Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Car flipped over - what should I have done?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies
1 mom liked this
My dd and I were driving to the mall when we saw a car fly into the air and flip over! The speed limit on this road is 35mph! I pulled over and ran over to the car while my dd (6) stayed in our truck in her car seat. The woman had head trauma and was very confused and bleeding from her head. I got a blanket out of her car (lost my flip flops running over there so I had to walk barefoot in broken glass) and made her hold it to her head as I didn't have gloves and didn't want to touch her blood. Cops showed up within a couple minutes so I quietly left the scene. I'm a nurse and never tell anyone. They never taught me roadside emergency skills in nursing school. I just know to put pressure on it and do CPR if needed. What should I have done?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
safi
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM
7 moms liked this

yikes. well, id say call the cops. but sounds like they already came . what more can u really do? if you tried to help they could actually sue you

eta, if that happened on CM you could always run up to  her and start yelling at what a fucking piece of shit she was for [being so careless/stupid, for endangering the lives of others, etc]

nazgor
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
you did what you could IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Sounds like you did a good job but I would have waited for ems to arrive before leaving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I think you did exactly what i would have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I don't think you could have done more for her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I walked back to my truck when police arrived but ems was there when I left.

Quoting MommyLehr:

Sounds like you did a good job but I would have waited for ems to arrive before leaving.

ack86
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I think the only other thing I would have done is tell the cops anything I saw. Other than that, I don't think there really was much more at that point that you could have done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Well then that's what I would have done!

Quoting Anonymous:

I walked back to my truck when police arrived but ems was there when I left.

Quoting MommyLehr:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM
You did more than what others would have! You did what you could and I think it was pretty amazing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
First_One_8_18
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM

You should have sat behind her and immobilized her head and talked to her to keep her calm. This is exactly why I keep a CPR kit on my keychain with gloves and a mask and a full on first aid kit in my car with quik clot n the whole 9.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)