Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone think about the expenses that come with children?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have  been reading a lot of posts.No  includes childcare in their equation when thinking about having kids??For pete sake  people spend more  time  on choosing a dog then planning for a baby.FFS

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Replies (21-30):
MdMom289
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Yes, we've definitely thought about it. That's why we are putting our dream of expanding our family until we have two goals completed. It might take a year to two years. We're grown adults and can be patient.

weirdkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids weren't exactly planned but they taught me a very humbling lesson. Children can be very happy with very little. We don't have a lot. The kids know we can't afford a lot either but for some reason they are OK with it. They are very happy, well rounded children. In the summer there are a lot of free stuff around here. There is a pool up the street that they love, spray Parks everywhere, free events ect. We make due and they are some of the happiest most well behaved kids in town. I'm thankful for that. My childhood was miserable and my parents weren't broke.(they are now but its their own fault)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Quoting bmw29:

Child care was and is a non issue for us. I stay home and we also have these things called grandparents. They seem to be a dying breed in todays world. Grandparents that are happy, ready and willing to watch their grandchildren for free anytime.

I'm a lot older than all of you, and when I was growing up my grandmother worked.  When my kids were little, my mother worked.  When my brother had his kids, my mom was too old to be watching them all the time.

Luna091306
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I am well aware of the expenses kids come with which is why I thought I was done after my dd. I was not planning for this little surprise due in a few days. But, eh we are making it work.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Just curious but what makes you assume you're older than ALL of us? Why do you assume your parents or grandparents were older than everyone's when your children were young? I'm not saying I'm older or that my parents or grandparents were because I have no idea about any of that. I would guess based on odds that my grandparents were older though.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting bmw29:

Child care was and is a non issue for us. I stay home and we also have these things called grandparents. They seem to be a dying breed in todays world. Grandparents that are happy, ready and willing to watch their grandchildren for free anytime.

I'm a lot older than all of you, and when I was growing up my grandmother worked.  When my kids were little, my mother worked.  When my brother had his kids, my mom was too old to be watching them all the time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EBee12
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I figured out child care before getting pg.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Quoting bmw29:

Just curious but what makes you assume you're older than ALL of us? Why do you assume your parents or grandparents were older than everyone's when your children were young? I'm not saying I'm older or that my parents or grandparents were because I have no idea about any of that. I would guess based on odds that my grandparents were older though.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting bmw29:

Just a guess.  I'm 56.  My mom is 25 years older than me, my dad 30 years older than me.

My grandmother worked until I was an adult.  When my son was born, my mom was 50, and was working full time.  When I had my last one (13 years after that), my mom was still working, then we moved away.  She (and my brother) moved to Las Vegas.  My brother didn't have kids until he was 40 - which made my mom 73.  She wasn't up to it.

LilynAustin
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I always knew I would be a SAHM, at least until the kids were old enough to go to school.  That was factored in.  We make plenty of money, but some times we struggle, like most people at some point in life.  We have never been completely without.  Some times the food supplies get low, but there's always beans and rice!!

I think everyone runs into a financial rut.  I also think that we can't always plan for the future, and unexpected things to come up.  I think the sign of a good parent is someone who despite the difficulties they face make life fun and exciting for their kids, and don't let those difficulties affect their children's innocense.

All the planning in the world can't prepare you for the unexpected.  It can help you find a way out of the unexpected, but in the end we just have to be thrifty, and do the best we can, right?  I love my kids, and I am willing to bet they will not forget the times we couldn't afford that toy, or to go to McDonalds to get ice cream.  What they will remember is home made play dough, finger painting, and making home made bread.  :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Yep. Reason I want.to.get my tubes tied after this baby (my 2nd) LOL

I asked my bro who has 5 kids. How are you going to help pay for drivers ed, licensing, cars, clothing and food for "high schoolers" LOL

I think far in advance. I'd at least would love to assistance my children in their teenage years for their 1st cars, and provide things most teens want. I was once a teen and remembered why a lot of kids got made fun of.

Also if an emergency comes where the kids need braces, all those things. More expensive as middle schoolers.and.teens
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Dh and I are only 32 but my parents were 34 (M) and 38 (D) when I was born and his parents were 39 (M) and 36 (D) when he was born. My grandfather was 56 when my mother was born. LOL Dh's parents both retired by the time ds was 1 and mine soon after. Our living grandparents are both in their late 90's. Dh's grandmother is old and blind and could still watch ds in a pinch. She's 100% capable. My grandmother not so much. My grandfather babysat me until he was 96 years old. I still think the cookie baking, baby-sitter type grandparent is something that isn't as common anymore. I never said that all grandparents used to be that way but more actually were.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting bmw29:

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting bmw29:

Just a guess.  I'm 56.  My mom is 25 years older than me, my dad 30 years older than me.

My grandmother worked until I was an adult.  When my son was born, my mom was 50, and was working full time.  When I had my last one (13 years after that), my mom was still working, then we moved away.  She (and my brother) moved to Las Vegas.  My brother didn't have kids until he was 40 - which made my mom 73.  She wasn't up to it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)