Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thought for those who think negatively about people on food stamps...

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM
  • 328 Replies
15 moms liked this
I volunteered this last christmas to feed and pass out clothes to the homeless. After dinner they got a goody bag with christmas cookies and treats, juice boxes, gloves, and socks and some other miscellaneous stuff. My kids enjoyed doing this and they loved the fact that they got christmas cookies in their bags and other treats.
So why if the homeless can have goodies do you think people on pa should not be able to get cookies and what not? My family was on pa and while most of our stuff was healthy my kids did get cookies and soda once in a while. What is so wrong with that? Everyone deserves a treat now and then don't you think?
Why pass judgement? Sometimes people need help and just because they are broke does not mean they should not get to enjoy some ice cream or cookies or what have you. It is already a burden to have to ask for help in the first place. I remember being embarrassed to have to go fill out the papers. The interviews were worse and I always felt like a piece of shit. I am thankfully no longer on pa and I am proud of that, but I find it ridiculous to be so judgmental.
Most of the homeless people I met were in the situation they were in because of drugs or physical ailments with a lack of a support system. So why bash people on pa for what they buy? Does it really matt? Does your kids like an occasional cookie or soda? Every kid I ever met does, so why deny children with poor parents that treat?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wymama610
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM
14 moms liked this

It is not the duty of the taxpayers to provide treats.  If someone cannot afford to feed their own kids, they should be grateful to get anything.  Food Stamps are supposed to be SUPPLIMENTAL, not the full source of food.  If someone on FS wants to buy crap, they can do it on their own dime. 

NoahandEliza
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM
6 moms liked this
I often wonder that, but just like any other question on here, no one ever answers why they can't mind their own business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SommerRayne06
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I understand what you are saying, I am a tax payer too, but sometimes the foot stamps is the only way they get food. I don't mind someone on pa buying their kids a treat.

Quoting wymama610:

It is not the duty of the taxpayers to provide treats.  If someone cannot afford to feed their own kids, they should be grateful to get anything.  Food Stamps are supposed to be SUPPLIMENTAL, not the full source of food.  If someone on FS wants to buy crap, they can do it on their own dime. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3kidz123
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting wymama610:

Thank god your opion doesn't matter! Buying all junk is a silly waste of a chance to afford the healthy stuff but it's not your choice to make! Can't take away free will no matter what the circumstances :)

3kidz123
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 3kidz123:

Quoting wymama610:

Thank god your opion doesn't matter! Buying all junk is a silly waste of a chance to afford the healthy stuff but it's not your choice to make! Can't take away free will no matter what the circumstances :)

and yes I can't spell :)

crissyd522
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM
20 moms liked this

I whole heartily agree with your post!! I am on PA and guess what I DO buy junk food on it!! But you know what I also buy fruits, vegs, eggs, cheese and meat. I also shop around so 1 shopping trip I might do the staples, I'll go to another store to buy fruits and vegs since the are a better price and I will also go to Target (since they are the best at taking coupons) to buy my kids their snacks.  No I am not proud to be on FS but right now is a rough time for my 3 kids and I. Yes I have a college degree and I do work but with out FS my kids wld not be able to eat 3 meals a day and I do make sure they eat healthy but I will not deny them snacks b/c it's not their fault. I make sure I try to stretch by clipping coupons and looking for sales. BUT the people who don't think my kids deserve snacks I say kiss my A$$!! I worked really hard all my life and I still do work but need a little help and I tell my kids no most of the time but they also deserve treats!!

wymama610
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM
12 moms liked this

If someone can't afford one penny more than what they are allotted per month on FS, then hell no they shouldn't be buying treats.  There are many, many kids all over the world who will never know what a hershey bar or a coke taste like.  The problem is here in America, people have an entitlement attitude.  They think they deserve those treats.  Where exactly is the line drawn?  First it was food stamps, then it was land line phones, then it was cell phones....... now certain government reps want to give "poor" people free internet.  Where is the incentive to improve yourself?  If you think your (general your) kid deserves a treat, save your own money and buy them one!  No one is owed anything in this world. 

Quoting SommerRayne06:

I understand what you are saying, I am a tax payer too, but sometimes the foot stamps is the only way they get food. I don't mind someone on pa buying their kids a treat.

Quoting wymama610:

tennisgal
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM
4 moms liked this

I am NOT against helping people. My conflict is WHO should be helping people. I absolutely disagree with the government footing YOUR grocery bill for YOUR family paid for by other working taxpayers. However, I support INDEPENEDENT organizations helping out. I support those through church donations, volunteer work and donating to another food kitchen/food pantry independent of a church.

In our house cookies, coke, ice cream, all of that is a treat that my boys (and husband) don't get if it's not in the budget. So please do NOT whine about people DESERVING coke, cookies, etc just b/c they are poor. That's ridiculous. How about we put the absurd program to good use, in a sense like WIC and not allow people to buy the crap with it. Maybe it will help Medicare costs as well (yes, that is a bit of sarcasm). 

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting wymama610:

This. I don't support bad habits.
wymama610
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 3kidz123:

Quoting 3kidz123:

Quoting wymama610:

and yes I can't spell :)

LOL at the preemptive spelling defense.  I wasn't going to rip you on your spelling :)

My point is that it shouldn't be their choice to make.  Food Stamps are I guess a necessary evil.  HOWEVER, that doesn't mean they should have free will to buy whatever the fuck they want.  Personally, I wish they would run the food stamp program more like WIC.  Give checks for certain necessary, staple items.  That's it.  If someone wants to buy their kids crap, let them do it on their own dime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN