen some teaching materials for ages 18 months to 5 years. What do you think? If you have older children, did you work with them on this around age 3?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Replies (51-60):
iluv2meow
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Memorizing words/letters is not reading in my opinion

Elayna90
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM
It depends on the kids. My oldest was starting to read about 2. My youngest is now 4 and is just starting to be interested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kit_manson
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

It really depends on what you find appropriate. I never had books censored, and I don't believe in doing so either- as long as you communicate and perhaps approach mature topics together.

Anne rice's Blood and Gold is an interesting fictional take on the fall of rome. Her novel Taltos can be approached from a perspective regarding pacifism and the sanctity of life.

If you think she can handle it, try some sci fi- Brave new world, little brother, 1984...
Lots of poetry. Byron, Tennyson, etc.

Read Frankenstein, it's not very scary. If you're daring (and she can understand it) try Lolita. It's grim, but it helps her understand the minds of these people. Be careful though, even adults sometimes think that Humbert Humbert truly loved Lolita, or that she really did seduce him and enjoy it, as he thought. It was not consentual at all.

Quoting kaffedrikke:

Thats super cool. All of use were super early readers. I remember getting made fun of for reading several grades ahead, oh well. My daughter is now three grade levels ahead. More suggestions would be great for her.

Quoting kit_manson:

I learned at 1. It can be done. I would reccommend reading to them, not focussing on children's materials, but classics. Read shakespeare and explain where the words come from. Read tolkein and such. I was raised on beowulf and poetry, and I reached a university level in third grade.

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

kit_manson
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Exactly! Poetry especially is good for young children because it also teaches them rhythm and vocal patterns. Plus they looove it.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

They even tell you to read higher level material to the baby in the womb. It kind of goes with the thought process of not doing baby talk. I love the classics and plan to expose my child to as much material as possible.

Quoting kit_manson:

I learned at 1. It can be done. I would reccommend reading to them, not focussing on children's materials, but classics. Read shakespeare and explain where the words come from. Read tolkein and such. I was raised on beowulf and poetry, and I reached a university level in third grade.

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

queencreekmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM
From a mom of 3 with 15 years of teaching preschool and kinder I would say the best thing you can do is read to your child! Teach her the letter sounds (phonics) and then if she How to spell something tell her. Don't drill with flash cards, workbooks, etc. it's not age or developmentally appropriate or even necessary. Watch PBS. Awesome educational shows! Get letters for you fridge she can play with. My oldest started reading at 2. He was reading chapter books by 4. My second ds learned to read in kinder and now he is reading at 6th grade level in 2nd grade. Each child is different. Just make it fun and dont push! I promise it all evens out. I had kids who stark kinder in my class reading and others who don't even know a letter. By 6th grade, for most of them, you wouldn't be able to tell which was which!
Read to them constantly! Best way to raise readers!
LucyHarper
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

He could read the letters and knew their sounds by sight when he was about two, could read simple words at three, he's now four and reads picture books and short chapter books. There are those programs that "teach" young toddlers like 18 months to "read" but really they are just teaching them to memorize the words, not actually how to sound out and spell out the words. Like they will know that dog spells dog, but they wont know the sound that the d makes on its own. We taught him how to read simply by sitting down and reading with him, sounding out the words, pointing out words in everyday life and sounding them out, just showing him how words work and how the letters work together to make the sounds and he picked it up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM
4 moms liked this

What is WRONG with you all? My 2 month old reads at a high school level. Some of you are sooooooooooo behind.

No, not really, but come on people! They won't fail in life if they aren't reading by 2.

kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I dont censor too much either.

Quoting kit_manson:

It really depends on what you find appropriate. I never had books censored, and I don't believe in doing so either- as long as you communicate and perhaps approach mature topics together.

Anne rice's Blood and Gold is an interesting fictional take on the fall of rome. Her novel Taltos can be approached from a perspective regarding pacifism and the sanctity of life.

If you think she can handle it, try some sci fi- Brave new world, little brother, 1984...
Lots of poetry. Byron, Tennyson, etc.

Read Frankenstein, it's not very scary. If you're daring (and she can understand it) try Lolita. It's grim, but it helps her understand the minds of these people. Be careful though, even adults sometimes think that Humbert Humbert truly loved Lolita, or that she really did seduce him and enjoy it, as he thought. It was not consentual at all.

Quoting kaffedrikke:

Thats super cool. All of use were super early readers. I remember getting made fun of for reading several grades ahead, oh well. My daughter is now three grade levels ahead. More suggestions would be great for her.

Quoting kit_manson:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
youngmamma11
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM
My daughter is 5 and reads. She just got it this year. She was able to red words, like colors, before.. but only because she knew the color.. if that makes any sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yo_ho
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Started at 3 with both my kids. My 6 yr old is now reading the Percy Jackson series (300 pages each). My almost 4 yr old is catching on and I love seeing him smile when he gets it :). We did have problems with comprehension with my oldest last year, but no problems now. I heard that can be from hooked on phonics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)