Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you believe in baptizing babies?

Posted by   + Show Post

=?utf-8?B?VGFrZSBhIGxvb2sgYXQgdGhpcyBwaWN0dXJlIQ==?=

I do. I'm Catholic and have baptized both my children Catholic as infants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Replies (81-90):
Drangon
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I think a newborn should be baptized- it's a family event- a joyous one and it's a posssible spiritual protection. Why take the chance and leave the child unbaptized? 

Chatholic Children are "confirmed" later in life- the child can choose to be Catholic or not for them self. 

marchantmom06
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
So you don't practice a religion?

Baptizing a child catholic doesn't mean the child will remain catholic! That goes for any religion.

But should someone who does follow religion stop attending church because they might force those beliefs on their children by going? No that's ludicrous.

Quoting laura_sims:

For me it is forcing. Other people may see it as following their beliefs. That is okay 

for me baptizing is forcing something

to each their own 

Quoting marchantmom06:

How exactly is following your beliefs making your child one religion or not? That's silly.

Quoting laura_sims:

I would still never do it. I would never try to force my children into any religion 

Quoting kkps725:

It's called original sin, it's not that the baby will go to hell, it is that you are giving your baby to God.

Quoting laura_sims:

No i dont

i think anyone who believes that an innocent baby is born with sin and will go to hell is silly 

but to each their own 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this
aww thank you .and god bless you and your family as well.

Quoting FutureSoccerM0m:

Congratulations and God Bless you all!

Quoting Anonymous:

i do and both my babys will be getting baptized this year . Cant wait we are even making a big party for them . I am catholic and so will my babies .

kkps725
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Our slates were wiped clean, yes. But everybody is born with original sin. That's like saying everyone is going to heaven because Jesus died on the cross, that all sins are forgiven.. Atheists still go to hell. their sins are not forgiven because they don't know Christ and have no relationship with him and therefore have not asked him for forgiveness.

Quoting Simple-Beauty:

We were absolved of that sin when Jesus died.

Quoting kkps725:

It's called original sin, I am Lutheran and they baptize babies but I am back and forth on it. I guess I'll figure it out before December lol. But it's not that they will go to hell, it is that you are giving your baby to God.

Quoting Simple-Beauty:

I do not. Babies can't sin, and don't carry their father's sin, so what's the point?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
startupscafe
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Biblically, baptism comes after a child makes the decision to follow Christ, not before. 

I Corinthians 7:14 says that the child is sanctified by the believing parent or else he is unclean.

.ZombieGirl.
1 mom liked this

Nope. I'm Pagan

I do love the dresses that they wear when they are getting baptized. The rest of my family is Catholic.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM
What are your beliefs? Just curious :)

Quoting laura_sims:

No i do not. I do not force (as i see it) my beliefs on my children. I am open to them about what i believe and i also teach them about all religions so that one day they can choose 

Quoting kkps725:

Yeah, as a Lutheran I am back and forth on it. I don't think it is forcing though. It is more or less standing in front of God and telling him that you have every intention of making sure to teach your child about Christ and you plan to raise your child through Christ.

Surely you plan to guide your children through your beliefs right? I mean even if they chose not to accept them as they get older..

Quoting laura_sims:

I would still never do it. I would never try to force my children into any religion 

Quoting kkps725:

It's called original sin, it's not that the baby will go to hell, it is that you are giving your baby to God.

Quoting laura_sims:

No i dont

i think anyone who believes that an innocent baby is born with sin and will go to hell is silly 

but to each their own 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laura_sims

I dont practice a religion no

i dont force any religion on my children. I  am very much against that for my family. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

So you don't practice a religion?

Baptizing a child catholic doesn't mean the child will remain catholic! That goes for any religion.

But should someone who does follow religion stop attending church because they might force those beliefs on their children by going? No that's ludicrous.

Quoting laura_sims:

For me it is forcing. Other people may see it as following their beliefs. That is okay 

for me baptizing is forcing something

to each their own 

Quoting marchantmom06:

How exactly is following your beliefs making your child one religion or not? That's silly.

Quoting laura_sims:

Quoting kkps725:

Quoting laura_sims:

No i dont

but to each their own 

alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JocelynsMommy30
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes We baptized DD when she was 6 months old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured