Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

food stamp/pa question...eta a little more specific....

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM
  • 124 Replies

Poll

Question: Should pa recipients be required to take a budgeting/couponing class? If only voting and not expressing opinions, please bump. Ty :)

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 133

View Results

Should food stamp recipients be required to take a budgeting and/or couponing class? Why or why not? Please...NO arguing. This is opinions only. There is Jo right or wrong answer. I will post my opinion later in an edit.

In my state, when u go back to court over support or custody, both parents r required to take a parenting class each time. The cost is $100 each person, each time. The parents have an option to do the class in person or online. What if; to save tax $, the course was an online course, free of charge to the recipient. With a quiz at the end. That way, the govt would only be paying for one class that is used over and over. Say they have 30 days to complete it. Would you be more comfortable spending the tax money for the class that way? Only paying the instructor once?
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ElitestJen
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM
3 moms liked this
Yep. They should also be required to work....full time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM
I would take the class if offered.
praisinghim2day
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Bumpity bump bump
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Yes, they absolutely should.  And a cooking class (not sure about the couponing, if you don't buy processed foods, coupons don't help all that much). 

And a nutrition class as well.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM
3 moms liked this

WHY make them take couponing classes?? That would cost the states more money just having to pay someone to come in and teach them AND who is to say they will use that info. I see women in line at the grocery store that are on PA already using coupons.....not all the time but sometimes. I think the More Responsible moms do try to stretch the FS as far as they can

smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Quoting ElitestJen:

Some people cant work. But I do agree that those who are able should either have a job or be actively looking for a job. 

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I think with any form of government assistance that they should make the requirements a touch stricter becuase it seems a bit easy to take advantage of the programs the government offers

mstkn.identity
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Agreed. That is if they are 100% capable of working.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM
I had to take a class about budgeting, and have to go back every three months to take another. It's really helped.
TLIF1281
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this

I get food stamps and I coupon. I would totally take a couponing class if they offered it! I think others should as well. It could help them get off food stamps to. Extreem couponing! Tho since moving couponing and sales have blown big time. It's kinda depressing actually. I loved doin it where we moved from. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)