Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being Fat or smoking...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 241 Replies
3 moms liked this
Im tired of people bashing smokers when obesity is just as harmful to your body. This is for those people who are overweight and have an opinion about smokers. REALLY??? It's an addiction people. Put the cupcake down and keep pick up a carrot!
Bottom line is both are bad for you. Can't wait to hear what people have to say. Hopefully someone has the courage to agree! Society are such hypocrites....

Update: So basically what it all comes down to is that majority of you say its ok to call someone a killer and disgusting; but saying put the cupcake down is beyond rude and I should go fuck myself as many of you said? That's my point.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gemikris82
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM
3 moms liked this

both are equally bad. but i think people are more tolarnt of smokers.

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM
3 moms liked this

Well, I do think being overweight is harmful to your health, smoking leads to cancer, heart disease, limb removal, etc etc etc.

I wouldnt say they are equally harmful.

ETA FOR THOSE WHO LOVE TO ARGUE

Yes, being overweight MAY lead to cancer, heart disease etc. HOWEVER, smoking INCREASES your chances dramatically more of contracting any of the above.

So no, IMO smoking is worse than being overweight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:40 AM
People who never smoked get cancer. And yes, obesity does lead to many health things. Diabetic, breathing problems, heart disease, joint pain, and many more..

Quoting mommy_me:

Well, I do think being overweight is harmful to your health, smoking leads to cancer, heart disease, limb removal, etc etc etc.

girl_incognito
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually obesity can cause the things you have listed as well.

But I think you are correct it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Quoting mommy_me:

To the op,food can be an addiction as well.

BeverlyKaye9878
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM
15 moms liked this
Smoking is worse, sorry. You can lose weight, you can't "lose" cancer.

Plus being over weight is only hurting yourself. Secondhand smoke is killing others as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Love060708kids
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Yes, people who never smoked get cancer because they get lung cancer from second hand smoke.

Quoting Anonymous:

People who never smoked get cancer. And yes, obesity does lead to many health things. Diabetic, breathing problems, heart disease, joint pain, and many more..

Quoting mommy_me:

RhondaVeggie
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:43 AM
A smoker made the choice to start smoking knowing that it's highly addictive. Most people don't make the choice to get fat, there's often a trigger like illness or injury or they gain a lot of weight while pregnant.

If you are actively trying to be fat, stuffing your face with crap constantly and refusing to get any exercise, then you are just as bad as someone who smokes but that's reasonably rare. Most people who are overweight at least make some effort to get healthier and I know very few people who make any effort to quit smoking.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Smoking is always caused by addiction. Obesity IS NOT ALWAYS caused by addiction. Apples & oranges. How about we all admit we all have or will have some sort of health issue at some point in our lives, stop judging others, & move the fuck on?!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM
So obese parents with obese kids is not a danger to health problems. And not everyone looses the weight. What if obese person who never smoked gets cancer?? Than what??

Quoting BeverlyKaye9878:

Smoking is worse, sorry. You can lose weight, you can't "lose" cancer.

Plus being over weight is only hurting yourself. Secondhand smoke is killing others as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattedMom81
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I live with this problem in my house, so I can give you this insight.

People generally see smoking as a habit, something picked up, which means it's something that can be stopped. It's something you don't need to do to live, and in fact slowly kills you if you do it. That's why so many people harp on smokers; it's elective.

People see obese people as ones who took something we need, food, and went overboard with it. Then, you have many obese people who say that they've tried to lose weight and can't, or that it's hormonal, yadda yadda. 

Telling someone to quit smoking is a heck of a lot less personal than telling someone to stop eating the way they are.

I say that I live with this, because my sister is obese, and nothing you say gets to her. She continues her habits, but when I was a smoker, she used to complain all the time. I've tried helping her, but it doesn't work. 

I completely agree with you, though. An even larger pet peeve about that is when I see obese children. Their parents are killing them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN