Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What does everyone think about this?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM
  • 98 Replies

When I first got pregnant I was 16. It was a shock to my father and it just made my SO's parents angry (of course). Two weeks before we found out I was pregnant my SO bought a CRAPPY, $200.00, small S-10 pickup. It had been driven into a lake and the owner could not get it to work, hence the price. My SO's father is a mechanic so he fixed it just enough to halfway run. When it idled (most cars are quiet) this truck sounded like my So was revving it as hard as he could. It would also turn off after it idled, like at busy intersection we would have had to wait for a red light and when it turned green and we started to move foward it would turn off and take several tries to get it back on.

When we found out that I was pregnant we bought a carseat and tried to put it in the truck but it was too small! The dash boad kept the top of the car seat from clicking into the bottom. Even if we had somehow gotten it to fit (impossable) htere was only room for the driver and the car seat so if we all had to go somewhere we were screwed.The stupid truck finally breaks down for good about 2 months before mydue date. 

You know what the So's parents do? They buy their son, my SO's younger brother, a car for senior year. We asked them why and they asked what was wrong with my SO's truck. Which we told them several times what was wrong with it adn they knew good and well that it was broken down because they kept asking us when we were going to take it to the junk yard. So his younger brother gets a $1,200.00 NICE car for senior year just because he wants it and us, who were expecting a baby gets nothing.

It has been 2 1/2 years since then and we have had another baby also. In that time they have bought 1 brand new van, it blew a headgasket so they bought another brand new van. They also have bought two new cars for the SO's father. One to get him to work but the SO's younger sister wrecked it so they bought him a newer car. About a month ago, against the SO's parent's wishes my SO's brother sells the car they bought him and they helped him buy another, more expensive one! Then to top it all off yesterday night they go and buy the same sister that crashed the SO's father's car, her OWN car because she has a part time summer job.

Meanwhile we have had to struggle with finding a job within walking distance, which is extremely hard. We were having his friends take him to work when he worked too far from home be he constantly made my SO late and he was fired because of it. The SO has worked at most places nearby there are only about 5 more places that he hasnt worked. He wants to get a factory job that will pay more it is way too far to walk and we dont want to rely on anyone to get him to work. I am currently getting my GED so I can also get a job but it will be a couple months before I am done. We could do so much more with our kids if we had a car. We could enroll them in dance and swimming classes at the YMCA and take them to parks and things like that if we had a car.

I know it sounds whiney but to me and everyone I ask they say it is stupid and we should disown them, It is their money and they can do what they want with it but really? 

*Edit my SO graduated high school a year before his younger brother, with good grades and he didnt get a car. Plus his younger brother hadent even graduated yet. He got it to drive to his senior year. I got pregnant again because the birth control I was taking didnt work. I made sure I took it every day because I did NOT want another baby but I got pregnant anyway.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
militarywife09
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM
I'm not seeing an issue. They got you guys one. Be happy for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jean8282
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Quoting militarywife09:

They didnt get us one

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It is their money to spend as they wish...kwim

Your SO is a grown man with a job and family......so his parents should buy him a car also????

lovemystinky
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Lol, wtf.

They don't owe you shit. You're both able, be willing. Do it yourself. Get a loan, lease, wtfever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM
You said he bought him a truck that broke down right?

Quoting Jean8282:

Quoting militarywife09:

They didnt get us one

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM
12 moms liked this
Maybe they think that if their son wants to be a grown man with children he should actually act like it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Umm it's not their job to provide you a vehicle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Oh wait I read it wrong.

Ok I guess I could see how that would bother you, but there isn't much you can do. Just move on with your family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diamondsetter
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
If you were grown up enough to make a baby then you are grown up enough to buy your own damn car!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM
8 moms liked this

And this is why you shouldn't be having babies at 16. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN