Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PSA For Those Who Feel They "Can't" Get a Job

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM
  • 162 Replies
4 moms liked this

If you have been looking for a job for more than a month or two & have decided to use the economy as your excuse for not working, let me give you a few tips based on things I have seen that may be holding you back:

1) Dress nicely.  Don't say you don't have one nice outfit.  Borrow something, go to Goodwill, re-work what's in your closet.  Khakis are NOT dress pants!  Wear dress pants, preferably a polo or button down shirt, and NO SANDLES (these are not dress shoes).  While we are talking clothes, make sure they are ironed. 

2) Smile & make eye contact during your interview.

3) Research the company you are interviewing.  Impress them with your background knowledge & that you cared enough to look into their company.

4) Have a couple people look over your resume.  Use action words as the first word in each sentence that talks about your skills & experience.  Put your resume in order from most useful & impressive to least useful.  This may change with each job you apply for.  It's okay to tailor your resume to different job types.  You want the perspective employer to think you are only applying for a job at their company because you think it's the best.

5)Be confident.  Give a firm handshake.  BS the confidence if you have to!  These people don't know you.  You can act confident for 30 minutes.  Practice in a mirror in you must.

6) Once you have a job, give it 110% all the time.  Good enough is no longer good enough!  You need to stay off you cell phone while at work, come to work early, do what you're told, and do it well.  This will help ensure you keep said job & also help with raises & promotions.

Feel free to add you own.  These things used to be taught way back when I was in school, but judging by what I've seen out there, I don't think it is taught any more.  I hope these tips help.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ElitestJen
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM
7 moms liked this

That's not fair!  Employers should just accept people for who they are!! 

(LOL!)

raegansmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I just thought of another one.  DON'T pick up an application with other people with you.  Especially firends or kids.  Pick  up the application in nice clothes.  Employers DO remember these things.  Trust me!

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Have/ learn some type of certification or skill. Show them what you can bring to their company/ do for their company.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KitT.Kat
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I actually did laugh out loud when I read your reply.

Quoting ElitestJen:

That's not fair!  Employers should just accept people for who they are!! 

(LOL!)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM
I did all of that and more when unemployed and it still took me a flipping year to get a job. My problem was that every position I applied for, so did 100s of others. Hey I am back in my field now :)
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

o.0

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Bump!

hollinicole
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Don't go in saying you will only work these days and these hours.

For the company I use to work for we would get that a lot and your app. Just went right to the back of the box.

Don't pull up with your music blasting.

Don't get mad when they say they are not taking any apps at that time. Still make a good show of your self and ask to leave your information for any opening that may come along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegansmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Glad to hear it!  That brings up another point.  No one is going to call you up while you're sitting home feeling sorry for yourself doing nothing to help yourself!  Get out there & LOOK for work!  I once got a job because I crashed an employer's open house.  They were impressed that I wanted to work there so badly that I showed up unexpected.  Show initiative!

Quoting Anonymous:

I did all of that and more when unemployed and it still took me a flipping year to get a job. My problem was that every position I applied for, so did 100s of others. Hey I am back in my field now :)

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this
But it's so much more fun to sit at home and mooch off others. I can wear pajamas and do that. What you described is way too much work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)