Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it okay to give my son some melatonin to get him on a regular sleep schedule?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I don't know what is going on with my 16 month old son lately, he is going thru a phase that some nights he stays up til 3 or 4am! If we get him up early he just naps unless we shake him awake throughout the day. I take melatonin at night to sleep, learned about it thru my dad who gives it to my brothers with autism to sleep at night for years since they were like 4 I think he heard about it. If I give my son like a 4th a pill crushed in some applesauce to kickstart his natural sleep cycle is that okay for his age or only for older kids?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (61-70):
mopsmommy5
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Try Calming Forte disolving pills by Hylands first. They are made for younger ones. Melatonin can be used for two and up by pediatrician advisement! They work great, the Calming Forte. Some kids just need some extra help, I know mine did! Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM
I agree. It said it could possibly temporarily cause infertility so not to use if you're tcc but I researched for months and found nothing about the puberty. I think you'd have to use it a hell of a long time even if it was true. I don't think a few nights a week for a few weeks is going to cause any problems if doses properly.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Quoting Anonymous:

There was also some talk a couple of years ago about melatonin causing boys to start puberty earlier. Really, there would have to be a hardcore medical need for me to consider giving a child that young a sleep supplement. Something more than he's going through a phase and won't sleep. Every child I know went through a phase like this at that age and none were medicated.

Quoting Anonymous:

That isn't true. They *think it could do that if u use it long term but aren't 100%.

Quoting Chris030406:

Once you begin giving melatonin, you may have to continue. Your body adapts to the extra, then stops making its own. This is what I found when I looked into giving it to my 7yro son. Obviously, I didn't.

MilfShake26
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM
I've never heard of that. I'll have to look them up. Thanks.

Quoting mopsmommy5:

Try Calming Forte disolving pills by Hylands first. They are made for younger ones. Melatonin can be used for two and up by pediatrician advisement! They work great, the Calming Forte. Some kids just need some extra help, I know mine did! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ann7227
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM

That's to young. Talk to your doctor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM
If you truly tried everything else, it's fine. But I'd only give him like 1/8 or 1/4 mg to start.

But first try putting him to bed earlier. Most people don't understand how a child's sleep schedule works. Staying up til 3am sounds like he's way over tired. Make sure he's getting a good nap during the day, do the routine thing and then put him to sleep (however you do it) at like 5 or 6. Seriously. My dd goes to bed @ 530 every night. It works wonders for us. Remember, sleep begets sleep. Keeping them up or skipping naps makes night time sleep worse, not better.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I wouldn't give it to a child that young, most of my friends start doing it around age 2, its common for kids to go through a phase where they like to be up at night, they think they are gonna miss something if they go to sleep.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Yes itd diagnosed. They wake randomly through out the night with panic attacks. I have it to. Its from the abuse we suffered from their dad.

Quoting shajdinyak:

Interesting. What is sleep anxiety? Is that an actual diagnosis? My four year old has major sleep issues. Will not go to sleep on her own sleep by herself. Still doesn't sleep through the night!

Quoting Anonymous:

16 mo ? Hell no unless his pedi says so.

My 2 &5 yr.old take it daily but only because other things have failed and they have sleep anxiety and their Dr recommend we try it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Its all natural. I don't see it beable able to do anything other than make your body dependant on the extra if you take it frequent and long enough.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. It said it could possibly temporarily cause infertility so not to use if you're tcc but I researched for months and found nothing about the puberty. I think you'd have to use it a hell of a long time even if it was true. I don't think a few nights a week for a few weeks is going to cause any problems if doses properly.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Quoting Anonymous:

There was also some talk a couple of years ago about melatonin causing boys to start puberty earlier. Really, there would have to be a hardcore medical need for me to consider giving a child that young a sleep supplement. Something more than he's going through a phase and won't sleep. Every child I know went through a phase like this at that age and none were medicated.

Quoting Anonymous:

That isn't true. They *think it could do that if u use it long term but aren't 100%.

Quoting Chris030406:

Once you begin giving melatonin, you may have to continue. Your body adapts to the extra, then stops making its own. This is what I found when I looked into giving it to my 7yro son. Obviously, I didn't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM
The bottle for Calm Forte says two and up also.

Quoting mopsmommy5:

vixen42
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM

you should ask your doctor,my sons doctor told me I could give my 11 year old son 1mg because he was on  strong meds that made him hyper but I would not do it if he had not given his ok

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured