Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just can't get excited about having another boy

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM
  • 215 Replies
1 mom liked this

We found out about 3 weeks ago that we are having a third boy and everyone, including my two older boys who are 5 and 9, is totally bummed about it.  

My husband, who wasn't particularly thrilled about the pregnancy, has stopped mentioning the baby altogether and no one wants to even consider talking about names.  If I say something they're like, let's talk about it later.  

This week, the boys are spending the week at my mom's house (as they do every summer) so I was doing my annual "clean up" of their room and the playroom and I put a whole bunch of "baby" toys and books in the room that will become the baby's room. So my husband and I were in the room sorting things out and we couldn't even decide on a color or a theme for the nursery - not because we had too many "good" ideas -- but because we just didn't even want to think about it.

Has anyone else felt this way?  How did you snap out of it? I feel so guilty for thinking and acting the way we've been acting. 

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLub
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM
11 moms liked this
Fake it till you make it. Look through boys rooms on pinterest. Find some cool interesting design like a jungle theme. Something that seems fun to try. Start shopping for clothes that are a different style than your other boys. Maybe you don't feel like doing these things but do it anyway until you start getting excited. Pick a night in the week where everyone sits around with baby books and paper to decide baby names. Include everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColeAreeaJet
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Hmmmm never though of using pinterest...  my DH wants to ask my MIL to come decorate the nursery but she won't come down until at least October (we live in Arizona -- too hot for her over the summer) - baby is due in November.  I'm not keen on the idea -- maybe if I come up with something on my own he'll let me do it earlier.

Quoting MamaLub:

Fake it till you make it. Look through boys rooms on pinterest. Find some cool interesting design like a jungle theme. Something that seems fun to try. Start shopping for clothes that are a different style than your other boys. Maybe you don't feel like doing these things but do it anyway until you start getting excited. Pick a night in the week where everyone sits around with baby books and paper to decide baby names. Include everyone.

saltyalley1227
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM
9 moms liked this
I'm sorry hon! Gender disappointment is pretty common. Is this going to be your final baby? Once that beautiful little man makes his appearance you will forget all about it and fall in love all over again like you did with the first two. ((hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaLub
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM
There's lots of themes all over the internet. It may help you get truly excited and it will start getting the family used to the idea that their new brother will be here soon. I have two girls and one boy. I'm about to have my second boy and while I hoped for a girl. I too am trying to get used to the idea of a second boy

Quoting ColeAreeaJet:

Hmmmm never though of using pinterest...  my DH wants to ask my MIL to come decorate the nursery but she won't come down until at least October (we live in Arizona -- too hot for her over the summer) - baby is due in November.  I'm not keen on the idea -- maybe if I come up with something on my own he'll let me do it earlier.

Quoting MamaLub:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColeAreeaJet
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Yes, this one is our last one.  I've loved him since the day I found out I was pregnant -- I'm just disappointed I won't ever get to braid hair or go shopping or buy those frilly cute girl clothes. 

Quoting saltyalley1227:

I'm sorry hon! Gender disappointment is pretty common. Is this going to be your final baby? Once that beautiful little man makes his appearance you will forget all about it and fall in love all over again like you did with the first two. ((hugs))

mommaofemma
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM
3 moms liked this

I really dont get this...why be bummed! You dont have to worry about your sons getting pregnant (yes they can get girls pregnant but still) you dont have to shell out hundreds of dollars for dances, proms ect.. boys in general i hear are cheaper. We are expecting our 3rd GIRL. When we found out I was dissapointed but we are done and I am not upset or happy I am just happy we are having a baby!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh wow... that is so sad. Poor baby.

You guys suck. Get therapy.

heyma4
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you feel that way. I feel every child is a blessing, no matter what the gender. I can't relate to how you feel, so I have no suggestions on how to get passed it. I just feel bad for you, and more so your future son who is coming into this world. He deserves to be loved and wanted no matter what he is, I am NOT saying you don't or won't so please don't take it that way. It's just sad. Hopefully, when he is here you will find that joy. Good luck!

mommaofemma
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Trust me its a pain in the ass getting girls ready..takes WAYYY longer. All you gotta do with boys is pick out some shorts and a t shirt and done.

Quoting ColeAreeaJet:

Yes, this one is our last one.  I've loved him since the day I found out I was pregnant -- I'm just disappointed I won't ever get to braid hair or go shopping or buy those frilly cute girl clothes. 

Quoting saltyalley1227:

MommaLis5
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Did you just find out?  I know I was sick of pink.  I have 5 girls and a step daughter.  You will eventually snap out of it.  It took me a while to give up the hope the doctors were wrong.  But after you meet the new little one you'll be fine :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)