Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So you think that an embryo is not a baby? (I did not write, written by a teen.)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1034 Replies
73 moms liked this

I didn't write this but I couldn't agree more with the young mind who did.

So you think that an embryo is not a baby? When is it a baby, then? Actually, in my human development textbook, an unborn baby is never called a baby -- he's called an embryo, then a fetus, all the way until he is born. But just because we call him embryo or fetus doesn't make him not a baby -- those terms are just referring to his preborn development.

Abortion is not about choosing whether or not a woman wants to be a mother -- she already IS a mother! So what if most abortions are done in the first trimester? Within the first eight weeks, a baby already has developed a heart, brain, legs, toes, and all his organs. Not only that, but his DNA is different from his mother's DNA, so he is a separate, living entity different from his mother -- a real human being. Are you saying that a human being only becomes human after passing a development marker, say second trimester? That seems mighty arbitrary -- maybe babies aren't human until two years old? How do you draw the line? It is much simpler and accurate to see that conception is the moment when a human being begins, because a unique DNA has been created. Everything else that happens are just moments during development.

And you can't say that it's just a personal choice -- if that baby in the womb is a person, then killing it is murder. And a murder done inside the privacy of the operating room is not just personal business -- it is a crime no matter where it's done. Stopping the life of a human being is never a personal decision -- and I say this as a teenage woman, too. If abortion is my right, then I am ashamed to be a woman. The vast majority of abortions are done because a woman just doesn't want to be bothered in her career or college, or doesn't have the support of her family. I do not think that inconveniences like these should be of greater importance than the life of a child.

These are not religious views -- even atheists say that murder is wrong. If a baby in the womb is a person, then killing him is murder, plain and simple. If he is not a person, then nothing is wrong. Religion isn't related, and so I wish that you would stop mischaracterizing the other side.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mr.scariesmommy
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Yeah it is really something to think about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:30 PM
59 moms liked this

Doesn't change my point of view. A fetus is a parasite. And the mother is the person who is alive and with full rights. Giving something that can't communicate in any fashion rights is a dangerous road, especially when those rights would overrule the rights of a real person.

MomRocs1102
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM
11 moms liked this
Pro choice regardless
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillianmayasmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM
16 moms liked this
She is ashamed to be a woman because she has the right of choice? Wow, just wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM
72 moms liked this

I never understood that point of view. a one week old newborn can't communicate his or her rights either, they dont speak til about a year old and even then they don't speak full sentences. So what's the difference? That argument means nothing to me. 

Quoting purpleducky:

Doesn't change my point of view. A fetus is a parasite. And the mother is the person who is alive and with full rights. Giving something that can't communicate in any fashion rights is a dangerous road, especially when those rights would overrule the rights of a real person.

KitT.Kat
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM
37 moms liked this

I can't bring myself to give a shit about what some teenage child thinks.

Sorry.

-KC-
by Honesty on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM
5 moms liked this
Im pro-choice but I see her point of view.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SourRoses
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM
14 moms liked this

there is never going to be a right or wrong view in the matter of abortion; I think women should respect other women and what they believe in their own personal right. what is right or wrong in my eyes is not the same in another, but we are all the same, we are all women who can choose what is wrong and right within our OWN bodies. Take responibility for your own mind and dont push judgments on another.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM
13 moms liked this
Quoting purpleducky:

Considering you wish and think you're a man why do you even give a fuck about a WOMANS concerns?
-KC-
by Honesty on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM
56 moms liked this
She sounds smarter than half of the "grown" women on CM "/

Quoting KitT.Kat:

I can't bring myself to give a shit about what some teenage child thinks.

Sorry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)