Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't buy it when a SAHM says her family can't afford for her to work *clarification*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1070 Replies
33 moms liked this

If your family can't afford for you to work, how in the heck can a single mom afford to do it? I find it hilarious that some of the same women claiming that they can't work are the ones criticizing those on PA. If something happens to your little slice of heaven and you end up a single mom, what are you going to do? Since supposedly you can't afford to work when you have someone else supplying money for housing, food, and etc., how could you do it without them?

My point in posting this was that a lot of the people who are criticizing people on PA are SAHMs. How in the world can a single mom do it by herself without PA? I am not bashing SAHMs, but I think it's a bit hypocritical that these same women don't work themselves.

I have been a SAHM, I have been a single (widowed) mom, I have also been the sole provider for my family and part of a two income family. I honestly have to say it was easier to provide for my family on two incomes. I am not bitter or jealous of anyone. I just question why it is that so many SAHMs are rude or judgmental towards those on PA. In my opinion it is a case of  "There but for the grace of God go I."

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beenhereforever
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM
150 moms liked this

Minimum wage doesn't pay for daycare.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM
27 moms liked this

Y u mad

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM
4 moms liked this

So how is a single mom supposed to do it?

Quoting purpleducky:

Minimum wage doesn't pay for daycare.

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM
17 moms liked this
When daycare takes up the entire paycheck or more...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM
90 moms liked this
LOL ok. I've been in both situations and all I can say is that when someone rips the floatie out from under you, you learn how to swim real fast. That doesn't mean I could actually afford it when I was married. It means I learned to swim with 50 lbs strapped to my back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
0Kit0
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM
3 moms liked this
Then, don't. I doubt there is a gun to your head.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM
50 moms liked this
Its called life insurance. If my DH were to pass id get 350 K Which would pay off our mortgage and car and leave a good chunk in the bank. Without those expenses I would be in a better position to find a job and afford daycare. As it is now id be working JUST to pay daycare tuition. What's the point of that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM
7 moms liked this
I'm pretty sure sure what most mean is that their family can't afford for them to work and keep the lifestyle the family is accustomed to. We homeschool so if I worked I would have to hire someone to teach our son or put him back in school. We don't want the latter and the former is illegal in our state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM
19 moms liked this
The state has programs to help with daycare, but your income has to be pretty low for it to be applicable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)