Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Chickenpox parties?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM
  • 230 Replies
Have you ever taken your child to one?
Would you consider it?
Yay or nay?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM
5 moms liked this
No, I would never do something like that! I think those that do are cruel morons that should have their kids taken away! You don't purposely try and make your child sick! It's just wrong! I don't understand why people don't understand that.
i.love.my.life
by Arika on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM
5 moms liked this
I would do it. I want my kids to get the chicken pox, and with the vaccines, its hard to come by.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Velasquez
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Not on purpose,but my 1st dd got chicken pox at 4 months old.
Threw a family member. I think it's better when they get it at a small age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM
4 moms liked this

Well, I was born in the 50's, and I never went to one - although they did exist.  I had chicken pox - it wasn't nearly as bad as the measles, which I also had, and the mumps - all in the same year - although worse than ruebella (which I also had in the same year).

That said, I would much rather the child had chicken pox than the vaccine.  Read up on the history of it, it wasn't created because they didn't want kids to get sick - it was because it was the cause of so much lost productivity once so many moms entered the workforce.  Because yeah - you gotta stay HOME with your kid for a week or so.  As in really HOME - not to the store, or the park, or anything else.

That said, my son got it from a kid at the family daycare he went to.  One kid had it, and the provider called me at work, and said my kid had been exposed - and I could pick him up or not.  And that she would still care for any that came down with it in her home.  He got it (of course), but then he had complications from it, requiring a doctors visit.  Being that he is allergic to all pencillin type drugs, it took a bit to clear up the infection too.  But even given that, I would have still preferred the pox over the vaccine.  And I am NOT one of the "no vaccine" moms either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM
I am 38 years old and never had chicken pox. I am not immune, and never been vaxed for them either. My children are all vaxed for it and gave also never had them.
lilblu399
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM
My mom in a way did that with us, this was before the vaccine and actually was the best way to go. I got the pox last in my house. I have thought about it with my youngest, my son is already vaccinated for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bgbd
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM
Yes. If anyone in our circle of friends has a child who comes down with cp, I will take ds over to play. He has been vacc. against it, however chicken pox later in life can leave a man sterile. Id much rather ds have them as a child
1stpreggers
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Nay my parents did this to me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
My2Midgets01
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally made me think of south park... And to get back their parents the kids had a whore give their parents herpes. Parents beware....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I absolutely would. I wouldn't want them to end up having them get them as an adult!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)