Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think attachment parenting is pretty creepy

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
It's just TOO much.

I mean, don't get me wrong, all kids should be loved and shown affection, but this whole "attachment parenting" seems to be a little twisted to me. These women have got to have some sort of issues somewhere with affection. To have to go THAT far to ensure your kid is loved. Or are you trying to find ways to avoid spending intimate time with ur SO?

And if you are going to practice this, I hope dearly that you don't have a son! There's nothing more irritating to me than a mommys boy who was obviously coddled way too much. I like my men to be MEN so most women do. As time goes by, these boys are more and more wimpy.

If your child can drink from a cup and eat the same dinner as you, why is he still on breast milk? Would you judge me if you saw my 4,5,6 yr old in public with a bottle full of formula?

We aren't kangaroos, let them be independent!
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
areyouatroll
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:09 AM
3 moms liked this
So because formula is inferior to breast milk, so is the mom?

Quoting white_wolf454:

I cant Brest feed and I dont got the Money for a wet nurse . I suppose that makes me an inferior mommy huh 

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Formula from a bottle is inferior to breast milk from the breast and canny be compared to each other. So creepy to raise children the way nature intended. *rolls eyes*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:10 AM

What is attachment parenting?

VannaMae307
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't know enough about attachment parenting. I do know that I have a mama's boy, I hope it stays that way but I doubt it :-P

What have you heard about AP? It may just be a misconception? Unless you witnessed something weird?

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:12 AM
10 moms liked this

Sorry that you are misinformed but,my children were all raised with what is called attachment parenting and they are all very self assured and independent. They also know without a doubt that they are loved beyond measure and can come to me with whatever is going on. Oh,and I get hugs,kisses and blessings from everyone of those who are still at home every night and from one of my older girls who is married when I give her a ride home from work a couple times a week.

areyouatroll
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:12 AM
4 moms liked this
Attachment Parenting: What's the Deal? Posted by Suzanne Murray on Aug 14, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Take this short quiz: Mom A breastfeeds, babywears, and co-sleeps. Mom B bottle-feeds, uses a stroller, and a crib. Which mom do you think is practicing Attachment Parenting?

The answer: It could be both of them or neither of them. Or yes, just one of them (but not the one you might think).

According to catholicmamamia's lovely and informative journal post Explaining Attachment Parenting (she's a professional AP Instructor),"It is a common misconception that attachment parenting consists solely of breastfeeding, babywearing, and a crib.

Attachment Parenting is not parenting method, it is not new, and it was not created by some doctor or a team of professionals. AP is a term lent to the style of parenting that was originally and instinctively practiced before the so-called professionals stepped in and began convincing parents to not trust their instincts or follow their hearts.

Think of a mom who is disconnected from her child. She breastfeeds and baby reaps nutritional and immunological benefits, but she does not stroke baby's skin or talk sweetly. She may use a sling but only because it makes doing what she wants easier. She may co-sleep, but only because she can get more sleep and does not snuggle baby at all. She does not put her heart into mothering.

Now think of a different mom, one whose health limits her mothering practices. She cannot breastfeed, so she is resigned to bottle-feed. She cannot wear her baby, so she uses a stroller. She cannot co-sleep, so she keeps a crib in her room. Her mothering practices do not include nursing, slings, and family bed. Yet this mother loves and adores her baby and spends every moment possible playing, reading, snuggling with her child. she anticipates her child's needs, both physical and emotional, and meets them to the best of her ability. Her body has 'failed' her, but she will not fail her child. She is a loving and devoted mom.

The ultimate goal of Attachment Parenting is to parent instinctively and gently in a manner that helps form stronger parent-child connections, allowing parents to raise children who are strong, intelligent, and compassionate."

Quoting Sunshine257:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelseyciarah
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:14 AM
25 moms liked this

You OBVIOUSLY have no idea what attachment parenting REALLY is.

It is so much more than breastfeeding.

And in comparison, if you give your 4,5,6,7 year old pediasure or whatever, its essentially the same idea as formula.

Furthermore, breastmilk is good for you no matter how old you are.... Why does the majority of the general public drink milk from a COW'S BREAST? Nutritional value.

I sometimes express breastmilk in a cup and give it to my 20 month old son when he is sick, its wonderful for him. And if I he hadnt self weaned at a year old, I would still give it to him straight from the tap!

Educate yourself, seriously, you will learn a lot.

proprolife.gif picture by piink-lem0nade

Happily married Mama to one angelbaby, a son born 10-19-10, and a daughter born 3-20-12

white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:20 AM

well if you cant do what you were made to do dont that mean something is wrong with you and your inferior to a mom who can give what is needed to the baby?

Quoting areyouatroll:

So because formula is inferior to breast milk, so is the mom?

Quoting white_wolf454:

I cant Brest feed and I dont got the Money for a wet nurse . I suppose that makes me an inferior mommy huh 

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Formula from a bottle is inferior to breast milk from the breast and canny be compared to each other. So creepy to raise children the way nature intended. *rolls eyes*

iluv2meow
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:21 AM
13 moms liked this

I am with you OP because I think the parents that are trying to practice the "attachment parenting" tend to take it a little too far. I know of several people (my own mother/brother, aunt/cousin, friends/sons) where the moms (my mom, aunt, & friends) supposedly doing this "attachment parenting" only they over do it so much that now these sons are unmarried, living at home with momma, a few dropped out of high school, my brother has never finished college and they are in their early to late 30s.

Nothing is more disgusting seeing momma and grown son living together like husband and wife.

Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:23 AM
2 moms liked this

That doesn't sound too bad?

Quoting areyouatroll:

Attachment Parenting: What's the Deal? Posted by Suzanne Murray on Aug 14, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Take this short quiz: Mom A breastfeeds, babywears, and co-sleeps. Mom B bottle-feeds, uses a stroller, and a crib. Which mom do you think is practicing Attachment Parenting?

The answer: It could be both of them or neither of them. Or yes, just one of them (but not the one you might think).

According to catholicmamamia's lovely and informative journal post Explaining Attachment Parenting (she's a professional AP Instructor),"It is a common misconception that attachment parenting consists solely of breastfeeding, babywearing, and a crib.

Attachment Parenting is not parenting method, it is not new, and it was not created by some doctor or a team of professionals. AP is a term lent to the style of parenting that was originally and instinctively practiced before the so-called professionals stepped in and began convincing parents to not trust their instincts or follow their hearts.

Think of a mom who is disconnected from her child. She breastfeeds and baby reaps nutritional and immunological benefits, but she does not stroke baby's skin or talk sweetly. She may use a sling but only because it makes doing what she wants easier. She may co-sleep, but only because she can get more sleep and does not snuggle baby at all. She does not put her heart into mothering.

Now think of a different mom, one whose health limits her mothering practices. She cannot breastfeed, so she is resigned to bottle-feed. She cannot wear her baby, so she uses a stroller. She cannot co-sleep, so she keeps a crib in her room. Her mothering practices do not include nursing, slings, and family bed. Yet this mother loves and adores her baby and spends every moment possible playing, reading, snuggling with her child. she anticipates her child's needs, both physical and emotional, and meets them to the best of her ability. Her body has 'failed' her, but she will not fail her child. She is a loving and devoted mom.

The ultimate goal of Attachment Parenting is to parent instinctively and gently in a manner that helps form stronger parent-child connections, allowing parents to raise children who are strong, intelligent, and compassionate."

Quoting Sunshine257:

VannaMae307
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:24 AM
16 moms liked this

That was a very clear explanation, thank you

Whoohoo I am practicing AP and I didnt even know it!

Quoting areyouatroll:

Quoting Sunshine257:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)