Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religious Conversion

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Sorry if this has been done before & all replies can be anon if you like, but I'm genuinely curious: IF you've converted (or dropped religion all together), what religion were you previously, what do you practice now (if anything), & what made you change?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Replies (41-50):
mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Baptised Catholic. 

Raised Presbyterian.

No longer a believer in Christianity. I am spiritual but not part of organized religion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Completely understandable. I can relate to having had similar feelings for years.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

i looked into different branches of christainity, went to masses, looked into buddism, judism, & hinduism checked out temples. looked into unitarianism (sp?)but everything feels wrong. like im cheating on something *shrugs*. no, i dont idenify as Christain. i believe in a higher being (and soem catholic customs are hard to shake), dont buy a majority of the bible (if any)... although perhaps it is based on something bigger, but it was written by man and Im  shakey on the Jesus situation. The Catholic Churchs history and the way it works, and its practices just make me sick. i looked into extensivly. if anyone else ever has and would love a good debate let me know-lol. i believe insomething but orginized religion is not it :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Did you find that the tenets of the Christian faith no longer agreed with your personal truth or was it something else that led to the change? (Forgive me if I'm being too nosy. Just genuinely curious.)

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Baptised Catholic. 

Raised Presbyterian.

No longer a believer in Christianity. I am spiritual but not part of organized religion.

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

were you raised Catholic? What did you decide? What did you do?

Quoting Anonymous:

Completely understandable. I can relate to having had similar feelings for years.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

i looked into different branches of christainity, went to masses, looked into buddism, judism, & hinduism checked out temples. looked into unitarianism (sp?)but everything feels wrong. like im cheating on something *shrugs*. no, i dont idenify as Christain. i believe in a higher being (and soem catholic customs are hard to shake), dont buy a majority of the bible (if any)... although perhaps it is based on something bigger, but it was written by man and Im  shakey on the Jesus situation. The Catholic Churchs history and the way it works, and its practices just make me sick. i looked into extensivly. if anyone else ever has and would love a good debate let me know-lol. i believe insomething but orginized religion is not it :/

kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM
My father is Jehovahs Witness but kind of jack on it. My mom was raised Methodist but became an atheist. Dad still holds to his faith somewhat. Ive learned not to.share on religious topics. I dont get preachy but try to suade my mother with scientific proofs of crration. My mom thinks Im having a fantasy because everything was made.from primordial soup and thats it. Dad is more than cool with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Was your family also Athiest? Are they still & if so, how did they react to the news of your newfound religion?

Quoting kaffedrikke:

I was Atheist.then became a Christian. The inner workings of.this world and our universe are way too complex to have it come from.evolution.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NaturalMama1026
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM
I was raised in a non denominational christian church. I am now part of the Hebrew roots movement which is Biblical judaism with the belief in Yahshuah(Jesus) as the Messiah. After researching scripture and history myself I realized any religion that originated from the Catholic church had added pagan practices and Greek philosophy. Rabbinical judaism( modern judaism) is not biblical judaism as the Talmud adds and takes away from scripture in certain places just as the different "Christian counsels" have over history. Ethnically I am Jewish but no one in our family practices." This people honors me with their lips but their heart is far from me and in VAIN they worship me teaching as doctrines the commandments of men " mark 7:6-7 there is a way that YHWH (god) instructed us to worship do other things is in vain. His word has profit, mans instruction may have a form of godliness but denies the power of god. 2 Timothy 3:5
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Catholic turned Pagan.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM
I tried for a long time to be Christian, I grew up in the bible belt, so that's all I knew. My mom is agnostic and my dad is atheist. I knew something was there, but Christianity never felt right.

I was agnostic for a while, then I discovered paganism. I felt my light bulb moment :) my mom still doesn't like it, though, haha...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM

In a way. I just couldn't agree with much of it anymore. So much contradiction. The sexism was the clincher for me though. I couldn't stand behind it and "believe" anymore.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you find that the tenets of the Christian faith no longer agreed with your personal truth or was it something else that led to the change? (Forgive me if I'm being too nosy. Just genuinely curious.)

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Baptised Catholic. 

Raised Presbyterian.

LectioDivina
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I was raised Christian... I'm now Gnostic Christian...

I know it doesn't seem like that much of a leap but there's a HUGE amount of differences...

I don't believe Jesus died on a cross

I don't believe he Held Powers we all don't have

I don't believe he had anything against Gay people

I believe he was married and had a child

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)