Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Racism, SMH

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM
  • 24 Replies

I'm from the town where last Saturday a guy shot 6 people (killing three). It has been all over the news for days. Today I saw an article about it on yahoo and clicked on it. People were making racist comments. I know it should not bother me, but it did. All I keep thinking is how some day dd will face it. One day I will not be able to protect her from the evil people on this Earth. I wish, with all my heart, I could. What piss me off more is most of the people who are racist are never man/woman enough to say/show it to the people they are racist against. I have always been able to stand behind what I say and who I am 100%. I will never be a coward. We live in a sad world. I wonder if things will ever get better. From the looks of it, things seem to get worse as the years pass. Vent over, carry on ladies!!!

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Probably, but I have a story to tell in regards to racism.,.my husband is white and I am native American, and we were walking into the store and a drunk rude racist man was yelling at us and directing insults to my husband. My husband was livid but said karma will get him back, so we got our stuff and as we were walking out the racist man was being arrested and his car was being towed :-). Well played karma. Well played
jonellg
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

This is sort of off topic but have you seen the show Hardcore Pawn? I think it shows black people in the worst possible light.

Refurbished
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you have to deal with that.  My theory on racism is that people who are obnoxious are always the most visible.  So, if you don't know anyone of one particular race that's different from your own, you only really notice the obnoxious strangers in that particular race, and lump everyone of their race into a category based on that.  For example, the Chinese guy that cut you off, the Chinese woman who smacked her kid in Walmart.  You don't even notice the Chinese kid that rescued a kitten because human nature is to rubber-neck for the train wreck. 

There's good and bad in every race.  It isn't your race that determines your character.  I think we all need to make a decision to keep our focus on those among us who deserve our attention.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I am mixed and my family was the only black/mixed family in my small town. I dealt with racism quite a bit. All I can say is that while it is sad, as long as you are there to guide her and teach your daughter how to cope with people like this and stand tall and proud, she will be just fine. I have learned to pity racists and not take anything they say seriously, because who is living the sad, ignorant life consumed by hatred?.... Definitly not me, and letting them get to me, only gives them power. :)

T-HoneyLuv
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Am I also the only one who thinks that the family all needs asswhoopings?

Quoting jonellg:

This is sort of off topic but have you seen the show Hardcore Pawn? I think it shows black people in the worst possible light.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jonellg
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes yes they do. 

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

I agree. Am I also the only one who thinks that the family all needs asswhoopings?

Quoting jonellg:

singlemom1208
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM
I have no idea about the story you're talking about
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM

The best thing you can do is educate your dd about it.  Help her understand how wrong it is and how to deal with it. It is sad that in this day and age racism still exists. Sorry, I know that must be hard for you OP. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Yep, racism is alive and well!
PurplWildFlower
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Quoting jonellg:

Most reality TV shows people in the worst light, Italians, young white women, middle aged white, black and fat women, gay men, bald and rich men. WTF does that have to with the OP's post.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)