Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

vulva, vulva, vulva ... why do people avoid this word?

Posted by   + Show Post
My sons refer to their penis as a penis. Some people don't like it, but it's not that big of a deal.

When my daughter was a preschooler and she used the word vulva you could practically hear people cringe.

I still hear women teaching their daughters incorrect language for their body parts. Why would a parent do this? It's not their vagina!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
PortiaRose
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Cuz it sounds ugly. I personally don't enjoy saying the world. It sounds like I'm drunk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chloesmommy777
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My friend and former boss, Don, who is gay, won a Volvo from a raffle at the cancer ward at the hospital where he was receiving follow-up care for his cured cancer. (long story: his other vehicle caught fire--due to a mismanaged oil-change-- as he was driving to the airport to be by his elderly mother who was in the last stages of cancer...)  Anyway, later, one day, when we were on break, I asked him, "So, Don, how's your vulva?" (we can joke like this...) He looked at me a few seconds and retorted, "I don't have a vulva, I have a penis." I said, "I know, I just like to call Volvos vulvas..." "Oh, I see, she runs like a dream, thank you." lol... O_o 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Exactly!! Or their nose their nostrils or their ass their anus!!

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I'm confused by some of the replies. How is calling it a vulva meaning getting super technical?

Look at it this way. I have a MOUTH (vulva). In my mouth there are different parts. Teeth, lips, tongue, uvula, throat. No one calls their entire mouth a throat, lol.

mamagreen08
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM
I have to agree. We educate our children about the correct medical terminology. Most of my family is in the medical field. However, he can refer to his whole penis as a penis - just like he knows where his phalanges are but calls them fingers/toes.
Quoting HotMichMomma:

Penis is An all inclusive term just like vagina, no biggie. My kids will know the correct terms just because I want them to have a wealth of knowledge.

My 4 year old can tell you where his cranium, patella, and spine are
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talktojonell
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM
See for me it is the opposite.

Euphemisms and an inability to utter the word at all (oh the horror) that I get.

It's the brass tack bit. Vulva is more appropriate than vagina. I can get avoiding the word. I guess what drives me nuts are all the women who teach it to their daughters.

Keep in mind that there was a time when women barely had a vocabulary to discuss this topic and how far we've come in a 100 years.

Quoting Shaylyn318:

Well you have a point but at least the people calling it a vagina is a hundred times better than va jay jay(I want to slap Oprah for that term) or cookie or flower or whatever else it has been called. LOL.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

In general it is a vagina and I don't see the big deal in calling it that. They can learn the names of each part when they are older. I think the word vulva is just a gross sounding word and I don't go around saying it, and don't want my daughter going around saying it.

ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Its like calling my hand fingers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly!! Or their nose their nostrils or their ass their anus!!

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I'm confused by some of the replies. How is calling it a vulva meaning getting super technical?

Look at it this way. I have a MOUTH (vulva). In my mouth there are different parts. Teeth, lips, tongue, uvula, throat. No one calls their entire mouth a throat, lol.

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Kinda reminds me of a Pokemon

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I think the word vulva is much prettier anyway. It sounds like it could be the name of a flower...lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Because growing up, most people are taught to call it their vagina... a penis has different parts too.  Whats the big deal?

HollyBoBolly
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Oprah didn't make up that term or start the trend, Grey's Anatomy's Bailey did and after that Oprah had Shonda Rhimes on the show and has been saying ever since.

Quoting Shaylyn318:

Well you have a point but at least the people calling it a vagina is a hundred times better than va jay jay(I want to slap Oprah for that term) or cookie or flower or whatever else it has been called. LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN