Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

vulva, vulva, vulva ... why do people avoid this word?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM
  • 118 Replies
1 mom liked this
My sons refer to their penis as a penis. Some people don't like it, but it's not that big of a deal.

When my daughter was a preschooler and she used the word vulva you could practically hear people cringe.

I still hear women teaching their daughters incorrect language for their body parts. Why would a parent do this? It's not their vagina!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xomrs.chase
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Lol bump ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM
3 moms liked this
Why does it make a difference? If you're teaching your kid the proper terms, don't stress yourself on what others are doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Because growing up, most people are taught to call it their vagina... a penis has different parts too.  Whats the big deal?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
RhondaVeggie
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM
14 moms liked this
I taught my son to say vulva. When he said something about my penis I said "no babe, boys have penises and girls have vulvas" he just looked very confused and said "but daddy has a vulva.". No honey, daddy has a Volvo, not a vulva.
krayzbabylove
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM
This.

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Because growing up, most people are taught to call it their vagina... a penis has different parts too.  Whats the big deal?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM
9 moms liked this
Probably because it's a lot easier to say vagina. Who's gonna go around saying that they fell off their bike onto the bar underneath the seat and now their labia majora hurts? Or that they were shaving their labia majora and accidentally cut their labia minora? Lol. I have an appointment tomorrow to have my vulva waxed. I'll make sure I say it that way from now on. Lolololol
TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I don't know why, but I wish people would get over it.  I hate calling vulva "vagina" simply because it is more accepted, not because it is anatomically correct.  

If I have a daughter, she will know that the parts she can see are her "vulva", not her "vagina".

talktojonell
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM
I don't understand why we would want to teach the next generation the same level of shame, embarrassment and ignorance.

Why perpetuate it?

Quoting krayzbabylove:

This.

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the word vulva is much prettier anyway. It sounds like it could be the name of a flower...lol.

specialwingz
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM
6 moms liked this

Well, if you're gonna go with technicalities...let's pick this gnat's ass and teach it to the kids the right way.

The vulva has many major and minor anatomical structures, including the labia majora, mons pubis, labia minora, clitoris, bulb of vestibule, vulval vestibule, greater and lesser vestibular glands, and the opening of the vagina.

GEEZ!  Some people!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN