Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you teach a 6 yr old empathy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
Towards animals?

I'm not talking about a kid who purposely abuses animals. I'm talking about a kid that can't grasp the concept that a small animal like a rat can be hurt of they fall/jump out of your hands.

Talking and explaining the animal would most likely die if it falls isn't working and since it's not my kid and not my animal I can't just tell the kid they can't touch the rat.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Bump
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM

You just have to explain to them that the animal is small and can get hurt easily. Be very specific, and show the kid how to handle the animal properly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Watch animal-friendly movies, such as Chicken Run, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, Shiloh, Free Willy, Babe, My Dog Skip, Finding Nemo, and Shark Tale.
Read your children books that show animals as feeling individuals, such as Lassie Come Home, Black Beauty, Charlotte's Web, Frederick, Blueberries for Sal, The Forgotten Door, and Make Way for Ducklings.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Thanks. I'll be going to the library tonight to pick up some books.

Quoting Anonymous:

Watch animal-friendly movies, such as Chicken Run, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, Shiloh, Free Willy, Babe, My Dog Skip, Finding Nemo, and Shark Tale.

Read your children books that show animals as feeling individuals, such as Lassie Come Home, Black Beauty, Charlotte's Web, Frederick, Blueberries for Sal, The Forgotten Door, and Make Way for Ducklings.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:42 PM
I've done that weekly for the last three months.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

You just have to explain to them that the animal is small and can get hurt easily. Be very specific, and show the kid how to handle the animal properly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured