Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I haven't been to the dentist in 10 years.

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:13 AM
  • 0 Replies

I made an appointment for early next month.  I'm 29 and I haven't been since I was 19.  Before then, I hadn't been since I was 9.  I didn't go as a kid/teenager because I was raised by my single mother on welfare and she couldn't really afford to take me.  When I went at age 19 (self pay), they complemented me how well I had kept my teeth in all that time.  I brush and floss daily and when I didn't have money for toothpaste, I used baking soda.  Sometimes I still do because I want to stay away from all the chemicals in conventional toothpaste.  In high school, I fell off my bicycle and chipped one of my teeth.  Mom and I couldn't afford to get it fixed but the dentist fixed it for free when I was 19 just to be nice.  I was very happy.  I had to go through junior and senior year and graduation pictures with a chipped tooth.  I also have an overbite.  A classmate told me my mouth looked like a bag of nails :(

I haven't gone between 19 and 29 because at 1st I was a single mom myself and barely kept up with my daughter's visits.  Now the whole family has been on my husband's insurance for some years and I am comfortable going and being able to pay in case we have a big bill.  I have made sure the kids have kept regular appointments.  The repaired chipped tooth broke off again a few weeks ago.  After I'm back at regular cleanings myself, I want to get it looked at.  And possibly get braces.  I don't care I'll be 30+ with braces.  It's important to me because I've had an overbite my whole life.  I'm just happy I can finally afford to do things for myself.  There is no greater feeling that working yourself out of poverty.

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN