Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My UNPOPULAR opinion (more than likely will offend) EDIT AGAIN

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Babies with flat heads have lazy ass parents

Whenever I see a baby with a flat head in the back, I automatically think to myself "They're lazy and more than likely prop the baby's bottle." Of course there are exceptions. Like if a baby is the hospital for a long time and can't be held.

I have two friends that help make my opinion valid, to me anyway. One has two kids who were formula fed since birth and she's always propped bottles. Both have heads as flat as their backs. The other has a son 13 days younger than mine. He too has a flat head. When my friend brought his son over, he propped his bottle.

All four of my kids have little round heads. I did breastfeed them (except one...but I never propped their bottle). I just think its horrible for a baby to have a flat head.

There's my unpopular opinion/confession for today.

**This has nothing to do with formula VS. breast. Its about laziness. That is all.

Okay! I know some babies are born this way. I did say there are exceptions didn't I? The three babies I described were NOT along with many other babies in my family that had their bottles propped. That is why is I said I AUTOMATICALLY (automatic as in the first thought) think.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
JJSMOMMYxox
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I would be more upset that they prop the bottles...

AmyJeremyx11
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Two of my babies had flat heads on one side. They slept with their heads turned to one side. I'd move them, but they'd turn them back. I didn't prop any bottles up. One of the other one's head started to shape like the crook of my arm because I held her so much. Their heads are fine now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tifbrown
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Aww that must have sucked. I think that is definitely an exception haha. I had that problem once, except it was coming out the other end and I only breastfed... ya, not a fun experience.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tifbrown:

Gah! Bottle proping is my biggest pet peeve. Like really, how hard is it to hold a bottle. Not to mention it's so wonderful to watch a child eat whether it is breast or bottle. They look at you and just look so sweet and happy. Who would pass that up.

I propped a bottle maybe twice and that was because I had a stomach bug and he was nxt to me while was stuck with my face in the toilet. In general I agree with you. Also don't believe in putting kids to bed with a bottle in their mouth.

Tiffany

seraphimsong
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Their heads mold. So if they lay on the floor alot their heads get really flat in the back. That's why tummy time and changing positions is so important.

Quoting Pink_Sunshine:

No idea how a parent controls their kids heads. My Boys heads were always round. I thought that's just how all Kids' heads were.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Quoting rennez:

My dd had torticolis. One neck muscle was underdeveloped BC of her position in utero as a twin. She underwent lots of pt and wore a helmet and still has a flat spot bc of the muscle problem. Perfect example of why you shouldn't judge. Kid was totally lopsided in the head

exactly , thats why when I post to op avout I said I too tend to jump to that conclusion BUT it doesnt mean that I am correct on why that flat spot is there only the parent knows.

MFCsarah
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Yes, it is true some babies come out with flat spots and most babies heads are "squished" from being pushed out of the birth canal... But yes, it is called positional plagiocephaly, or "your baby lays in the same position all the time" It does not necessarily mean the parets don't hold their children but that they always lay with their heads the same way. But I do agree that I feel the same, that when I see a child with an overly flattened looking head, I feel the parents to hold the child more. Having a flat spot can cause problems for the child because more effort is needed for them to turn their heads off of the flat spot and can make them NOT move their heads which affects the strength of their neck muscles...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Yeah I know. My son didn't get an awful lot of it (and I propped his bottles sometimes), but his head is just as beautiful and round as the day he was pulled out of my belly.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? It makes me think, "Maybe tummy time is important."

eh maybe not always though niether of mygirls every did tummy time lol.

Here;s why my oldest would freak out if she was laid on the floor EVER back or tummy ... she never even crawled she started walking at 9 months lol.

My youngest had suck back acid reflux that is she was laid on her stomach up untill 6 months she would vomit every where from the presure even with meds. So by time she was able to lay on her stmach she didnt want to lay on the floor because she could sit up lol.

I know they say its importian but kids can def live with out it lol.but my girls we always in my arms or up right around tummy time age though  :O) so maybe that helped.

jillj501
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM
I think in SOME cases you are right. Some infants have other issues that contribute to it though.
GibsonSD92
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM
My son is held all the time.. He gets at least 30 minutes of tummy time throughout the day and 90% of the bottles he's given are not propped.. But guess what, he does have a small flat spot from sleeping on his back. You wanna say flat spots are caused by lazy parenting.. But how about you look at the bigger picture here and realize that most of us are just doing what our pedis told us to.. "back is best for sleeping" is all they try to drill into your mind...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM
I don't judge that shit because I'm no doctor. Why don't you stick to diagnosing your own kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN