Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nearly paid for a mom's groceries... till I saw what she was buying

Posted by   + Show Post

I was at the self pay ringing up at the same time as another mom.  I was alone and she was only a few feet away so I could hear her conversation with her kids.  They were all so excited to get home because they were hungry, hadnt eaten all day.  The conversation got alarmed and the mom was saying her card wasnt working.  I could tell she needed the food and she didnt know what to do.  She was starting to walk out without her food and I was turning around to offer to pay and then I noticed the packed bags, they are clear so I could see they were filled with  chips, soda and candy.  Not one veggie or fruit. 

I decided they didnt need my help after all.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Replies (51-60):
slransde
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Maybe it was for a.birthday party or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingwifey
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM
55 moms liked this

Back in OCT my Dad called me to go to the house since they thought my Mom was having a heart attack.  He needed me to watch my little sister.  My kids were still asleep (5,4 and 4) I got them in the car, barefoot, hair undone, still in sleepers, I went in my sweats and shirt.  I had 17 miles left for gas.  I was planning on getting gas that day anyways.  Well I get there, get my sisters off to school and go home.  I have 3 miles by the time I make it to the gas station.  I try to pay at the pump and it would not take it.  So I carry all three kids (they were barefoot) into the store.  I checked my balance and apparently hubby had used the debit card the day before.  I had money in my savings but I could not transfer.  I called hubby to see if he could transfer the money, but he was at PT.  While I was trying to figure out what to do, almost in tears from the stress from my Mom and now I was stuck at the gs with my three kids.  A lady gave the cashier 20 dollars to put in my gas tank.  I started crying, I was so thankful.  We had the money, I just could not transfer it at that moment.  She made a stressful day a little bit less stressful.   I am still greatful for what that lady did.  I wish I knew who she was.  

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh, maybe thats all she could afford? I know in my area anyway healthy food is way more expensive than the healthy stuff. I will would have offered to pay for at least SOME of it so the kiddos could eat. :( 

mamadrama15
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Judging by her behavior more than likely yea

Quoting Wendykay1:

I felt really bad for that little girl but then my husband pointed out to me that she was probably a fraud.

Quoting mamadrama15:

Wow that is absolutely terrible! 

Quoting Wendykay1:

Once when i had just finished shopping and was putting my groceries in my car a young woman came up to me with her daughter (im guessing around 4 / 5yrs old) and asked if I could give her a few bucks so she could give buy her daughter mcdonalds. I told her no but that I would be happy to purchase her some groceries at the store. I was struggling at the time but was willing to help her out.

The lady said fu I want the cash. I told her I couldn't help her out then. as they walked away the lady flipped me off and her daughter did the same.

I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendykay1
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
It makes me sad because their are people out their that really do need the help then you have jerks like that that make it impossible for people to know if they really need the help or not.

Quoting Mom2theboy1994:

My husband had something like that happen! A guy stopped him as he was going into a bbq joint and asked him for money to eat. My husband never carries cash, but bought the guy a sandwich. The guy looked my husband in the eye and threw the sandwich in the trash.

My husband is very wary about offering help now. I on the other hand and I giant sucker, lol.

Quoting Wendykay1:

Once when i had just finished shopping and was putting my groceries in my car a young woman came up to me with her daughter (im guessing around 4 / 5yrs old) and asked if I could give her a few bucks so she could give buy her daughter mcdonalds. I told her no but that I would be happy to purchase her some groceries at the store. I was struggling at the time but was willing to help her out.

The lady said fu I want the cash. I told her I couldn't help her out then. as they walked away the lady flipped me off and her daughter did the same.

I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RhondaVeggie
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM
25 moms liked this
Quoting doodlebut:

She was probably buying crap food cause that's all she could afford. I never knew that helping people came with stipulations based on your approval. Either help or don't, but leave your preferences out of it.

If she could afford chips, soda, and candy then she could afford real food. Junk flood is expensive, real food is cheap. For the price of one bag of chips she could make enough lentil and veggie soup to feed eight people.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM

next time follow through and help maybe thats all they could afford because fruits and veggies are more expensive

amber710
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM
7 moms liked this

So those children possibly went to bed without having eaten all day because their mother picked up chips instead of brocolli? Why didn't you offer her a couple bags of your healthy food and then go back and get more of the food you approved of. I mean, since you were willing to help and only hesitated because of their food choices...buy them something else.

lovingwifey
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM
8 moms liked this

When I was about 6  years old we were traveling.  My parents had picked us up McDs.  I saw a homeless person and made my parents pull over and give him my cheese burger.  My parents call me a softy. lol

Quoting iloveashton804:

Agreed. We were stopped at a light and there was a homeless man yesterday. I gave SO 5 dollars that I had in the van to give to him. He was so appreciative. I told SO I didn't care what he used the money for. He needed it more than we did. Once the money left our hands, it was no longer our concern what he spent it on.

Quoting doodlebut:

She was probably buying crap food cause that's all she could afford. I never knew that helping people came with stipulations based on your approval. Either help or don't, but leave your preferences out of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM

A few years ago where I live there was an old lady who was always begging for money, or change etc.  She went into the corner bodega and asked the owner for money because she was hungry.  He made her a sandwich and she walked out of the store and was trying to sell the sandwich so she could get cash.  I got beat up by my ex over a pack of cigarettes because he wanted $5 for what he said was for cigarettes.  I just went across the street and bought him a pack of cigs instead of giving him money.  I didn't know that he was smoking crack at that time but then eventually found out that was why he would go to such extremes about money etc.  I bet that woman who asked you for money for her daughter's McD's wasn't going to McD's but to the drug dealer, no doubt.

Have a nice night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN