Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religious Conversion

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Sorry if this has been done before & all replies can be anon if you like, but I'm genuinely curious: IF you've converted (or dropped religion all together), what religion were you previously, what do you practice now (if anything), & what made you change?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM
I think people *should* devote that kind of study & investigation into what works for them - if anything - spiritually. Glad you found your personal truth.

Quoting MonkeyPeanut79:

I was agnostic for a long time and now I'm a Christian. It was a very long and intense process for me when I became a Christian. I even took comparative religion classes at my local community college to study more on religions. I knew something was missing in my life and for awhile I thought that Buddhism would fill that void but it didn't so I started searching more. 

When I finally let myself entertain the notion of Christianity something just clicked. It's been a struggle and sometimes I still falter in my faith but deep down I know that Christianity is my path. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM
LOL :)

Quoting razmatazthespaz:

my dad is, and i know he isn't exactly happy about it... it's just not something that we talk about really.... if  i had made some announcement or actually used the word Atheist my dad would've FREAKED! lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh okay. I got the impression that they might have been really into church and everything. Glad that there wasn't a big deal made about it. :)

Quoting razmatazthespaz:

they didn't really...

i don't talk about it with my dad, and my mom doesn't really care. my dad thinks i'm agnostic anyway, it's just easier. but it wasn't like some big announcement i made...they just kinda gradually figured out that i'm not really a hardcore believer anymore just through standard conversation....

Quoting Anonymous:

How did your family take the news?

Quoting razmatazthespaz:

i was raised christian ( a little of everything, dad was seventh day adventist and mom flip flopped through various churches:baptist, protestant, lutheran)

and i am now atheist... not much of story really. nothing bad or anything, i just hit about 11 years old and realized i just didn't  believe in any of it.... i continued going to church for a couple of years and then kinda found ways out of it. then the only time i ever went was if a friend invited me......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM
It's nice when something clicks & you realize it's what's right for you. :)

Quoting Lishes:

I tried for a long time to be a Christian.  It never truly fit what I believed.  I considered myself agnostic for a long time.  After studying what Paganism for a while it all just clicked. 

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I was born Greek Orthodox Christian,at 14 I converted to Hinduism...and the reason I converted was because Christianity did not answer the questions I had and Hinduism did

mrsbrimer
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM

not me, but my DH is currently in the process of converting to the Catholic Church. he was baptized a Methodist, but never practiced any religion, now that we are married and my whole entire family is super Catholic, he wants to convert, he is liking it so far.

butlerro1013
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I was raised Quaker, am now atheist.  I think for me it was a process of coming to terms with the fact that I've always been an atheist deep down and letting go of the beliefs I was raised with to view life/existence as I truly felt it.  I'm quite happy and comfortable with my decision and (lack of) beliefs.

MonkeyPeanut79
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I think that study is good too. Even studying my own faith over time has been helpful. I think that some Christians out there think it's wrong to question things but I don't. When I question and search and even get angry at God sometimes I feel like it helps me grow in my faith :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I think people *should* devote that kind of study & investigation into what works for them - if anything - spiritually. Glad you found your personal truth.

Quoting MonkeyPeanut79:

I was agnostic for a long time and now I'm a Christian. It was a very long and intense process for me when I became a Christian. I even took comparative religion classes at my local community college to study more on religions. I knew something was missing in my life and for awhile I thought that Buddhism would fill that void but it didn't so I started searching more. 

When I finally let myself entertain the notion of Christianity something just clicked. It's been a struggle and sometimes I still falter in my faith but deep down I know that Christianity is my path. 

Freela
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I was raised nominally Christian- religion was never a big part of our lives. As a child, I remember having certain spiritual ideas that I always thought would mesh with Christianity, just because that was what I knew. As a teenager I decided to read the Bible cover to cover, and was kind of shocked at what was in there. It didn't mesh with my spirituality in the way that I thought it would. I tried to adhere to it anyhow because I think I was searching for something, but it never felt like a good match. I also read about a variety of other religions, including Hinduism (since my now-dh, then-boyfriend, was from a Hindu family) and I was surprised to find that their more pantheistic concept of God was closer to my own. However, I still tried hard to embrace Christianity for several years. In university I took a comparative religious elective and a psychology class on views of the self... through this I became very interested in Buddhism. It seemed closest to what I instinctivelyl had felt was true since childhood. However, I really didn't develop that into practice until I was much older and was suffering from depression/anxiety after the birth of my second child. I came to a realization that something had to change, and that I was going to make a real effort to focus on the present, to discipline my mind, to meditate, and to otherwise try to be less miserable in my daily life. Eight years later I dislike labels, but if pressed I would identify myself as a western Buddhist. So that's my conversion story- not too exciting, just a process of uncovering my own beliefs over about 25 years!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Very succinct! :)

Quoting shivasgirl:

I was born Greek Orthodox Christian,at 14 I converted to Hinduism...and the reason I converted was because Christianity did not answer the questions I had and Hinduism did

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Raised atheist, but became Christian when I was 13. I realized that there was more to the universe...it never felt right until I came.in to my.faith
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)