Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Family" is left money after death....Guess I am not family....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My Grandfather recently passed away. He was my Mom's stepdad. My Mom has been dead since I was a child. Well...everyone alway said "You are family to him, even if it isn't by blood" But then I got nothing when he passed. It isn't about the money....it just says that I wasn't family to him like I thought. Makes me question a lot.... Makes me wonder if I dont matter/am not really considered family by the rest of them....

To those of you who have made me realize that I am just blowing this out of proportion and connecting 2 things that shouldn't be, thank you. I feel better now. He mattered to me, and I am sure I did to him. And thank you also for the condolences, we are doing okay most of the time...and hopefully 'they' are right that it gets easier with time. I am leaving this post now, because it just isn't worth arguing with the people who think I am just a money hungry piece of shit. Thanks again to those of you who offered logic/support.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM
That's who should get his hard earned money. His living children.

Quoting Anonymous:

My aunt and uncle. So, his biological children. It makes sense....if you are going with JUST biological...but then the whole "My stepdaughter was like my own child" is kinda horseshit isn't it. I think I'm just going to not think about it, and just believe he really did think of me as family.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who all got money?

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Are you related to my mom's side of the family?

When my gma died (my gpa is still alive and they were happily married btw), her sisters stole a bunch of my gma's and gpa's stuff. There are 8 in her family but her brother passed as did one of his two kids. Every one of her sisters except one is bickering and fighting over the inheritance (they don't have yet bc gpa is alive). They want my uncle's son out of the will (I think he should get it all - he's been there for my gpa out of love).

It's disgusting.

Quoting KitT.Kat:

I hate when people do this shit. When my grandparents died the whole goddamn family turned on each other with everyone being a whiny, bitchy little beggar screaming about how they need something to prove that they were really loved.

Disgusting. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Wow....that is just awful!!!! I can't even imagine that. Guess I shouldn't be feeling so sorry for myself! I have always (and still do) believed that blood is not thicker than water. They are YOUR children...therefore they are HER grandchildren. I feel for you and your kids. 

Quoting Aichia:

I feel your pain. My mother has cut me out of her will because she doesn't want to risk my kids & wife to get anything. Her views are blood comes first & since SO carried our kids they are not blood related to her

myhandsomelove
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Maybe he felt you were doing good and didn't need it...just because he didn't leave you anything does not mean he didn't love you...i know you said that you don't care about the money but complaining that you didn't get anything says other wise....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iloveashton804
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Of course they are not. My Grandma had my sister and I go through the house and put post-its on what we wanted. I refused. It's too morbid to me. I don't know. But I did ask her to leave me something that meant a lot to her that I could pass on to my only DD. Family heirlooms mean a lot to me as i've gotten older.

Quoting ColieO:

Because money and material things are absolutely necessary to know that they loved you when they were living...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Ok. I just can't imagine having a child pass away, then leave their kids out of the will. I would divy it up evenly between all 'families' of my children....them or their kids if they have passed. Like I said though...the money is nothing...I have money....it's just that I don't see how he actually considered my mother 'his daughter'  and me 'family'....

Quoting Anonymous:

That's who should get his hard earned money. His living children.

Quoting Anonymous:

My aunt and uncle. So, his biological children. It makes sense....if you are going with JUST biological...but then the whole "My stepdaughter was like my own child" is kinda horseshit isn't it. I think I'm just going to not think about it, and just believe he really did think of me as family.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who all got money?

TexasWife
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM

My mom had to literally take my grandmothers sewing box from her house the day she passed away. My Aunt had been getting rid of everything my grandmother marked for me in her post its and will that was suppose to go to me. Why? My Aunt said I wasn't family because I wasn't blood and I didn't deserve those things. Left me knowing exactly what my Aunt thought. Cherish your pictures and your memories. My grandma left me nothing. It doesn't mean that she didn't see me as family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM

before I posted this, I knew everyone would think this....if it was about money, I'd just take stuff out of his house and sell it....it isn't about the money. Oh well. Thanks for the 'support'.

Quoting myhandsomelove:

Maybe he felt you were doing good and didn't need it...just because he didn't leave you anything does not mean he didn't love you...i know you said that you don't care about the money but complaining that you didn't get anything says other wise....

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Doesn't mean that that's how he felt...  Do you know if he had a will?  Did everyone else get something?  Don't assume because you didn't get anything he didn't love you. 

kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Dont dwell on it. Focus on your immediate family and dont give this another thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)