Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you are in a restaurant, and your child has a tantrum do you...

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: To dine or not to dine, that is the question.

Options:

Stay and finish the meal

Grab a to-go box! Dinner is over!

Wait until baby calms down and then finish the meal

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 125

View Results

If you are out dining with your family and your child has a tantrum (specifically infants and toddlers) or maybe they're tired and start crying, what do you do? After you have tried to calm your child, and that fails, do you remove your child from the table out of consideration for other customers? Or do you ignore your child and continue eating?

Have you ever received rude comments about your crying child, or do you run into people who are understanding of the situation?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
areyouatroll
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Lol at this post
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

She made it seem like TTs should be expected because they are a part of life, since when?

Quoting camdenp10:

What exactly do you mean?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Since when did temper tantrums become a part of life?

Quoting moosesmom:

You know what I think is really crazy? I'm willing to bet that over half of the people who give those dirty looks were parents to young children at one time. HELLLOOO! They were even kids themselves. Lol. It's life you know? These things happen.

Quoting camdenp10:

This. We also try to plan around his naps and try to pick up on any cues that he may be getting tired. and stay at home until he has had a nap or calmed down. Sometimes they just need some fresh air away from people in a restaurant.

I have never received any comments but have had looks. And I was trying my best to calm him down, I didn't need any ugly looks.

Quoting KristyCat:

Neither. Take her outside, calm her down and return when she chills out.

mcr17
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:04 PM

last i checked, my child is not an "it"

Quoting demonica29:

Quoting mcr17:

i let her throw her tantrum. i dont really care what other people think of it. if they dont like it, they have the option to leave.

Not I any restaurant I ever managed. you would have been politely asked to remove your child to calm it down, or your food would have been packed and your bill presented.

dietsunkist
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:05 PM

We stopped eating out because DD (7 months) gets bored and wants to crawl around so she fusses the whole time. For us, going to a restaurant is special and of course, costing us extra money so we wouldn't want to hear someone's child scream the whole time so why make other people listen to our child scream? She's too little to understand and it's not worth wasting money eating out when we are going to be stressed. We just get to go now!

ittybit2012
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I leave.  I also give the server a bigger tip than normal too.  I apologize to those close to us and we get the hell out of there.  Thankfully, my kids only did that once or twice each.  I refuse to be the cause of ruin for someone else's evening.  

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

lol I forgot. I before E except after C. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The word is quiet, but I agree with you!

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Take them outside. No one has the right to fuck up my meal cause they can't control their child. Trust me, I'll make my frustration known to the parent and the manager. 

My family ownes a few small restaurants, you have about 2 minutes to quite your child before being ask to leave. I help out with Customer service and people honestly wont come back when the managers do not make them quite their child. No one wants to hear a child cry whether their at McDonald's or a 5 star restaurant!

Quite your kid or exit!

perezamberly
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Ok I'm in tears right now... That is the sweetest thing ever. People can be so great

Quoting mommy_me:

Ive never had someone be rude, they were all very nice and understanding.

When my youngest was about 4 months we were out and she was crying and I didnt know what to do for her anymore. This nice old couple was sitting at the table next to us and we had been chatting back and forth since we sat down. Well the lady offered to take the baby while I finished my food. I was half done and she was on dessert. So I passed the baby to her and she rocked her in her chair for the 10 minutes it took me to finish eating. I thanked her and my dh and her dh went to pay the bill and we left and thanking her extensively.

On the way home dh told me that the man had told him that they lost their only child years before and would never have grandchildren and his wife loved babies so much and we had no idea how much she loved the 10 minutes of holding our baby. :*)

I will never forget that <3

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
demonica29
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Quoting mcr17:

Whatever, pedant.
jonellg
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I would leave.

camdenp10
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I think in some ways, they are. My son is 19 months so the tantrums are starting, but we try to head them off. HE also has trouble communicating so he gets frustrated, but  I do not think that a child can have  a tantrum any and everywhere. What she meant is that kid will have meltdowns sometime, somewhere. That people should be a little patient with them.

I think as long as the mother/father/ whoever is trying to calm the child down, then don't give dirty looks. BUt if you are not doing anything about it, then I would say something.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

She made it seem like TTs should be expected because they are a part of life, since when?

Quoting camdenp10:

What exactly do you mean?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Since when did temper tantrums become a part of life?

Quoting moosesmom:

You know what I think is really crazy? I'm willing to bet that over half of the people who give those dirty looks were parents to young children at one time. HELLLOOO! They were even kids themselves. Lol. It's life you know? These things happen.

Quoting camdenp10:

This. We also try to plan around his naps and try to pick up on any cues that he may be getting tired. and stay at home until he has had a nap or calmed down. Sometimes they just need some fresh air away from people in a restaurant.

I have never received any comments but have had looks. And I was trying my best to calm him down, I didn't need any ugly looks.

Quoting KristyCat:

Neither. Take her outside, calm her down and return when she chills out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN