Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Atheist, can you drop it for one minute?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I told this joke about a guy who is stuck in a flood and his faith in God. In the end, God spoke to him which was the punchline. Before I go further, here is the joke (basically).

There was a man sitting on his porch and it started to rain and flood. A boat cam by and said, "Come on board, and i'll take care of u." and the man replied, "No I'm okay, God will take care of me." The next day the man sat on the balcony on the second floor with the water still rising and another boat came by and said, "Come on board, and I'll take care of u." and the man replied, "No God will take care of me." The third day the man sat on his roof and another boat came by and said, "Come board and I'll take care of u." and the man replied, "No, God will take care of me." They man drowned and died. When he went to hevan he asked God, "Lord, i thought you were gonna take care of me." and God replied, "Well I sent you three boats."

Literally within the first 10 seconds of me finishing the joke this girl starts on about how she is an atheist. It's like she was waiting for me to finish so she could say it. She said it was funny but it would have been funnier if she was a believer...I do believe in God but I don't believe in Genies, talking animals or any of the other things you hear in jokes, yet I can still enjoy them.

Can you as an Atheist find humor in religious/spiritual based jokes? (and not just the ones making fun of it, though I do enjoy those too lol)

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Yes. I'm a non believer & still found it funny.
Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I agree with everything in your post.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I do believe in God but even if not, you have to admit that the joke has some great ironic humor. I would think, those that do believe, would actually be more offended than those that don't, because it is sort of playing on the common sense or lack there of, of a believer more than it is offensive to an atheist.

Sekirei
by Nari on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Eh, wasn't that great of a joke. I would never have cut you off, because that is rude.

crazy_mommyof2
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Quoting DarlaHood:

There's also one about an atheist and a shark.  And right as the shark is about to eat the atheist, they guy yells, Oh God, please help me.  So the sky opens up and everything freezes, and a voice comes out of the heavens and says, well why should I help you when you don't even believe in me?  Do you want me to change your heart?  And the atheist says, no, but if you're really God, change the sharks heart.  So the sky closes, and things unfreeze and the shark takes pause and says, Thank you God for this food I'm about to receive...

oh my GOD!! That is so funny!! I have to tell my hubby that one :)
hope_love_dream
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:18 AM

i'm agnostic and i found it hilarious

hope_love_dream
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:20 AM

that one's good

Quoting Anonymous:

Here's a good one I have always enjoyed.

Four Catholic men and a Catholic woman were having coffee.

The first Catholic man tells his friends, 'My son is a priest.
When he walks into a room, everyone calls him Father’.”

The second Catholic man chirps, 'My son is a Bishop.
When he walks into a room people call him Your Grace’.

The third Catholic gent says, 'My son is a Cardinal.
When he enters a room everyone says Your Eminence’.

The fourth Catholic man chirps, 'My son is the Pope.
When he walks into a room people call him Your Holiness’.

Since the lone Catholic woman was sipping her coffee in silence, the four men give her a subtle, 'Well….?'

She replies, 'I have a daughter. She is slim, tall and 38D-24-36.
When she walks into a room, people say, Oh My God’.

redredhead
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:21 AM
How would you Christians feel if someone told an atheist joke?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coconut01
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:23 AM
LOL I think its funny
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Quoting redredhead:

How would you Christians feel if someone told an atheist joke?

I am an equal opportunity jokester.  It's all good.

I actually enjoy conversing with atheists (and people of other belief systems).  Not because I want to convert them, but because I want to really understand where they are coming from and I hope they will understand where I'm coming from if they are curious and ask.  However, I would consider myself open-minded and open-hearted towards people of all beliefs and lifestyles, so I'm generally less offensive than what they have in mind or have experienced in relation to Christians. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN