Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What a headache... Losing weight on medical restrictions.

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:38 AM
  • 7 Replies

I was diagnosed with a "multi" (or pan) metabolic disorder during the year. I had surgery a few weeks ago, and have been given the green light to do some basic non-strenuous exercise from my Endocrinologist. My only exception is that I can't swim for another week via doctor orders. 

We were sitting down and talking about my meds, and two of them make me retain fluid including put on fat. So far I have been surprised post-op in that I haven't put on as much weight as I otherwise thought. But now my Doctor has said that once one of my meds has been decreased at the end of this week, I have to go on a controlled food plan to control my Type 1 Diabetes, plus also get back under 125lb. (Around 130 at the moment, so not too much to lose). Anywho, these were the guidelines that he set:

- No over-heating or sweating.

- No extreme cold or extreme hot environments.

- No prolonged cardio with the exception of warm up (no more than 5 mins).

- No plyometrics and no extreme boot camps.

- No water sports (temporarily).

So... Pretty much it seems to be at least 3/4 of any exercise routine out on the market. The only things he has promoted are weight training and resistance with "light" weights and walking. But he did say if I could find other light exercises that promoted muscle strength, flexibility with basic energy burning then go for it.

Can anyone think of other new exercise trends on the market I could try? I can think of yoga as well. As for food he has said to stick to low carb, unless I'm exercising. I have to keep a food diary to show him. Advice anyone?

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:45 AM
Yoga sounds pretty much it. Once you can get in the water though swimming or water aerobics will be a good work out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DejaVooDoo
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. I might look into some classes as there is one close by. I go for a follow up appointment to check on the area they operated on (that is why I was restricted from water). I'm sure the Doctor will let me know when I can go back in. I can't wait, I love exercising in water. It has been so long!

Quoting KelliansMom:

Yoga sounds pretty much it. Once you can get in the water though swimming or water aerobics will be a good work out.

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck. Oh also maybe a stationary bike? I know I use it when I have an ingury but still want to do something. Don't really sweat much while on it it's pretty relaxed work out

Quoting DejaVooDoo:

Thanks for the reply. I might look into some classes as there is one close by. I go for a follow up appointment to check on the area they operated on (that is why I was restricted from water). I'm sure the Doctor will let me know when I can go back in. I can't wait, I love exercising in water. It has been so long!

Quoting KelliansMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Yoga and Pilates
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DejaVooDoo
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Thank you, another good idea! All I need to do is lower the resistance. I used to get gung-ho with the controls before, all I have to do is lessen it. 

Quoting KelliansMom:

Good luck. Oh also maybe a stationary bike? I know I use it when I have an ingury but still want to do something. Don't really sweat much while on it it's pretty relaxed work out

Quoting DejaVooDoo:

Quoting KelliansMom:

DejaVooDoo
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I knew there was one at the back of my mind I had forgotten!

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Yoga and Pilates

Piskie
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Tai chi too... Very good for the mind and body. Random housework counts, up n down stairs all day. Walking and swimming when you're able are great exercise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)