Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am TIRED of being penalized.  I worked my butt off, got my degree, got my career, work hard every day getting up at the crack of dawn to go to work. All school year I am exhausted from getting up so early and working so hard as a full time teacher and a full time mom.  What's my reward? Can I actually be rewarded with some money in MY pocket from all MY hard work?  No!  I have to pay more taxes. I have until the end of August to pay up. I have to somehow pay $4000 to the IRS while not working over the summer, since I'm a teacher. I can't get a job over the summer because, who's going to watch my 3 kids? Childcare is expensive and if I work, I will have that money taken away for childcare anyway. I am going to QUIT my job, get my child tax credits back from the gov't, and get on food stamps so other chumps can pay my way. sounds like a great plan doesn't it? 

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Replies (41-50):
KatieLeigh1984
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:39 PM
3 moms liked this

This is why America is falling apart, people want handouts because "everyone" else gets them. You knew damned well going into a career like teaching that the pay sucks.

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Sure does.

DixieL
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I don't understand why you have to pay so much in taxes. I have always heard that teachers don't make much money and I'm sure they don't make anywhere near what they deserve

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Quoting sucker4myloves:

And FYI, cut food stamps and medicaid out completely, you'd still be charged just as much in taxes, only it would be going in someone else's pocket under a new guise. Some people genuinely need help. Some don't. You don't know everyone's story, and until you've been in someone's shoes, have no right to judge.

I absolutely have no problem with helping people who truly need the help. I needed help once and only once and I changed my situation and got a job. I was never on fs, but my dh went to the hospital while I was student teaching. I worked full time for free student teaching to finish my degree requirements while having a 2 and 4 year old, and dh was gone for a month and we lost all income so I had no choice but to go to a food pantry ministry and church paid my bills for one and only one month. And thankfully, dh got well and soon got a job after that.  So no, I have no problem helping the helpless, I do have a problem with people who abuse the system.

kathislove80
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM
My mom tutored during the summer. I played on my own when she did. The kids would come to our house. She made good money doing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momieoffive242
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

if it is better you might want to look around at some schools hiring teachers not all have cut their staff it might be a moved but if it it a plus go for it

StrongerAlone
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM
You don't get paid still for the summer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Why the hell do you owe $4000 in taxes?

I'm an accountant, there are few scenarios that would cause this. Yours doesn't seem like one.

What did you do that made you owe so much?
LadyBugMom09
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Tutor in the summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Change your exemptions, you are not withholding enough.  Or set aside money during the year to pay your taxes.  It's not like you don't know you have to pay Uncle Sam each year.  Put a little thought into it before hand -- such as looking at your income mid year and estimating how much you will have by year end, then pulling the tax tables off irs.gov to see if you will have withheld enough.  With the internet at our finger tips, there's no need to be surprised at year end. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)