Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Taxes and food stamps

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM
  • 253 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am TIRED of being penalized.  I worked my butt off, got my degree, got my career, work hard every day getting up at the crack of dawn to go to work. All school year I am exhausted from getting up so early and working so hard as a full time teacher and a full time mom.  What's my reward? Can I actually be rewarded with some money in MY pocket from all MY hard work?  No!  I have to pay more taxes. I have until the end of August to pay up. I have to somehow pay $4000 to the IRS while not working over the summer, since I'm a teacher. I can't get a job over the summer because, who's going to watch my 3 kids? Childcare is expensive and if I work, I will have that money taken away for childcare anyway. I am going to QUIT my job, get my child tax credits back from the gov't, and get on food stamps so other chumps can pay my way. sounds like a great plan doesn't it? 

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JADIEBUG
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Tutor. My friend is a teacher and she tutors kids over the summer during hours her husband can be home with the kids. She makes pretty decent money at it too.

lalaboosh
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM
3 moms liked this
Lame. Shhhh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vicki77433
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

If you are serious, which I doubt, tutor over the summer.  Most of my teacher friends do. 

jcm28
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

you know what my mom use to do that. sometimes working was a waste of time. So use to work on and off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM
13 moms liked this

The grass is not always greener on the other side.  Be thankful you were able to get your degree, you are able to work, and you can provide and clean safe environment for you children.  Things are not always as they seem.  Be thankful for what you do have and get over the jealousy. 

L1558
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Same for me, except I have two jobs and have to work all summer and no winter or spring break for me. Instead of owing the IRS I started having extra money taken from my checks. 

I'm not a teacher; I envy the breaks they get-- I get 5 paid days off per year, and cannot even use them all at the same time. And I'm a full-timer.

Teachers have the option of tutoring, teaching summer school, teaching driver's ed, or even babysitting during summer. I'd love to be able to have that time with my kid....so you may be somewhat unlucky tax-wise, but at least you can make some memories together with your kids. I'd love to have even a full week off to spend with my kid in summer. Only time I've been off that long in the past 9 years was when I was unemployed, laid off, looking for work and had little money....

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Quoting vicki77433:

If you are serious, which I doubt, tutor over the summer.  Most of my teacher friends do. 

Oh yes I am serious. Trade places with me and see how it is.  I cannot tutor. My dh works and someone has to watch my kids. tutoring companies require you to go to clients houses (meaning I'll have to drive all over creation,,yay more gas and wear and tear on my car).  So, I'm pretty much screwed.  Screw me I have to pay up $4000 now! that's my reward.

cherrywaves21
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Sounds like your degree isn't doing you much good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Why do you have to pay so much? Are your exemptions too high?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Tutor over the summer! 

You can also set up a payment plan with the IRS if you need to. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)