If you have been looking for a job for more than a month or two & have decided to use the economy as your excuse for not working, let me give you a few tips based on things I have seen that may be holding you back:
1) Dress nicely. Don't say you don't have one nice outfit. Borrow something, go to Goodwill, re-work what's in your closet. Khakis are NOT dress pants! Wear dress pants, preferably a polo or button down shirt, and NO SANDLES (these are not dress shoes). While we are talking clothes, make sure they are ironed.
2) Smile & make eye contact during your interview.
3) Research the company you are interviewing. Impress them with your background knowledge & that you cared enough to look into their company.
4) Have a couple people look over your resume. Use action words as the first word in each sentence that talks about your skills & experience. Put your resume in order from most useful & impressive to least useful. This may change with each job you apply for. It's okay to tailor your resume to different job types. You want the perspective employer to think you are only applying for a job at their company because you think it's the best.
5)Be confident. Give a firm handshake. BS the confidence if you have to! These people don't know you. You can act confident for 30 minutes. Practice in a mirror in you must.
6) Once you have a job, give it 110% all the time. Good enough is no longer good enough! You need to stay off you cell phone while at work, come to work early, do what you're told, and do it well. This will help ensure you keep said job & also help with raises & promotions.
Feel free to add you own. These things used to be taught way back when I was in school, but judging by what I've seen out there, I don't think it is taught any more. I hope these tips help.