Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I saw the school supply list vent

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think schools should have to tell parents if the supplies they are buying are actually for other students? like parents buying 8 folders for their kid and 4 go to another student.

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 300

View Results

Now before I start I want to say that I know there is nothing I can do about this. I saw the school supply list and I noticed they the amount of things they were asking for seemed off to me. They have things on the list like 2 pairs of scissors and 10 boxes of crayons and 8 folders. what seemed even odder is they said not to label them. I mentioned this to my aunt who is a teacher at the school and she said, oh yeah, they do that because there are kids who's parents don't send in supplies (even though right before school starts, there are at least 50 places you can go to get free supplies). So they put all the supplies that are brought in and everyone shares them. I don't mind my DD sharing the crayons and things like that so the fact that they get all put together is fine but when I am told to buy extra folders and things that are going to go directly to another student, that kind of bothers me. I think they should tell you what YOUR child needs and then ask for additional items for other students. They way they are doing it, it seems like it is all going to your child so I feel like they are trying to trick parents into buying for other kids. Now let me say that if the did ask for what my child needs and asked for additional supplies for other children, I would have no problem donating at my discretion but I think they should have to make it clear what is going to your child and what is going to another child. The way they are doing it seems a little deceitful

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Replies (311-320):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Quoting iansusie:

You are complaining about buying 8 folders, 10 boxes of crayons and 2 pairs of scissors (if you shop sales you will spend less than $75 on the supplies)...  I paid $190 supply fee for my child going into Kindergarten in a Public Charter School... the other kid is in a private school and the supply list might be $50, if I don´t catch the sales!

$75 for that? NO WAY!!

8 folders at staples right now - 1.60

scissors - probbably 2 bucks a a pair $4

crayons - $.50 a box where I saw them - $5

Probably $11-$12 with tax.

Where do you shop???

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I hope this school does not do that. I have triplets all going into the same class. I already have to buy supplies for three kids in the class I should not have to supply enough for half the class. I don't mind sending in a few extras to help, but having to pay for 6 instead of 3 is to much.

ARmomOf3
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Public schools are experts at deceit.

nickysmom71
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Yes, they should notify the parents.....absolutely.

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

oh for fuck's sake....every single year people freak out about school supplies on this site!  so from now until september all we will hear about is people whining about having to buy crayons.....get a life people!!!

this...if you people are so strapped for cash stop waiting till the last minute to buy supplies, stores carry crayons, pencils and markers year round. duh...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM

From what I can tell, my school just does what the kids need.  After school starts, they ask for volunteers for extra supplies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM
I think they should tell parents how much their kids needs and ask if they want to give more for other kids then that's up to the parents
Allisonc7910
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM

My list isn't like that, it only has one set of everything. 

alwayskk
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I think it should be in the student handbook.

That said, not all teachers who ask for extra supplies are using the community classroom method.

I think everyone should have some common sense. Teachers are human beings. They have mouths to talk with, phones and emails to use.

If you're confused about something, ask them.

iansusie
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting iansusie:

You are complaining about buying 8 folders, 10 boxes of crayons and 2 pairs of scissors (if you shop sales you will spend less than $75 on the supplies)...  I paid $190 supply fee for my child going into Kindergarten in a Public Charter School... the other kid is in a private school and the supply list might be $50, if I don´t catch the sales!

$75 for that? NO WAY!!

8 folders at staples right now - 1.60

scissors - probbably 2 bucks a a pair $4

crayons - $.50 a box where I saw them - $5

Probably $11-$12 with tax.

Where do you shop???

Oh, I know I can get the stuff for way less than $75 but lets say the mother doesn´t want to be bothered with sales and decides to buy full price. Even then it will not be even close to $75 for the list the OP mentions. Yes, Walmart has the crayola crayons for 50 cents so, $5 for 10 boxes. I saw Fiskar scissors at walgreens for 99 cents. And they had folders 8/$1

What I was stating is, I do not have to buy supplies for my kindergartener but I had to pay $190 supply fee and I guarantee my child will have to use "common pot" stuff, he won´t have his OWN stuff that belongs just to him and he won´t bring ANYTHING that is left home at the end of the school year....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured