Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I saw the school supply list vent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 320 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think schools should have to tell parents if the supplies they are buying are actually for other students? like parents buying 8 folders for their kid and 4 go to another student.

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 300

View Results

Now before I start I want to say that I know there is nothing I can do about this. I saw the school supply list and I noticed they the amount of things they were asking for seemed off to me. They have things on the list like 2 pairs of scissors and 10 boxes of crayons and 8 folders. what seemed even odder is they said not to label them. I mentioned this to my aunt who is a teacher at the school and she said, oh yeah, they do that because there are kids who's parents don't send in supplies (even though right before school starts, there are at least 50 places you can go to get free supplies). So they put all the supplies that are brought in and everyone shares them. I don't mind my DD sharing the crayons and things like that so the fact that they get all put together is fine but when I am told to buy extra folders and things that are going to go directly to another student, that kind of bothers me. I think they should tell you what YOUR child needs and then ask for additional items for other students. They way they are doing it, it seems like it is all going to your child so I feel like they are trying to trick parents into buying for other kids. Now let me say that if the did ask for what my child needs and asked for additional supplies for other children, I would have no problem donating at my discretion but I think they should have to make it clear what is going to your child and what is going to another child. The way they are doing it seems a little deceitful

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vgmomof2grtkds
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM
5 moms liked this
I think that the teacher should notify the parents if the kids will be expected to buy communal school supplies out of courtesy.
StrongerAlone
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:23 PM
5 moms liked this
Damn it started early! Lol, this topic gets beaten at back to school time. I personally don't mind one bit. It's honestly not costing me much more, seeing as how folders are like $0.25 each.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caroline2010
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

i agree! most parents r on a tight buget! id get what my child needs and then supply extra after school starts when it all goes on sale!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM
4 moms liked this
I agree, because I have a hard time trying to afford EVERYTHING on the list, plus school clothes, shoes etc. I think if they would say, please try to also get these other supplies, it would be much better.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM
11 moms liked this

oh for fuck's sake....every single year people freak out about school supplies on this site!  so from now until september all we will hear about is people whining about having to buy crayons.....get a life people!!!

dyke_127
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM
School starts in a month here. I think its bs to have to buy for the class whith out being told. I never go of the lists. When I buy my nieces supplies I buy what she will need and thats it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM
12 moms liked this

I would buy only what my child needs and label his things. Buying for other children should be an option not a requirement.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I can't wait to buy supplies this year, I will also buy extra for the class. It's not like it costs a lot of money anyways.
kyuteangl88
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Uh yeah, I buy for my kids and my kids only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:29 PM
3 moms liked this
I think so. Ds will be in kinder this year and his (public) school has uniforms that I have to buy as well. I cant afford to buy for every kid in the class too. And maybe if all that was required was just for each individual child parents would stop thinking "its ok someone else will get it for me"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)