Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate Air Conditioning!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I hate the fact that as soon as May hits everyone has their house closed up, sealed up, and the A/C running. This is the reason people die during blackouts. A/C makes you less able to handle your enviroment. I don't care who you are or where you live. People lived there before electricity and they survived. Drink your dang water/gatorade and let your body adjust. There is no real excuse, just the fact that we don't want to be uncomfortable.

Things I hate to hear:

"Sweating is so gross" - your body is cooling off naturally.

"But my hair gets all frizzy and crazy." - Seriously? Your hair is more important than your bodies natural conditioning? WTVR.

Shut off your A/C and condition yourself to your world. It's better for you that way.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM
I live in south tx it gets 100 plus here. I'll take my ac and pay my bill thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queentroll117
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM

my husband actually said the same thing, he is an RN

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM
We lived without ac for 5 years. We never 'adapted' we would shut all blinds and sit in as near darkness as possible with as many fans going as possible and still have no energy to do anything. Even my kids would sit and watch tv because it was too hot to play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM
I haven't turned my ac on until today. It's over 90 with extreme humitity. My son and I have asthma and will end up in the er without it.
2PlusTwinsAt35
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I have lived with seizures from a brain injury I had as a small child.  Excessive heat affects the scar tissue in my head -- it can not be removed.  When that happens it causes swelling in my headthat is very, very painful.  I've been hospitalized in the past during excessive heat waves.  At no time did the doctor tell me that I was my fault for not drinking gatorade.  In fact, he advised me to stay indoors or in a cooled off space. 

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Actually back before ac there were more trees that gave us shade and less cement that radiates heat so although people lived with out ac it's not the same.

I live in Houston. It's too hot not to have ac. With the heat index it gets in the 110s and thats dangerous.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

people die every year from the heat. and its been proven some people are more sensitive to the heat then others. I grew up in a very hot area. my parents didn't have ac. we just had fans. it was miserable. I am 1 of those people that is very sensitive to the heat. even tho I grew up in it, without ac, my body never got use to it. I get physically sick from the heat. I get nauseous, headaches, dizzy, lightheaded. I lose my appetite. I have to have AC otherwise I get seriously ill. I try and go as long as I can without the ac. but for me, anything over 80 degrees and I am straight sick. my husband on the other hand, grew up in an area that was very cold. summers never got over 75 degrees. however he can handle heat very well. he can do 120 degree weather very well. it doesn't bother him. he loves it in fact. sometimes sensitivity to heat is beyond your control. trust me, I wish I could handle heat. summers are long and miserable for me. not only cuz I have to avoid getting too hot and sick, but it makes life more difficult. it really limits what I can do. I can really go outside in early morning or after sun goes down. after 10 mins in the heat, I am straight sick. it can be hard to understand if you aren't affected by the heat. but its true that some people are and its really beyond their control.

mom2camy
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Oh please, is there anything people won't bitch about? For the life of me I just can't understand why some are so intent on concerning themselves with how others choose to live, especially something like A/C... really?! I live in Florida and mid summer when the heat index is well over 100° with the humidity at 100% your damn straight my A/C is kicked in high gear. How petty you are to make such judgments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

You're not paying my bills, so your opinion doesn't matter! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)