Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it considered stuttering

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM
  • 4 Replies

When a child is trying to tell you something,  but gets the words all jumbled and confused?

Example: My 6 year old is trying to tell me about her day, (this happens often when she is excited or tired or mad)

She is trying to say  "I went to the store with grandma, and bought some shoes"

What comes out  "I gram, store, gram, shoe...."

I have to tell her to stop and think about what she is trying to say and then say it....Once she stops for a second she can get it out clearly...

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Two_Hearts
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I don't think that is stuttering. 

i think that is just a case of needing to stop and take a breath and think of what she wants to say slowly lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM
I wouldn't consider that stuterring. Stutter is being stuck on a work like da da da da da diamond.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:57 AM
I wouldn't consider that stuttering..
But at 6 years old, that would worry me if she does that a lot....excited or not..

I have a 6 year old and sometimes he'll say "um" a lot. I'll just tell him to stop and then think about what he needs to say. Seems to help. :)
EvelynP
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM

If it continues, it could be "cluttering."  Check out the brochure section of stutteringhelp.org as there is one that explains cluttering.  That web site also has good tips for parents about talking with toddlers and helping their language development.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)